Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for M3 Owners Odds and Ends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

I'm a reservation holder and currently waiting on the AWD version.
I wanted to ask current owners or people with more knowledge of the car than me a few quick questions:

1) Have you had any problems so far on road trips with sun glare on the central screen during your road trips? Is/can this problem be solved with either window tinting?

2) We have been shown that along the bottom of the car there is a vent that closes and opens, it was my understanding that this helps control airflow to cool the batteries. I can see rocks and road debris kicking up into this area. Is there a way to empty it or vent it? Does it open up anywhere else on the car?

Thanks and feel free to ask sideways questions that I may not have thought of!

I don't have my 3 yet, so I can't say how much these will help, but I bought a couple matte screen protectors from Abstract Ocean for $20.99 shipped. (I think a single one was $5 less.)

Generally speaking, a matte screen protector is the first thing I pick up for any phone or tablet I buy, so having one for my 3 made sense to me. I prefer matte screens for anti-glare reasons.

Thanks Dave,

Yea I've seen a few screen protectors start popping up on Amazon. I think they will get better when the car is out longer. One I was looking at the complaint from a buyer was that the protector did not actually fit the dimensions of the screen. I guess we will wait and see.

Screen glare is rarely an issue and I normally gripe about that a lot. I've had one angle where it was super annoying for a few minutes, I will admit, but haven't come across it since. Seems much better than Model S in that regard, because I used to get morning sun through the rear window of the S hitting the screen and blinding me, to the extent that I kept a towel for draping over the screen for a few minutes each morning during the winter. Admittedly this was in the summer so it may yet come to pass with the 3, but I think the fact that the 3's screen isn't angled slightly towards the driver will save me.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Glare issues happen on the screen when the sun is low in the sky and coming through the rear side windows. It can be very bright and distracting.

I tried a matte screen protector from abstract ocean, but that just made it harder to read. (So no blinding glare, but can't read screen either). So I am back to stock for now.

Depending on the direction and time of your commute, it may or may not be an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave B