Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Model S owners of 1+ years (Bought in March 2014 or earlier)

How do you feel about your future car purchase?

• Switched/Switching soon to an ICE car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switched/Switching soon to a non-Tesla EV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it so much, I bought the company (or a portion thereof).
I like it so much, I have a reservation for a Signature Model X as well.
I used to think "the experience just can't be like that"... wondered what I was getting myself into. Bonnie (and others) reassured me. The rest is history.

I said "always a Tesla" based upon what is currently available. But that's based upon a bunch of variables... 1) That other major manufacturers don't/won't start producing high quality, cost effective EVs, 2)That you're referring specifically to my personal vehicle (may go with a hybrid for the kids), 3) That Tesla doesn't do something stupid to drive me away (as did Toyota by refusing to push their alternative energy options when they had cornered that market with the Prius).

Wondering how you feel about your Model S ownership experience after driving it for a year or more. This will help me plan for my next car.

Next purchase might not fit any of those categories. Sometimes people buy cars to supplement, not replace, existing fleet. E.g., need truck for hauling stuff, need van for hauling soccer team, spouse or teenage son/daughter needs car, found a Bugatti in a barn, etc.

Good points efusco and Kermit. So to clarify:

1) Just asking about your primary car. The one you would want to drive daily. I am wondering if someone is considering switching to say Ghibli or Panamera or S class when their lease is up or just bored of the car or having quality/satisfaction issues.
2) Also based on the current market landscape. Obviously things can change in the future. Porsche or BMW or even Apple could make a kick ass car next year. I knew "Always a Tesla" is not the best option no wonder how much you like the company today. But may be someone does feel like that after a year of great service, so why not? Deciding between the last two options could subtly hint towards to how strongly they feel.

Thanks for voting btw!

I answered "Always buy a Tesla" because a) Elon and b) right now it's the only practical electric car. In ten years the answer might be different--of course, I might not be here in ten years.

I think I will likely always have a Tesla for my primary vehicle until Chevrolet comes out with a electric pickup. That might change my mind. My next car (an addition to the Tesla) will likely be another Dodge Viper or Ferrari 360. Got to have a sports car...

I will always drive electric.
The only reason I would buy something other than a Tesla is for efficiency (which is why we have a Leaf right now).
Once the Model 3 comes out I don't ever see buying anything other than a Tesla.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd consider an ICE sports car at some point in the future. They're better for track days, and unlike many I enjoy the growl and rumble of a nicely-tuned engine.

That said, it'd take some serious convincing to buy an ICE for a daily driver again as long as there are attractive EV options. I love Tesla, but would consider another manufacturer's EV if it better met my needs. Mercedes' new B-Class looks like a nice (and surprisingly affordable) option for our second vehicle given how far off the Model III is, for example.

I might consider a race car that isn't EV just because of price but would much rather have a demolished S turned race car. I can get a nice Lola w/ spares for almost another whole car for $20k
but I really like racing my S.

Charging infrastructure of Tesla SC's kind of make other brands obsolete before they even begin to make 'real' EV cars.
I guess there are dealerships that could ...ya, not gonna happen

Wondering how you feel about your Model S ownership experience after driving it for a year or more. This will help me plan for my next car.

I still look forward to driving my Model S every day even after two years and 48,000 miles. My wife is also completely enamored with driving electric, although not so much with the Model S seats, interior storage compartments, and having to shoehorn it into San Francisco parking space so she swapped her Acura TL for a leased BMW i3 six months ago.

There is absolutely no way either of us would ever switch back to conventional car willingly. And the plan is to get a Model 3 when the lease is up on the i3. But we'll keep an open mind when the time comes. That's how we ended up with the i3 despite my initial skepticism.

FLDarren, I'm a 4 year old Volt owner (the car, not me) and MS will be my next car this fall when I give the Volt to my son. Once you drive EV, there just isn't any going back. Why would anyone?

And the fact that a little start-up like Tesla is changing the world with these cars and their momentum is absolutely astounding - and exciting as hell to watch.

Over 2 years with my Model S now and I still love it. Can't imagine driving another car (except a smaller Tesla). The driving experience of electric is just better, and the Tesla is a top notch example. Plus it matches the electric drive with a wonderful UI (the speedometer cluster is by far the best I've ever seen -- excellent design, with so much information, clearly displayed), stunning minimalist interior and exterior, high performance, and tons of storage. Still no better car out there. And then there are the Superchargers, and wonderful service on top of that.

For normal driving, future auto purchases will be an EV. However, I do "real" off-road driving, and there is no EV available for that kind of driving. The Model X will certainly not meet that need; it is a CUV. Currently, I am keeping a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and a 2008 Toyota FJ alive for those purposes. I guess that there will be a day that one of those need replacing before a "real" off-road EV is available.

When I bought my Tesla April 15 2014, it was my first EV.
Now, I'll never buy an ICE again unless I need a truck. I'll always buy from Tesla if they have the model car I require.

It would be interesting in a year or 2 to poll people that have has their Tesla cars for more than 5yrs and see what the results are.