Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for California owners: license plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
41A7AF31-D4D0-406B-AE70-D0F3108BF45B.jpeg
7 weeks for us.

Spoke to the DMV yesterday evening and was told that Tesla used a 3rd party to order the plates and to give them a call, 2nd month now. I have plates issues as a registration notice & the title arrived yesterday but no physical plates, will call Carlsbad to see if they have them laying around.

Fred

Spoke to a guy at the Tesla Carlsbad and he send me a DMV form to submit to the DMV for lost plates. I’m giving it one more week to see if they arrived. If not I will have to go do their leg work.

Fred

Custom plates are a totally different process, not directly coupled with your car's registration. You swap those plates out with the serialized ones you originally get for the car.
I am on my 3rd custom plate so kinda know how it works. My question was about how long does it take in covid times to get one, as quoted pic had model y specific LP, which hints that it was ordered recently.,

I am on my 3rd custom plate so kinda know how it works. My question was about how long does it take in covid times to get one, as quoted pic had model y specific LP, which hints that it was ordered recently.,
They were running 8-12 weeks the last time we ordered one in early 2018. With COVID, it may take longer, but how much longer is just a WAG. But since we're guessing, I'd say 12-16 weeks is a reasonable worst-case estimate.

And if you can get the plates delivered to an Auto Club instead of a DMV office, you'll have a much more enjoyable time picking them up.

They were running 8-12 weeks the last time we ordered one in early 2018. With COVID, it may take longer, but how much longer is just a WAG. But since we're guessing, I'd say 12-16 weeks is a reasonable worst-case estimate.

And if you can get the plates delivered to an Auto Club instead of a DMV office, you'll have a much more enjoyable time picking them up.

Well, I am on 20th week now. I guess I'll try giving them a call.

Update:

Got my Plates today, 75 days from Delivery, now to the DMV tomorrow morning to transfer the Personalize plates over.

Fred

If you have the personalized plates already in hand (e.g. transfer) I know you can do the transfer without ever visiting the DMV.

I sent in the paperwork and the mailed me new stickers for my reused personalized plates (I had removed from another car and retained for future use).

Last edited: