Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Current Refreshed Model X Owners - Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a question for the current new Refreshed Model X owners and was wondering if I could get some input. I currently have a 2018 75D that has been running really strong the past few years. A friend of mine just purchased a new refreshed Model X, I noticed the new steering wheel, monitor and interior changes but from the exterior didn't really noticed a whole lot changes. I've been debating whether to sell my 75D and upgrading to the newer version. To my fellow members was it worth it to upgrade or should I stay put with my 75D? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I had a question for the current new Refreshed Model X owners and was wondering if I could get some input. I currently have a 2018 75D that has been running really strong the past few years. A friend of mine just purchased a new refreshed Model X, I noticed the new steering wheel, monitor and interior changes but from the exterior didn't really noticed a whole lot changes. I've been debating whether to sell my 75D and upgrading to the newer version. To my fellow members was it worth it to upgrade or should I stay put with my 75D? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Going from the 75D to a 2022 LR was a big upgrade for me.

First, the performance difference is stark. The 2022 accelerate especially strong from 40 or so. This makes getting onto the highway easy and something done carefully to avoid running into the back of cars.

The Interior is familiar, but almost everything has changed. New seats, center console, displays, steering wheel, etc. I now much prefer the landscape orientation of the screen, especially with the higher resolution and increased responsiveness.

The exterior is similar, but more aggressive. All of the chrome is gone, including the wheels. Also, the car has a more aggressive stance.

The headlights are also better, and I do not have the matrix headlights which I believe will ship in the future.

The only downside of ordering now is that the price for the LR has shot up so much. When I ordered it was about $96K. Now it is around $126K.

Reactions: croman and TJPDX
I came from a 17 90D and absolutely loved it.

The steering wheel/yoke is a non-issue for me. I haven't had one issue in the two weeks I have had my refresh.

I miss a few minor things, such as being able to adjust fan speed, seeing energy chart, button for glovebox. Really minor things. oh and free supercharging.

I used to think my 90D was fast, I mean I guess it was, but damn this thing is FAST, and I only have a LR.

Love the screen, full screen shows are nice. The car is well thought out.

I haven't used a supercharger yet, but I am looking forward to the faster speeds there too.

The wait sucked, but I had my 90D, so I wasn't too stressed about it. I traded that in, and got more than I paid two years ago. I like having a new warranty as well.

I would definitely do it again. Helped that I locked in pricing in early 21

Reactions: TJPDX
I did exactly that from 2018 75D and glad I did. Mine was also running strong but this refresh baby has so many refinements it’s really great and if you can afford it make the move! You’ll love it!

We upgraded from 2018 75D as well, and I can tell you, its night and day. The build quality and feel of the Refresh is incredible. Theres zero rattles and noises and squeaks. Maybe we got really lucky with ours, but man oh man is it good. Fit and finish is just chefs kiss. Love the big range upgrade, ours actually shows 350 miles at 100%, and coming from the 75D which never showed over 220 miles at 100%, and we rarely got more than 170-180 actual miles, we can now drive roundtrip to see family without ever needing to charge, where as before it was at least a charge stop each way.

The cooled seats are amazing, wireless charge pad super convenient, the new screen is gorgeous and its super fast and responsive. The rear screen is not so useful yet, since it cant pair headsets or have its own audio, but I expect this to get implemented over time. Yoke is a dont love it dont hate it kinda deal for me, but it works just fine. I actually really like the stalkless controls and the auto-shift does the job most of the time getting out of garage and parking stalls, but using the screen is just as fast. My only complaint is that its not as convenient to change the current song playing by pushing the scroll wheel towards the right. The old one with dedicated buttons for next song was better.

The doors and windows are quieter, the rear hatch is now covered in felt instead of that straight plastic. Black trim from factory is slick and the updated front bumper is really nice.

It may not look like much has changed from the outside, but trust me, this is basically a brand new car. This is truly the MX they should have built to start with.

