Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for facelift S60-S60D owners charging to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kills the "always plug in" Tesla recomendation. Sure I could set the charge to less than 80% but why bother plug in if I don't need the charge?
I am convinced the 60 is top limited, Ingeneer gave me some doubts but feel comfortable charging to 100% every day.
Now another issue is with a lease. Tesla may not be happy with a returned lease that always charged to 100%. They could blame some degradation on the leasee.
There is battery degradation both at the low and the high ends. THis is why you want to charge every day.

I'm no chemist (but I stayed at a holiday in express last night), but it would seem to me that the limit placed on a 60 which is a true 75 almost certainly is at the "top end", meaning charging to 100% is actually charging your battery to 80% and therefore would cause no degradation. The only other way to limit the charge would be to disable 20% of the battery cells in the 75 to make it a 60, which is pretty harmful for those cells, and in which case the 100% charge would mean you are charging 80% of the battery to 100% charge.

Nope, they wouldn't have to leave any cells uncharged. They can limit the bottom just like they can limit the top. Or they could limit both the bottom and the top. So 0-100% on a 75 limited to 60 could be charge rates of:

• 0-80%
  • 20-100%
  • 10-90%
Or anything other range that makes up 80%.