Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for people who have ceramic tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I just have a questions for people who have ceramic tint on their windows. What is the max temperature inside the car that you have ever seen while the car is parked in the sun without A/C on or windows open. I'm trying to see how much of a different in temperature it is with and without ceramic tint. Any information greatly appriciated.

Hey all,

I just have a questions for people who have ceramic tint on their windows. What is the max temperature inside the car that you have ever seen while the car is parked in the sun without A/C on or windows open. I'm trying to see how much of a different in temperature it is with and without ceramic tint. Any information greatly appriciated.
Why does it matter? You won't be in the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: JP0430
Unfortunately, no amount of ceramic, or any other material of tint is going to limit the max temp while you are gone from a parked car for hours. Fear not! Teslas have a feature to cool down with or without AC. I highly suggest you use that feature.

The good news is that with the tint, it can slow the rate down, and help with the hot left arm while you’re driving.

My ceramic tint + a covercraft window shade make a huge difference in heat in the car here in Phoenix. The ceramic (Xpel XR prime) is fantastic. The heat now comes in through the windshield and the shade stops that well. Covercraft window shades are custom to each vehicle, affordable, and work very well.

Reactions: zikronix
Unfortunately, no amount of ceramic, or any other material of tint is going to limit the max temp while you are gone from a parked car for hours. Fear not! Teslas have a feature to cool down with or without AC. I highly suggest you use that feature.

The good news is that with the tint, it can slow the rate down, and help with the hot left arm while you’re dri
I think I was just wondering how much is it reduced. People were saying that XPEL heat reduction is significant and Im trying to understand is it based on driving and not feeling heat coming thru the glass with AC on or just car sitting at the parking lot and the heat inside the cabin goes from ~150F to like ~120F (just an example) thats more or less of what I was asking.

It is reduced a significant amount. I have a buddy with a model 3 with 3M crystalline, and I have 3M Ceramic IR. The differences between these two tints are very slim, but both (and other brand ceramic tints) are all much better than nothing at all, which the front side windows and windshield has.

one thing to note. With no tint, the sun heats up everything inside the car, especially where the sunlight hits. With the windows tint, the inside doesn’t get hot, but the window itself does! Guess that’s a good thing, as better the window than the interior and me. If you get your windows tinted, feel the windows on a hot day.

Have air 90 on windshield and moonroof. I sill feel hea emitting on my head but not as much

since it only 2:day old I’m hoping it will mitigate low angle fog. Depending on the light the screen can look foggy blue. Not big deal but it can be irritating. I think as the time goes buy it will get better. Had the cabin with pout it, the temp were at:132. Sell tomorrow.
why driving I still fell warm sport.

Last edited:
I dont have a temperature to give you but I can tell you that I've had both my tesla's ceramic tinted and anytime I got a loaner, even if I drove it for a very short while, I felt like I was cooking in that thing! It is a huge difference in just feeling alone. And it wasn't in my head. I didn't even think about it when I would switch vehicles and it was very noticeable.

I live in Florida so tint is a no brainer anyway but I won't have a vehicle without tint anymore and with ceramic.

I got ceramic tint a week ago and haven't noticed a huge difference yet. Got llumar ctx done. I am worried they scammed me. They told me I got 35/20 and air 80. However after looking they only make the ctx in 15%, not 20. When I asked they said "don't worry you will get the 20." So got a btu meter to test, I see numbers go from ~200 to ~30, but my wife's factory tint does very similar. They gave me some lot numbers, but do not know how useful that would be. Anyone know how to confirm what I got?

I'll give you numbers on my Model S from last August when outside air temps on a clear day was 100° F.

Note that the Model S had no window or roof tint from the factory like we now have on the Model Y. It was clear as the windshield.

The typical 4PM heat was up to 136° to 145° F. without the Cabin Overheat turned on. With it turned on I could see temps at 116°-118° F.

So I applied the 99% IR film with 20% transmissive on the roof and the hatch glass. 75% transmissive on the side windows front and back and 85% transmissive on the windshield. (Note the windshield seems to add a bit of blue color shift but I got used to it)

After the tinting all the way around my interior temps were ranging 102° to 106° F. That's with Cabin Overheat turned on. So, my conclusion is that the tint was worth it for the heat of the summer months here in Florida. The Cabin Overheat was able to keep up in maintaining the interior temps as claimed.

The Model Y has tint now on the roof and hatch glass as well as the rear door glass sides as standard. I just took delivery of my Model Y so I don't have data yet. But at minimum I plan to have tint added to my front windows like I did with Model S. It also has the white interior so that will also reduce the solar heat effect.

Does everyone recommend ceramic vs the regular tint? What is the best Percentage for the model 3 5 windows? I heard 20%.
You will for sure get better performance from a ceramic tint vs non-ceramic. VLT is entirely personal preference. No one can recommend how dark your windows should be. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself by weighing performance with how much light will pass through the film.

While the above statement is true for most tint products, one comes to mind that doesn't fit into that broad generalization. 3M Crystalline (3M's most expensive and highest line) is not ceramic. There's absolutely no statement in any 3M brochure or sales document stating it is. 3M's ceramic product is one tier lower, called Ceramic IR. 3M's Crystalline is a great product even though its not ceramic. The tint shade is brown (rather than blue) and sometimes turns a bit golden in the right amount of sunlight.

While the above statement is true for most tint products, one comes to mind that doesn't fit into that broad generalization. 3M Crystalline (3M's most expensive and highest line) is not ceramic. There's absolutely no statement in any 3M brochure or sales document stating it is. 3M's ceramic product is one tier lower, called Ceramic IR. 3M's Crystalline is a great product even though its not ceramic. The tint shade is brown (rather than blue) and sometimes turns a bit golden in the right amount of sunlight.
Thank you!

That's fair and a good call out. Photosync Spectra also is not a ceramic film by definition and still outperforms every film on the market last I checked. I've had it on two vehicles and it's a fantastic film. The best advice I would give is to compare and contrast the technical specifications. Also, make certain the manufacturers are comparing apples to apples.