Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about the wiring of the CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone who has a CHAdeMO adapter help me out? I'm designing an adapter for the European superchargers for drivers of US vehicles, and of course I need to make sure I get the connections just right. I know the superchargers use the four power pins of their modified mennekes connector for DC, but I'm not entirely sure which ones are which. I believe this should be easy to figure out by testing a CHAdeMO adapter using a multimeter or continuity tester. Could someone test the continuity from the two large pins on the CHAdeMO end to check which ones they're connected to on the Tesla end? Thanks!

I can see tonight if I can make some sense of it. I have a CHAdeMO adapter. If I don't forget this thread I'll get back to you tonight.

I believe he wants to know which CHAdeMO pin connects to which of the Mennekes pins.

I can imagine it's something like

CHAdeMO DC+ connects to Mennekes L1, L2
CHAdeMO DC- connects to Mennekes, L3, N

Reactions: S-19910
Alright, turned out it was correct. As you can see, I am a true artist.

chademotesla.png

For reference, here's a chart I found showing the three compatible modes of the type 2 connection, and the ccs combo variant - I've circled the one that Tesla appears to be using at the Superchargers (the only difference being that Tesla's connector is designed to handle higher current):

type2configs.png

• Informative
Reactions: widodh
No success yet. I believe I made all the right connections, but there's no communication between car and charger. I wonder whether anyone else has had success with this. I've seen that short video clip, but it's strange there's no further info from the person who supposedly made it.

• Informative
Reactions: S-19910