Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I recently got an EcoHitch installed on my 2016 Model S. For those of you who have had this or a similar hitch installed on your Model S, how do you protect the underside of your vehicle? The L shaped hitch protrudes from the bottom of the car for which the installer had to cut out a little piece on the plastic underside of the vehicle. Now I understand that for 2015 and prior models, TorkLift makes an "undercover" that can be used to cover the hole once you remove the hitch receiver. But there is no such product for 2016 and beyond.

Can you please provide suggestions or some perspective on how you keep that underside protected if your car does not have an "undercover" available? Secondly, if I left the hitch receiver always on is that going to be a problem in terms of dust, muck or rust getting into the car from that little opening? Any precautions I need to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance.

We had the first Ecohitch put on our car five years ago. They didn't offer a cover at the time (they used our car to design the hitch).

A little dirt and water gets in there, but it just kind of sits on the cover. Those underside covers are just for aerodynamics; they are not weatherproof. Tesla techs have never noted any problem with it. Back in 2012 they were pleased to see somebody offering a product like that.

Reactions: Tribaltech
I have a 2015 Model S with an Ecohitch installed. I do have the Undercover for mine, but I generally keep the hitch receiver on during biking season and the Undercover off; so there is an opening. I just haven't worried about the gap to date. In the winter, I will not be using the receiver, so I'll put the Undercover on then.

Since I don't have a 2016 model, I'm not exactly sure what the diffuser looks like on yours, but if it's a relatively flat surface around the oval hole that was cut into it to make room for the Ecohitch receiver, then I think that a person could make their own version of the Undercover with a sheet of stiff but pliable plastic if they were so inclined. Here's my terrible Paintbrush drawing of the idea, which incidentally looks like the bat symbol!

Explanation: Top image is of the bat-cover uninstalled. It would be perhaps an inch larger than the hole in your diffuser. The slits in the bat-cover allow you to push the "head" and "tail" of the bat-cover into the hole of your diffuser. The "wings" stay out, thus holding the cover in place. The small hole in the cover would allow you to pull it off when desired. The bottom image shows how it would look installed, with the red line representing the actual size of the hole in your diffuser.

This is not an advice, finding the right material would be the key it seems. Have fun.
cover.png

I also have the EcoHitch. It came with a cover that has a magnet that attached to the down-facing hitch. I don't use it. The hole on the bottom of the bumper is open, and one can see the downward facing hitch part. It doesn't bother me enough to worry about it. It is designed to be in the open, and water doesn't seem to affect it at all. That's after 1 1/2 years. Most people never see the hitch until I kick it with my foot, saying, "It goes here."

Reactions: Tribaltech
Hi everyone,

I recently got an EcoHitch installed on my 2016 Model S. For those of you who have had this or a similar hitch installed on your Model S, how do you protect the underside of your vehicle? The L shaped hitch protrudes from the bottom of the car for which the installer had to cut out a little piece on the plastic underside of the vehicle. Now I understand that for 2015 and prior models, TorkLift makes an "undercover" that can be used to cover the hole once you remove the hitch receiver. But there is no such product for 2016 and beyond.

Can you please provide suggestions or some perspective on how you keep that underside protected if your car does not have an "undercover" available? Secondly, if I left the hitch receiver always on is that going to be a problem in terms of dust, muck or rust getting into the car from that little opening? Any precautions I need to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance.
Hi
Can u post some pictures pl
How much did you pay to get it installed
I am planning on getting one for my 2016 S
(Refresh model)

I am Planning on using the 2 bike rack made by 1 up USA
Has anyone used it on Model S
It's a heavy bike rack and am worried it might damage the car

Thanks in advance

Hi
It's a heavy bike rack and am worried it might damage the car....

For a tray mount style rack, it's actually pretty light. With both bike attachments it's ~41lbs. A Thule T2 is ~56lb. Kuat NV is 49lbs. I guess you could get the style of rack that hangs the bike by the frame, which would be lighter.

I own both the 1UP and the Thule T2 and specifically got the 1UP for the Tesla because it's so much lighter and can fit in the rear trunk well when disassembled; which is awesome IMO.

I believe the tongue weight on the Ecohitch is 200lbs.

Hi
(Refresh model)

Thanks in advance

I've had this hitch with a 1up bike rack since February when I got my 2017 S. I haul around a 45+ lbs eMTB and a 30 lbs regular mountain bike with it almost every weekend. I've taken it on long road trips (i.e. SF to LA). Never had a problem with it. It's a great setup.

I don't do anything to cover up the hole since I never take the hitch out and everything still looks fine to me.

I paid about $300 to have someone install it. I wouldn't try to do it yourself. It's a lot of work to take apart the entire rear end of the car.

I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.

We had the first Ecohitch put on our car five years ago. They didn't offer a cover at the time (they used our car to design the hitch).

A little dirt and water gets in there, but it just kind of sits on the cover. Those underside covers are just for aerodynamics; they are not weatherproof. Tesla techs have never noted any problem with it. Back in 2012 they were pleased to see somebody offering a product like that.
Thank you! Thats nice to know. I LOVE this EcoHitch it is built like a tank. I use the Kuat NV 2.0 and I have an ear to ear smile with how well the whole arrangement works.

Hi
(Refresh model)

Thanks in advance
Hi There, I paid around $165 to get it installed. I got a quote from a few different places including a Ferrari dealership that shows up as a Tesla certified bodyshop. Those people gave me a $400 quote. So I'd suggest please shop around and get a sense of how professional and detail oriented the shop is that you will be taking your car too. I went onto the EcoHitch website to locate a certified installer closest to me. I called them up and inquired if they had installed this on a Tesla and they said they'd done it on a couple a few months ago. Plus they were very nice and answered all of my questions so I knew this was the place I wanted to take my Tesla to. Moreover they ended up also being the cheapest at $165. They did a phenomenal job and were very thorough. Knock on wood, super happy with everything.

The EcoHitch is built like a tank and I am very happy with it. I use it to put a Kuat NV 2.0 platform bike rack that weighs 55lbs. On that I mount my carbon bike and my wife's MTB. The thing operates like a beast and I am super happy with this arrangement. I have not had any problems with it and when the rack goes on the EcoHitch the combo is rock solid. With the EcoHitch I would highly recommend the Kuat NV 2.0 rack.

I hope this helps.

I've had this hitch with a 1up bike rack since February when I got my 2017 S. I haul around a 45+ lbs eMTB and a 30 lbs regular mountain bike with it almost every weekend. I've taken it on long road trips (i.e. SF to LA). Never had a problem with it. It's a great setup.

I don't do anything to cover up the hole since I never take the hitch out and everything still looks fine to me.

I paid about $300 to have someone install it. I wouldn't try to do it yourself. It's a lot of work to take apart the entire rear end of the car.

I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.

Yeah, great suggestion, I wouldn't EVER try to do this myself. Take this to a good body shop or go to the EcoHitch website and find a certified installer. The ones that showed up around where I live did a phenomenal job.

And yeah as for my original question, after having had the hitch for sometime now I don't foresee ever removing the hitch receiver ever. I might just put duct tape and plastic everywhere around it just to appease my OCD tendencies.