TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Question for S/X owners

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 03DSG, Aug 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 03DSG

03DSG Member

#1 03DSG, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    On my Ford Escape I plug my iPhone into a USB in the center console to charge and play my songs on the car radio. Do you think the phone dock will allow me to do the same?
    I should also ask how you play your phone music?

2. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

If you have an iPhone you really should be using Bluetooth. It's very convienvent. Don't even have to take your phone out of your pocket most of the time.

3. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Thanks. How's the battery drain?

4. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

On the phone? Negligible, as compared to playing audio any other way. But plug it in and charge it while you drive.

5. 03DSG

03DSG Member

The way I play it now is plug in to USB and it charges and plays at the same time.

6. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

I have read that Tesla does allow any access to any of the car's control systems (even the sound system) through a physical port (i.e. USB) to minimize the risk of hacking the system. Use the Bluetooth and control your playlists on the phone. But Tesla's streaming music offerings are so comprehensive, I find I rarely use my phone to play music.

7. 03DSG

03DSG Member

OK cool, thanks. Appreciate all the input.

8. tga

tga Supporting Member

When you plug your phone into the S or X, you're only charging it. The only way to play audio from the phone is over bluetooth, not via USB.

I do keep a small USB flash drive (512GB) plugged into one of the USB ports, loaded with my entire music collection in flac format. I generally use that vs bluetooth from the phone.

• Informative x 1
  9. codex57

codex57 Member

Can you control your phone through bluetooth? Like scroll through playlists and stuff?

I dunno if it's just cuz my Honda has a terrible system, but when I play through bluetooth, all I can do is skip to the next track or previous track. And pause and play. That's it. I have no idea what song is playing, what song is next, etc. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it's like using a basic MP3 player with no screen.

10. tga

tga Supporting Member

You can't select/browse the content on your phone (playlists, albums, etc). Once you select the content on your phone and start playback, you can skip forward/back and pause, like your Honda. The phone can send song metadata to the car (album/artist/title) which the car displays on screen, so that's a bit better.

I'm not a Bluetooth protocol expert, but I'd guess it's determined by the version of AVRCP supported by the phone and car. It looks like later versions (1.4 and up) can do what you want - List of Bluetooth profiles - Wikipedia

The good news is that Tesla could add support in a later software release, something Honda and other legacy car manufacturers don't do.

• Helpful x 1
  11. jlv1

jlv1 Member

When playing something from my phone (Android), I only ever use Bluetooth. If I'm on a long road trip I'll just plug the phone into a USB port (or QC2 charger). I typically use the streaming players (Slacker and Tune-in) provided by the car, but when they don't have what I want I'll use from my phone either Spotify (which I have a premium account for) or Subsonic (streaming the content off my own server back at home).

I still hope someday Tesla will switch from Slacker to Spotify for the car.