I agree with TJPDX on the “next song”. My ONLY beef is I feel like they overrated a bit on eliminating literally every single button. Every. Single. One. The only thing that resembles a physical button are the window switches.

I also don’t love the wood…my old one had the Matte Obeche and I liked that a lot. I might try to wrap the wood with carbon fiber vinyl or something. It really is a sweet car though.

I also don’t love the wood…my old one had the Matte Obeche and I liked that a lot. I might try to wrap the wood with carbon fiber vinyl or something.
Agree about the wood... Let us know if you find a good wrap solution. I have carbon fiber interior in my 2016 MX (you used to be able to order that as an upgrade) and I wish I could order it for the refresh LR.

It definitely is quieter and feels more solid. The updated interior feels nice... But I don't think it's that much nicer. I've had mine for a couple hours and there's some annoyances.

I don't think you can change what displays on the sides of the instrument panel. Also can't change what the scroll wheels do. I really liked the trip computer up and the right wheel to control climate. What a weird thing to remove.

The driver's door has to be closed a lot harder.

I preferred the light wood and creme headliner on my last one.

The "horn as a button" thing is stupid.

It makes all kinds of spaceship sounds... Instead of being silent at low speeds.

I am no longer in the FSD beta. I've been in it for over a year and used it all the time. Obviously I can probably get back it.... But I shouldn't have to mess with it.

What made me make the jump was warrenty and screen orientation. I figure sooner than later they are going to stop major updates on the vertical screens. There just isn't enough of them, when compared to all 3s, all Ys and newer Ss and Xs. It was a bummer though because they just replaced the battery in my X75 with a 90kwh one.

Reactions: croman
It definitely is quieter and feels more solid. The updated interior feels nice... But I don't think it's that much nicer. I've had mine for a couple hours and there's some annoyances.

I don't think you can change what displays on the sides of the instrument panel. Also can't change what the scroll wheels do. I really liked the trip computer up and the right wheel to control climate. What a weird thing to remove.

The driver's door has to be closed a lot harder.

I preferred the light wood and creme headliner on my last one.

The "horn as a button" thing is stupid.

It makes all kinds of spaceship sounds... Instead of being silent at low speeds.

I am no longer in the FSD beta. I've been in it for over a year and used it all the time. Obviously I can probably get back it.... But I shouldn't have to mess with it.

What made me make the jump was warrenty and screen orientation. I figure sooner than later they are going to stop major updates on the vertical screens. There just isn't enough of them, when compared to all 3s, all Ys and newer Ss and Xs. It was a bummer though because they just replaced the battery in my X75 with a 90kwh one.
I’m with you on the controls and the instrument cluster. I really liked the little “menu” button, and I also liked displaying the two widgets on either side of the instrument cluster. I too agree the horn as a button is stupid - can’t see the benefit in that.

As far as making the spaceship sounds, I’m pretty sure they passed a federal law that EVs have to make a certain amount of noise at low speeds for safety purposes.

I got back in 2016 S yesterday as the X is now in getting PPF, tint and ceramic coating, and I’m going to lie…the S feels like a nicer car. I don’t know if it’s the leather steering wheel, the alcantara dashboard…I don’t know what it is, but it feels like higher quality to me. I’m really going to miss that S…and I’ll get another one in a few years when kids start leaving the house.

Reactions: croman and TJPDX
Totally worth it in my opinion if you can swing it financially. Whenever I see a pre-refresh interior it looks really dated now..... Having access via the app is a major plus for me. I threw my keyfobs in a drawer the day I brought the car home and have not taken them out. The difference in screen is amazing, the car just feels more premium and worth its price tag.... 250KW charging speeds is clutch when on long road trips.... I really love this car and plan on keeping it until there is a drastic exterior refresh.

I will say driving the new one is a night and day difference. I miss the beta FSD but I haven't hit the request button yet because I don't want them nanny judging my driving yet. The newer one is so much fun to drive and the yoke may be a part of it but it is so much more responsive.