Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for P100D and P90Downers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend has a P100D+ and yes, to get "max power" for the ludicrous launch mode you need to warm the batteries. The time needed seems to vary, but he did mention waiting 20-30 minutes before (I assume this was when the car was first turned on after sitting all night). I think this only applies to the P100DL+ special mode. Here is a page I found describing everything:

This is how you engage Tesla's new Ludicrous Plus mode

My neighbor just got a P100D and he was talking about some procedure of warming the batteries up before you are allowed to use Ludicrous mode. Can someone explain? Is the P90D the same procedure?
On my P90D you can go into Ludicrous mode anytime but if you want to do a 'launch' then you have to enable the max battery temp. You don't have to let the battery heat up to optimum level to do the launch tho.

I have a P100D and I'm certain it's the same for the P90D.

In order to get the absolute fastest acceleration time you need to allow battery to get to maximum operating temperature. This is true for Ludicrous and Ludicrous + mode. You can still accelerate at a ridiculous rate in either mode but to get the best time you need to get the battery at max operating temperature.

This usually takes 30-40mins when battery is at a resting temperature. It is kind of annoying but luckily it's still pretty ridiculous fast in Ludicrous mode regardless of battery temperature.

My neighbor just got a P100D and he was talking about some procedure of warming the batteries up before you are allowed to use Ludicrous mode. Can someone explain? Is the P90D the same procedure?
This is not true. You can use chill mode.. which is still peppy driving. Sport mode.. which is... niiiice. Then you drop it into Ludicrous on the touch screen and hit the gas and go.. wow that is a bit faster and then woooooooooooo fukfukfuk

if you go into ludicrous+ mode.. its even faster.. but it will precondition the batteries for a couple of minutes

There is literally no reason to ever hit the ludicrous mode and be upset that you had to wait 5 minutes. When are you going to need to do that? If you are going to the track. 5 minutes is no problem. if you were going over to pick up your buddy to show him your big D*ck car.. then you push the button on the way.

just to reiterate. you hit that ludicrous button.. there is no reason a car on the streets needs to go that fast. but it does.. and you dont have to wait.