Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for an engineer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We still don’t know what the overall dimensions will be for the CT but I was thinking, could you build some type of safe, permanent ramp system for the trucks front tires that would allow the rear end to fit in a garage if it was close?

Basically you drive into your garage and towards where you would normally stop there would be a ramp. By driving up on to it, it will allow you to get more of the truck into the garage.

I’ve never heard of this and could be crazy. Was just thinking about it.

I don’t think that would achieve what you’re hoping for. Imagine a rectangle formed by the front of the car and the tailgate. The long side of the rectangle is the length of the car. When you lift the front wheels, you pivot the rectangle around the back wheels. Now the top rear corner of the rectangle extends out behind the bottom rear corner, and likewise in the front the bottom corner extnds beyond the top. You’ve effectively made the car longer.

I don’t think that would achieve what you’re hoping for. Imagine a rectangle formed by the front of the car and the tailgate. The long side of the rectangle is the length of the car. When you lift the front wheels, you pivot the rectangle around the back wheels. Now the top rear corner of the rectangle extends out behind the bottom rear corner, and likewise in the front the bottom corner extnds beyond the top. You’ve effectively made the car longer.

Depends on the angle of the lift.

Taken to the extreme (90 degrees) the car would be standing vertically and would certainly fit (lengthwise) in the garage. But at that point, height might be a problem. But somewhere in between, the idea works.

If you tilt a rectangle, it will be later longer and taller than when sitting flat

Once again, it depends on how much it's tilted. If the incline is sufficient, it will occupy less length, but more height. But probably more height than a standard garage allows. Do people not understand basic geometry?

Just take your cell phone, place it lengthwise on the desk. Start tilting it up. The edge length of my phone is 16cm, and the diagonal length (corner to corner) is 17cm . So I only need to tip it up sufficiently so that the space occupied by the diagonal length (corner to corner) is less than 16cm. Using my phone, it's about a 45 degree incline, but the required height doubled, from about 8cm (flat) to 16cm (inclined).

The Cybertruck is not a rectangle if the side view picture on Tesla’s website is exactly like the production model. Backing it up an incline (with the rear tires raised) will give you a more room. Simply measure the following on the picture and compare: headlights to tail lights is longer than headlights to rear bumper.

Reactions: SpaceCash
If we assume the vehicle length is 18.5' (1' longer than a Ford F-150...really just guessing, though) and we say you make a ramp of 25 degrees the car will take up 16.77' of linear space at ground level.

If we assume the rear of the truck from ground to the top of the bed walls is 4' then the top part of the truck will take up 18.46' of linear space at 25 degrees.

So, if you parked your truck at a 25 degree angle in the garage it would save 0.04'. If you parked it vertically, however, you'd save 14.5'...so there's that.

Reactions: coleAK and Fiddler
We still don’t know what the overall dimensions will be for the CT but I was thinking, could you build some type of safe, permanent ramp system for the trucks front tires that would allow the rear end to fit in a garage if it was close?

Basically you drive into your garage and towards where you would normally stop there would be a ramp. By driving up on to it, it will allow you to get more of the truck into the garage.

I’ve never heard of this and could be crazy. Was just thinking about it.
What you are envisioning was actually done (or was an urban myth, either way it does work).
Some place had to have a certain amount of cars parked in a given space, They accomplished it by making the parking area inclined. It was said a kid offered the solution.
MMM forgive me but I read about it very long ago...it could have been accomplished making mini-sized (car-sized) hills and putting a car on each side and overlapping them.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
Park it outside so that the solar panel can get some sun. The stainless steel will be fine with it too.

I know and I literally can park 8 cars on my outside driveway. I just really want the truck In the garage. I have a space for it. Just not the current length. However my master closet wall faces the garage and my wife has wanted a remodel. I was hoping the ramp idea would be cheaper!!!

Looking the side view, I would say that you will have better luck lifting the rear.
Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Profile-View-2.jpg

The maximum departure angle for the truck is 28 degrees. That's as steep as you can park it. In my example below (from yesterday) I used 25 degrees because I assumed you wouldn't want to scrape the bottom of the truck every day. Regardless, parking at that angle would only save you less than an inch of garage space.

If you did park at 25 degree, the front door would be ~3.5 ft above the garage floor. You'd need to have long legs or a ladder.

If we assume the vehicle length is 18.5' (1' longer than a Ford F-150...really just guessing, though) and we say you make a ramp of 25 degrees the car will take up 16.77' of linear space at ground level.

If we assume the rear of the truck from ground to the top of the bed walls is 4' then the top part of the truck will take up 18.46' of linear space at 25 degrees.

So, if you parked your truck at a 25 degree angle in the garage it would save 0.04'. If you parked it vertically, however, you'd save 14.5'...so there's that.

Reactions: coleAK
ANNNND!
Noone brought it up...
So AZCT42 I wonder if you are willing to try and get out of the vehicle once you have the front end raised that far off the ground?

Oh, but someone did! :)

On an unrelated note, does anyone know where I can find an airstair to fit in my extra tall garage so I can climb out of my vertically parked CyberTruck?