Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for all Florida Tesla owners using Tesla wall charger & FPL at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Florida Tesla owners,

I just read a post here at the TMC forum that a guy used the Tesla wall charger at his home and his bill jumped from about $50/month to $480!! Apparently he went over the 21Kw for 15 minutes or more and that put his home into the commercial billing rates, not residential.

Is this the norm for coming home every night and charging the Model 3 (or other models) ?

Thank you all

Is that consuming 21kw in 15 minutes? That would be 84kwhr. The theoretical max is 240V * 48A which is 11.5kw but that's in an hour. Thus, in the 15 minutes he can consume a max of 2.875kw. Based on his historical $50/mo, it's doubtful the rest of his house would consume that.

• Disagree
Reactions: mociaf9
Is that consuming 21kw in 15 minutes? That would be 84kwhr. The theoretical max is 240V * 48A which is 11.5kw but that's in an hour. Thus, in the 15 minutes he can consume a max of 2.875kw. Based on his historical $50/mo, it's doubtful the rest of his house would consume that.
Hi jmaddr, Not sure what this guy did to exceed the Kw maximum and get surcharged by FPL but its scary...... Here is his post:

That's not how things work. The kW, which is a unit of electrical power, is an instantaneous measurement. If you're charging at 11.5 kW for an hour, that means that you had 4 15 minute periods where your charging was constantly contributing 11.5 kW of demand. Time intervals don't impact that if your usage is constant over the entire period, you don't divide the demand up.

Hi Florida Tesla owners,

I just read a post here at the TMC forum that a guy used the Tesla wall charger at his home and his bill jumped from about $50/month to $480!! Apparently he went over the 21Kw for 15 minutes or more and that put his home into the commercial billing rates, not residential.

Is this the norm for coming home every night and charging the Model 3 (or other models) ?

Thank you all
is he/she using tremendous amounts of energy to produce plants?

owned and charged at home for over 5 years here in Naples with no significant bill impact (and I’m running 600a service)

Hi jmaddr, Not sure what this guy did to exceed the Kw maximum and get surcharged by FPL but its scary...... Here is his post:
From the posting that you quoted, he turned on 10 kW of heat while charging.

"I use a wall mounted Tesla charger which can pull 12 KW when the battery is well down on charge. During the previous month I turned on the electric heat while the car was on charge. It is a 10KW electric heater. Total 22 KW."

Larry