Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Owners: Any Front License Plate Failures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those solutions that put the plate lower down where it is in front of the lower grill, and not right on the "dog nose," will exist only for our older Model S cars, but will go away for new cars. The newest cars coming off the production line have a Driver Assistance camera in the front lower grill that it would be inadvisable to block

Actually as has been mentioned in the thread about the new sensors, you can just put the plate off center.

IMO we need a glass/clear plastic front to the dog nose, and a way to embed the licence plate inside it, behind the clear panel. That way it's right there on the front, but also maintains the aerodynamics of the car.

Slapping a vertical flat plate on the front of Franz von Holzhausen's design kinda ruins the Cd if you ask me.

I don't know about other locations but here in Washington covering the plate in any way is illegal since it messes up the reflective properties of the plate. Even the clear plastic license plate covers are technically illegal. Though I've had a tinted license plate cover on my front and back plates on my truck for 10 years without any issue.

OR - a way to "press" the license plate into a curved front, so that when it is attached to the front of the dog nose it assumes the exact rounded shape necessary to preserve the Cd.

You mean like this car:
12th Man Drive - Car and Commercial Window Tinting | Accutint of Bellevue - Car and Commercial Window Tinting | Accutint of Bellevue

I believe that's actually just a vinyl graphic of the plate. I suspect it's not legal since it wouldn't have the reflectiveness off the actual plate.