Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seen this? Makes me worry about the eco hitch.
Tesla Model S hitch by Torklift (3 year update): Eaten alive
UPDATE: After this review was posted, Torklift investigated the problems described and is changing their product as a result.
You can find their full response in the comments below.
XZKKQXbvbPoqTuJt5xL-hRZzFkYktfAVYDWEC4qGykyJas6LEvQ4sYqdW0I-gu_S2n4j3_Xwn9xJwgsPI-BkHRDlJp_EQs3x8RPEVi4YpD7MSry2wGYhWaOm-q-M90s0k3grEu5L

1-IMG_3305-768x1024.jpg
1-IMG_5258.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else seen this? Makes me worry about the eco hitch.
Tesla Model S hitch by Torklift (3 year update): Eaten alive

Holy heck! That is horrifying at first when I read the article. But reading the comment section and especially EcoHitch's response I feel that this could be a unique situation. Especially considering how they pointed that galvanic corrosion occurred in other older Teslas where no hitch was installed. Either way I can't thank you enough for bringing this to my/our attention. First thing after the holidays I am taking my Tesla into the shop and getting that kit installed and also getting everything checkout out thoroughly. Jeesh!

I sent a pre-Christmas email to Torklift this AM about getting on the list for two isolation kits for our cars. At 1.5 and .5 years since their installation, I'm hopeful we won't have any real issues going on yet, but am doing the retrofit when possible.

Yup! I just sent out my email too asking for the kit. Have they responded to you yet? Curious to hear what they wrote and if they used the same understanding and supportive tone as they did with the author of the article. I wonder if their response time and attention to the matter is as good regardless of clout or audience?

Yup! I just sent out my email too asking for the kit. Have they responded to you yet? Curious to hear what they wrote and if they used the same understanding and supportive tone as they did with the author of the article. I wonder if their response time and attention to the matter is as good regardless of clout or audience?
They haven't yet, but I'll plan on updating this thread when I hear back. I would be surprised if they aren't highly supportive/responsive at this point. I believe they probably feel like they are already in customer service / PR recovery mode after fumbling their first attempt.

They haven't yet, but I'll plan on updating this thread when I hear back. I would be surprised if they aren't highly supportive/responsive at this point. I believe they probably feel like they are already in customer service / PR recovery mode after fumbling their first attempt.

I wrote to them and received a quick response from their customer service letting me know that after the 1st they will get in touch with me to ship me my kit ASAP. I am trying to obtain details on what all the kit will contain. After seeing the photos from that article I almost feel scared seeing how my car and hitch would look. Oh well... at least they're being responsive and acting on this issue

Do any of you have the reinforced bumper for the child seats in the back? are the studs long enough for both the trailer hitch and the bumper plate? any pictures?
I've installed an ecohitch on a 2013 S without rear facing seats, and a 2015 with rear facing seats. I asked the forum the same question (if there would be an issue with the 2015 w/rear facing seats), and got a response that there wouldn't be. And there wasn't. I paid for the installs to be done, so have no pictures.

Reactions: CUBldr97
What is the energy consumption with a mountain bike on the hitch rack vs. roof mounted?

I've never used a roof rack (at 5' 0", that would be challenging!), but I can tell you that with two mountain bikes on a hitch-mounted Kuat NV rack, I have to budget 150 "range miles" for each 100 actual mile traveled. (Flat ground, warm weather, 72-74 mph).

That works out to a bit over 400 kWh/mi on an S85D.

No big deal in local/regional use. However, it's a painful enough hit that we absorb the inconvenience of removing front wheels and placing bikes inside for long road trips.

I've had this hitch with a 1up bike rack since February when I got my 2017 S. I haul around a 45+ lbs eMTB and a 30 lbs regular mountain bike with it almost every weekend. I've taken it on long road trips (i.e. SF to LA). Never had a problem with it. It's a great setup.

I don't do anything to cover up the hole since I never take the hitch out and everything still looks fine to me.

I paid about $300 to have someone install it. I wouldn't try to do it yourself. It's a lot of work to take apart the entire rear end of the car.

I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.

I am thinking of adding a hitch and the 1-upUSA SINGLE to my 2015 Model S which I would ideally like to leave on the car full time (since the single folds up and out of the way so nicely). My concern is I don't know how badly that's going to affect my proximity sensors on a daily basis if the rack is always on and in the folded position. Is it possible you'd have some insite into this? Thanks in advance for your help. Jon

My concern is I don't know how badly that's going to affect my proximity sensors on a daily basis if the rack is always on and in the folded position. Is it possible you'd have some insite into this?
I recently asked a similar question in the X forum after we used our bike rack on our X for the first time. When the rack was folded up the car was fine except when in reverse, where the car continually chimed because of the rear sensors. The end result is we've left the hitch attached to the car, but decided to take the rack off when not using it.

I am thinking of adding a hitch and the 1-upUSA SINGLE to my 2015 Model S which I would ideally like to leave on the car full time (since the single folds up and out of the way so nicely). My concern is I don't know how badly that's going to affect my proximity sensors on a daily basis if the rack is always on and in the folded position. Is it possible you'd have some insite into this? Thanks in advance for your help. Jon

The rear proximity sensors stay lit up the entire time the racket is attached. Not a big deal since I disable the sound on my proximity warning system.

One thing I noticed is that when you have it folded up, you get this "parking assist is unavailable" warning every you come to a stop. The warning is not triggered if the rack is down even with a bike on it.

It also does not affect autopilot in any way I can tell. The car will auto change lane and weave through traffic with NOA just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1
What kind of weight have you guys put on the hitch. I’ve had mine for a few month and have been using a 4 bike rack with 2 adult mountain bikes and 2 kids mountain bikes. While unloading today, it looks like the hitch isnt sitting level, and it’s got me concerned about using it. Could it be bending down or is this normal? It may have always been like this but I’m not sure. Looking for opinions...

Attachments

• 66E52170-E3A8-40D4-B721-69B908B2977D.jpeg
    66E52170-E3A8-40D4-B721-69B908B2977D.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 93
What kind of weight have you guys put on the hitch. I’ve had mine for a few month and have been using a 4 bike rack with 2 adult mountain bikes and 2 kids mountain bikes. While unloading today, it looks like the hitch isnt sitting level, and it’s got me concerned about using it. Could it be bending down or is this normal? It may have always been like this but I’m not sure. Looking for opinions...

I would recommend re-torquing the mounting bolts... and consider adding lock washers and Loctite to the treads. :cool: