Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently writing a piece about the impact owning a Tesla has on the various aspects of your life. Unfortunately I don't actually own a Tesla so I need the help of some Tesla owners. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their personal experience of owning a Tesla - both positive and negative. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael Forrest

I'm currently writing a piece about the impact owning a Tesla has on the various aspects of your life. Unfortunately I don't actually own a Tesla so I need the help of some Tesla owners. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their personal experience of owning a Tesla - both positive and negative. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael Forrest

Impact on my life? It's a car Michael. It serves a purpose like any car would and it's fun to drive but so were a few of my other cars but it hasn't changed my life.

Impact on my life? It's a car Michael. It serves a purpose like any car would and it's fun to drive but so were a few of my other cars but it hasn't changed my life.
I am soooo tempted to rate that "Funny!"
Just look at this guy who makes two shopping trips in a day just so he can drive the Tesla: Tesla moments
Maybe read the whole thread ... :p

-- Updated --

I did.

It makes me realize every day how I am helping the earth heal the disgusting amounts of pollution that we spew upon it. It makes enjoy driving more so than any other car I have owned. I forgot my fob and had to run down the street back home because it wouldn't go any further, bit stressful and funny now that I reflect on it, totally my fault though obviously !!
Peace of mind knowing my family is in the safest car on the planet. Knowing I won't have to stop at the gas station quickly before an appointment or worry about gas shortages ect. The radio in the car TOTALLY changes the way I listen to music and helps enjoy the drive quite a bit. That is about it for now.......

Reactions: newtman

Cheers,

Michael Forrest

I'll chime in here...

The Tesla has made me a much safer driver, has saved me time on my commute, and allows me to arrive at my destination more refreshed. I'm a full-time working professional, also pursuing a graduate degree part-time. This requires me to drive directly from work to school at least 2-3 times per week. When you factor in the 30 mile, 75+ minute one-way commute I have from home to work, and then the 45 mile, 90+ minute commute from work to school after a long 8-9 hour day at the office, well...needless to say that's pretty mentally taxing.

Getting the Tesla has saved me time by allowing me to use the carpool lane. It shaves the 75 and 90+ minute commutes mentioned above, to an average of about 50 and 65 minutes. It makes me a safer driver, less likely to be involved in an accident, because I can activate autopilot and act in only a supervisory manner. I've noticed my eyes don't get that droopy feeling, nor do I have to pull over and take a nap for 5-10 minutes in a parking lot before continuing to drive, as I used to have to do in my old car, a 2010 Mazda 3. This also lets me arrive at my destination much more refreshed and more prepared for another 3-4 hour long class.

So yes, this has been more than "just a car" for me and it has had some noticeable positive impacts on my day-to-day activities.

Cheers,

Michael Forrest
This is a comment regarding electric cars in general... not ever going to a gas station! It's truly amazing, haven't been to one on a regular basis for almost 4 years (prior EV owner to my MS). When I've had to go back to a gas station due to travel, you realize what a miserable, stinky, and disgusting experience it is to have to put flammable liquid in a motor vehicle. We will look back on ICE cars with bewilderment and wonder how anyone could have tolerated them and the regular fueling process. For as long as I live I never plan on going back to a gas station to regularly fuel a car, now if national rental car companies would have Teslas for rent I'd be set for life.

Plus it's good to know I'm no longer funding terrorism by buying gas.

Additional life changes due to Tesla: my road rage was cured. I just don't care what anyone else is doing, I'm in my Zen mobile! I engage with strangers to help them understand that driving electric doesn't have to mean compromise. I actually enjoy my daily commute.

Reactions: Beryl
Tesla has taken something that we've all taken for granted and reinvented it in a very exciting way. For the first time in my life I'm interested in cars and transportation in way that I never was before. Until now, anyone who has attempted to build an electric car has come up short; they've built small, boxy cars that don't have any practical range and have the look and feel of a science project. Tesla has built an electric car that far exceeds the expectations of anyone interested in an electric car and in doing so have actually leapfrogged traditional car makers in terms of look, handling, convenience, safety...and oh, by the way....it's electric and costs far less to operate and is better for the environment. They've taken us back to the 1950's and 60's when cars were exciting...but in a way that now reflects our sense of responsibility for the planet.

I also am interested in cars (well, BEVs, Teslas especially) more than I ever was - In fact before Tesla, I didn't care much either way. As a woman that makes me kind of a dork to my friends. ;)

Positives are: it has changed my life in that my commute went from a stress level of 10 to 2 because of autopilot. My husband and i both have jobs that take us away from home for 3-5 days at a time. I drive 185 miles to work from RI to NY via I95 and anyone who does that drive knows that it can be a nightmare. What should take me 3 hours regularly takes 5-6 during rush hour. AP makes my drive so much easier, calm, and makes me a less aggressive driver. I also have excellent supercharger coverage in my region, so charging is easy. Actually the expansion of the supercharger network was what made us consider a Tesla - no other BEV is an option because of the length of our regular commutes. (Husband's is even longer than mine - 300 miles.) When we are home, the huge battery means we don't even have to plug in every night. We charge to 90% when we arrive from our commutes - that is more than enough for our normal driving, errands, etc - we only plug in again to charge up to leave for work again.

Even in my 70D the acceleration is crazy fun, and the smooth, silent drive of the car is dreamy. I love that the only maintenance besides my annual service is tire rotation. I also love answering questions about my car - I guess being an early adopter means also being a bit of an EV-angelist, but it is kind of surprising to me how totally clueless people are about Tesla and it's range and supercharging - so much so that they had never given a BEV any thought whatsoever before they learned what is possible with a Tesla.

I have had zero issues with my car, so I have no negatives as it relates to the car itself. One negative I can think of, and one that might dissuade future buyers at first, is the scarcity of service centers. Since I've had no issue with my car, I've only had to visit the SC once for my annual - but that SC is an hour away. I don't mind the trip, but i do think people will hold off until there is a service center as close or almost as close as their ICE alternatives.

Another negative is dealing with all the anti-EV sentiment one finds from trolls on the internet, and even with some friends and/or acquaintances. I feel like I'm constantly seeing a barrage of FUD and it is frustrating. I no longer engage in the discussion online, but I do try to get through to people I actually know in real life haha.

what a miserable, stinky, and disgusting experience it is to have to put flammable liquid in a motor vehicle. We will look back on ICE cars with bewilderment and wonder how anyone could have tolerated them and the regular fueling process.
As long as we continue to burn fossil fuels to generate electricity I predict the day will come when there'll be a "know where your miles
come from" movement comparable to the current "know where your food comes from" movement. Just as people today are detached
from the true (and often gruesome and disgusting) origin of the meat they eat, people will become detached from the unpleasant origins of the electricity they use (they already largely are, so I'm talking specifically about automotive propulsion energy).

it's good to know I'm no longer funding terrorism by buying gas
Unfortunately, very few of us have renewable-sourced electricity available, so that part of the equation doesn't really change.

It makes me realize every day how I am helping the earth heal the disgusting amounts of pollution that we spew upon it. It makes enjoy driving more so than any other car I have owned. I forgot my fob and had to run down the street back home because it wouldn't go any further, bit stressful and funny now that I reflect on it, totally my fault though obviously !!
Peace of mind knowing my family is in the safest car on the planet. Knowing I won't have to stop at the gas station quickly before an appointment or worry about gas shortages ect. The radio in the car TOTALLY changes the way I listen to music and helps enjoy the drive quite a bit. That is about it for now.......

So would you say that safety is one of the most important aspects for you? What if another EV had the same safety rating? Would there be anything that would still make you choose a Tesla over that?

As long as we continue to burn fossil fuels to generate electricity I predict the day will come when there'll be a "know where your miles
come from" movement comparable to the current "know where your food comes from" movement. Just as people today are detached
from the true (and often gruesome and disgusting) origin of the meat they eat, people will become detached from the unpleasant origins of the electricity they use (they already largely are, so I'm talking specifically about automotive propulsion energy).

Unfortunately, very few of us have renewable-sourced electricity available, so that part of the equation doesn't really change.
Actually coal and natural gas used for electricity production comes from domestic sources (Saudi Arabia doesn't export these items to the US) so not only do your dollars not go overseas to help fun terrorism, your dollars stay in the US economy. Renewable energy is available to almost all Americans via companies like Solar City that will put solar on your roof for no money down.