Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Tires and need opinion...Got a Flat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a flat tire on the driver side rear, and my understanding is that most reputable companies will not patch it due to the foam lining. Fair enough. I'm thinking about getting the Continental DWS to replace that single wheel.

1. Will i have any issues with the TPMS or will it need any resetting? I plan on bringing just the wheel itself to discounttire, not sure if they need to reset and need the entire vehicle or not.

2. Is the tire pressure dependent on the vehicle or the tire? So regardless of what tire I get, I need to fill it to around the 44psi range correct? As long as 44psi does not exceed the 'MAX PSI' for the tire I'm using?

3. Does anyone see any issues with running 1 tire thats different then all the others or would you recommend getting all new tires? (I have about 10k miles on original tires)

Thanks for the advice all.

3. Does anyone see any issues with running 1 tire thats different then all the others or would you recommend getting all new tires? (I have about 10k miles on original tires)

10k is a terrible mileage to replace a tire. It's too much to really only do one, and too little to feel OK about doing 2.
But I would suggest doing 2 tires, and keeping the 1 good one as a backup in case this happens again.
Differently sized tires will cause a normal car to vibrate at higher speeds, and cause a little extra wear on the differential.
With a Tesla, who knows what it will do to all the autopilot stuff, since the car will think one tire is constantly rotating slower than the others.

Also, get it patched if you can!

Just called the local Discount Tire, which I should have done in the first place instead of going directly to the forums and reading 'older' threads. They said they do the patch work on our tires so I will go that route. Still curious on Question 1 and 2 though just for my future reference. :) Thanks all for the responses so far.

Tire Pressure is recommended by vehicle so you shouldn't have to mess with the TPMS (which is on the valve stem attached to the wheel (the metal part) and not the tire (the rubber part).

I'd recommend keeping the same kind of tire you have in the set, if you have to replace it, at least do both sides at a minimum, then replace the other two with the same eventually.

Plugs are fine with foam insulated tires. Patches and spraycan flat repair kits are a different story.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I had mine patched at VIP auto a mile from my home. A screw was in the tire. I watched them jack it up and take the tire off and patch it. They had to cut out about a 2 inch diameter area of foam. They rebalanced and remounted and it works fine now. They said they had already patched other tesla's with no problem.

I have a flat tire on the driver side rear, and my understanding is that most reputable companies will not patch it due to the foam lining. Fair enough. I'm thinking about getting the Continental DWS to replace that single wheel.

1. Will i have any issues with the TPMS or will it need any resetting? I plan on bringing just the wheel itself to discounttire, not sure if they need to reset and need the entire vehicle or not.

2. Is the tire pressure dependent on the vehicle or the tire? So regardless of what tire I get, I need to fill it to around the 44psi range correct? As long as 44psi does not exceed the 'MAX PSI' for the tire I'm using?

Thanks for the advice all.

When I had to replace one of my tires due to a puncture the SC told me to be sure to replace the damaged tire with the exact same model tire. The guy there said something about Tesla potentially not doing some warranty work later on if they don't match.

Also, I would measure the tire tread on the opposite side and see how much it has worn. I've heard to replace them both if that tire has lost 4/32 from its original depth.

So at a minimum you should probably replace the tire with the same model.

I’d patch the tire too if it was possible but you can replace only one tire if you wanted to. Tire rack will shave the tread of a new tire to match the remaining tread depth of the other tires on your vehicle. If you have AWD, it’s especially more important to have all 4 tires with similar tread depth.

I'd double check that the load rating is high enough for your car. In the perfomance model tire size the load rating is too low on the DWS.

The psi recommendation is for the car and tire. 44psi cold will increase in pressure as it gets hot through use. So I wouldn't try to use a tire with a max psi that's the same as cars recommended cold tire pressure.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I'm in the "patch the tire" camp.

This is the WORST thing you could do. If you're replacing two tires, they should both be on the same "axle."

Replacing two on the same side might give you an advantage visually, but the negatives FAR outweigh that.

what part of “both sides” is contrary to “Same axle”?

both sides would be left and right of the same axle unless your car has an interesting drivetrain configuration!

I have a flat tire on the driver side rear, and my understanding is that most reputable companies will not patch it due to the foam lining. Fair enough.

You are wrong.
Patching foam-lined tire only requires peeling the foam to insert the plug (ideally from the inside), then gluing foam back on. Super easy.
If a tire shop is getting emotional about patching foam-lined tires, it's time to find a new shop!

I'm thinking about getting the Continental DWS to replace that single wheel.

Hopefully, you mean the tire.
And hopefully, the other 3 remaining tires also DWS's, right?
:D

No.
Nothing to reset.
The sensor will re-register with the car once it's back on.

Tire pressure is obviously .... dependent on ... the air in the tire!
Yes, do fill it to match the pressure in the other 3 tires.

I assume you mean 1 new tire that is identical to the other 3 semi-worn ones?
Definitely do NOT mix and match tire brands, models, or sizes on the car (and even if you have a super-compelling reason to deviate from this rule, at least keep same brand/model/size tires on one axle!).

It all depends on the amount of tread that's left on the other 3. How much tread depth do you have left?
If the other tire on the same axle is more than 1/2 worn (down to 5-6/32nds, or lower), then replace both tires on the axle.

Personally, I always go out of the way to assure that I have the same brand/model tiers on all 4 corners of all my cars.
From EV, to minivan, to track toy.

a

If the nail is in the repairable area and within the allowable size, have it repaired. Tesla can repair tires with acoustic foam and some tires shops can do it too. Be sure it is repaired correctly and have it patched from the inside.

If the nail is in the outside tread or is too big, you can measure the tread depth of your other tires and buy one matching used tire on eBay with similar remaining tread depth, though I would e-mail the seller to verify that the tire has never been repaired. You can also buy one new tire and have the tire shaved to match the depth of the other tires. Tire Rack can do it for a fee if you call in to place an order (I've done it before for a track car).