TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Question for P100D and P90Downers

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Hitman007, Apr 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

My neighbor just got a P100D and he was talking about some procedure of warming the batteries up before you are allowed to use Ludicrous mode. Can someone explain? Is the P90D the same procedure?

2. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

Per my experience I can always turn on Ludicrous even when the battery is cold. Of course at such times the power output is limited. Maybe he was talking about max battery?

• Like x 1
  3. cizUK

cizUK Member

Probably Ludicrous+
    It requires optimum battery conditions
    Is this what you were thinking of?

4. xmetal

xmetal Member

My friend has a P100D+ and yes, to get "max power" for the ludicrous launch mode you need to warm the batteries. The time needed seems to vary, but he did mention waiting 20-30 minutes before (I assume this was when the car was first turned on after sitting all night). I think this only applies to the P100DL+ special mode. Here is a page I found describing everything:

This is how you engage Tesla's new Ludicrous Plus mode

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

On my P90D you can go into Ludicrous mode anytime but if you want to do a 'launch' then you have to enable the max battery temp. You don't have to let the battery heat up to optimum level to do the launch tho.

6. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

I have a P100D and I'm certain it's the same for the P90D.

In order to get the absolute fastest acceleration time you need to allow battery to get to maximum operating temperature. This is true for Ludicrous and Ludicrous + mode. You can still accelerate at a ridiculous rate in either mode but to get the best time you need to get the battery at max operating temperature.

This usually takes 30-40mins when battery is at a resting temperature. It is kind of annoying but luckily it's still pretty ridiculous fast in Ludicrous mode regardless of battery temperature.

7. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Any performance model will have max battery power below the acceleration option under the driving sub-menu. This heats the battery to an optimal temperature for maximum power output and performance. Non-P models don't have this option.