Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Airbags Deployed, 12v Dead, Car Locked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
Couldn’t find anything specific on this.

I’m aware of the process to access and recharge a dead 12V to then get access to unlocking the car under NORMAL circumstances.

Does this also work if the airbags have been deployed since the pyro fuse has been blown?

Or does the blown pyro fuse have nothing do with accessing the car once there is enough power to the 12v battery again?

The car had plenty of power when airbags deployed. So I’m assuming the pyro fuse cut the main battery from charging the 12v battery and at some point the 12v just died within the 36 hours the car sat? Seems oddly quick to go flat.

So charging the 12v should give access to the doors again?

Will it also give access to the touchscreen to wipe any personal data?

The location where the car is at didn’t know how to charge the 12V, nor did they want to try even with details. Car is being moved somewhere more appropriate but I want to make sure I have all the facts before it gets there just in case I need to wall them through it.

The pyro fuse is for the high voltage traction battery. This only powers the high draw stuff, like the motor, heat, and a/c. The doors, windows, radio, and screen are powered by the 12v battery like a regular car. Hooking a jump pack up to the jump leads behind the front bumper cover tow hook cover should boot the car up right away. It should work like usual, but won’t move, as long as nothing’s too broken. The car has really high draw on the 12v system, so it won’t sit that long without a way to keep the 12V battery topped up, although 36 hours does sound a bit short. If you’re talking about how long it will take to wake when put on a charger, it depends on the charger and the condition of the battery in the car. Probably on the order of minutes to almost immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
The pyro fuse is for the high voltage traction battery. This only powers the high draw stuff, like the motor, heat, and a/c. The doors, windows, radio, and screen are powered by the 12v battery like a regular car. Hooking a jump pack up to the jump leads behind the front bumper cover tow hook cover should boot the car up right away. It should work like usual, but won’t move, as long as nothing’s too broken. The car has really high draw on the 12v system, so it won’t sit that long without a way to keep the 12V battery topped up, although 36 hours does sound a bit short. If you’re talking about how long it will take to wake when put on a charger, it depends on the charger and the condition of the battery in the car. Probably on the order of minutes to almost immediately.
The leads behind the tow hook cover only open the frunk.
@jeremymc7
Once the frunk is open, you can get to the 12V battery and jump points. Model 3 manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
SmartSelect_20200505-082153_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
SmartSelect_20200505-082410_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Careful - factory reset doesn't actually wipe anything. Look at recent @GreenTheOnly twitter posts.
The way it was explain to me, Factory reset was not conducted. Owners that did the retrofit kept their settings to be copied by Tesla to the new MCU. When Tesla was completed with the install, there was no factory reset conducted on the old MCU. It was noted they did a destroy of unit.... and, we know how that went.

The way it was explain to me, Factory reset was not conducted. Owners that did the retrofit kept their settings to be copied by Tesla to the new MCU. When Tesla was completed with the install, there was no factory reset conducted on the old MCU. It was noted they did a destroy of unit.... and, we know how that went.

Someone asked @GreenTheOnly about using the factory reset. His reply was:

can be recovered. factory reset is just mkfs on /home partition
AND later
the data is still there but a bit harder to get. Not impossible by any stretch of imagination.