Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about VIN assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it turns out that when I tried to add the car to my insurance (so that I could upload my proof of insurance) they didn't recognize the VIN in their system.

I'm going to check and wait until the RN number changes to my VIN and then try to add the car to the insurance again. I wonder if that's why Tesla waits to update your account with the VIN??

So it turns out that when I tried to add the car to my insurance (so that I could upload my proof of insurance) they didn't recognize the VIN in their system.

I'm going to check and wait until the RN number changes to my VIN and then try to add the car to the insurance again. I wonder if that's why Tesla waits to update your account with the VIN??

It's possible. Do you have an SA? You can always ask them to confirm the VIN and see what they say regarding insurance.

I know it's different depending on where you live, but my SA told me I don't have to have insurance finalized until 60 days after I get the car.

No SA yet. I can bring proof of my current insurance to the pick up location. That will satisfy FLDOT requirements but I was hoping to take advantage of just doing everything online before I picked up the car. I wanted to upload the proof of insurance with the VIN. I'll check again in a few days.

I had the same issue with adding the VIN to my insurance, I had to call them and they forced it on their side. I had my VIN in source code a few weeks back, they scheduled delivery the same day. Same day my sales guy called and also emailed me the same VIN. I'm picking up the car in a few days time. The VIN just appeared a couple of days ago in my account. I've not got an MVPA yet.

Reactions: Paullydoughnut
I got a text from the Tesla sales rep asking me to upload my insurance information to the website. I told them that I couldn't get insurance because I didn't have a VIN (even though I had it from the source but not officially on the site).

She told me that I just needed to upload my current policy. This was confusing because the note on the website said that the policy needed to have the VIN. Anyways, I did as she asked. She also verified my VIN.

However, as of today, my VIN is not on the site and my insurance company doesn't recognize the VIN. I'll see if things change as I get closer to pick up next Friday.

She told me that I just needed to upload my current policy. This was confusing because the note on the website said that the policy needed to have the VIN. Anyways, I did as she asked. She also verified my VIN.

I don't think that list of states is accurate. Here in PA, we've bought a couple cars and didn't inform State Farm until after we got it home (just did this like 2 months ago with my husband's Prius - even took them a couple days to process and update everything).

My SA had me upload my current policy (for the Impreza I'm trading in) and nobody's said anything else to me. So I'm gonna wait it out.