Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually coal and natural gas used for electricity production comes from domestic sources (Saudi Arabia doesn't export these items to the US) so not only do your dollars not go overseas to help fun terrorism, your dollars stay in the US economy. Renewable energy is available to almost all Americans via companies like Solar City that will put solar on your roof for no money down.
Fossil fuels are all basically fungible. When we burn natural gas here rather than exporting it that means "the terrorists" instead sell it to someone who otherwise would have been buying ours. Dollars know no borders.

Solar City probably can't change my weather, nor my latitude, and I know I don't want them to cut down my trees!

Additional life changes due to Tesla: my road rage was cured. I just don't care what anyone else is doing, I'm in my Zen mobile! I engage with strangers to help them understand that driving electric doesn't have to mean compromise. I actually enjoy my daily commute.
This is a worthy observation. When I'm using AP I just don't get worked up about the drivers around me. Because I hardly notice them. Plus, *I'm* being less of a jackass trying to speedup or get ahead of people. I'm on literal and emotional cruise control - relaxed and happy, rollin' in my pimp ride.

Fossil fuels are all basically fungible. When we burn natural gas here rather than exporting it that means "the terrorists" instead sell it to someone who otherwise would have been buying ours. Dollars know no borders.

Solar City probably can't change my weather, nor my latitude, and I know I don't want them to cut down my trees!
Natural gas is only transported via pipelines, since no land bridge exists between the USA and Asia, Europe etc the USA doesn't sell natural gas to areas where "the terrorists" sell their natural gas, same can't be said about oil so I agree with you on that point.

That's something that I never expected to hear! Can you elaborate on how this has happened?
Sure! From meeting other owners at Cars & Coffee, with breakfast after, then to meeting up at other car events, several of us found we had a lot of things in common besides just owning Teslas. Soon it became a group text that's out of control (some days), a road trip together for a couple of us, and once on my way back from a trip to Charlotte, one of my friends showed up at my last charging stop, over 100 miles from where we live! He just felt like a drive, and thought it would be fun to surprise me and have dinner! It was awesome. (Whenever any of us goes on a road trip, we share our real-time status via the LocaToWeb app).

When I sold my first Tesla way sooner than my new one was going to arrive, one of my Tesla friends very generously offered me a car to drive... For what ended up being two months! It was no Tesla but, it was FREE!

I have Tesla acquaintances, also, but these guys are true friends!

This is a worthy observation. When I'm using AP I just don't get worked up about the drivers around me. Because I hardly notice them. Plus, *I'm* being less of a jackass trying to speedup or get ahead of people. I'm on literal and emotional cruise control - relaxed and happy, rollin' in my pimp ride.
It cured most of it in my old classic 60, but now that I'm BIG PIMPIN in my 90D with AP, nothing gets to me, LOL.

My Tesla (a Roadster 5.5 years ago) cemented in my mind that sustainable transport has arrived. This help prompt me to add solar not only for the car but home as well. My wife ice now drives a Plug-in Volt so we now produce just over 100% of the power needed for the house and BOTH cars. How cool is that.

I'm currently writing a piece about the impact owning a Tesla has on the various aspects of your life. Unfortunately I don't actually own a Tesla so I need the help of some Tesla owners. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their personal experience of owning a Tesla - both positive and negative. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael Forrest

Positives: My wife is happier.
Negatives: Cops notice us more.

PreTesla my wife always ran yellow lights; now she always slows down while approaching green lights and displays a rascal grin as she catches a red.

PreTesla my wife never used possessive adjectives about our cars; now "the car" is no longer used in my wife's sentences, and "MY car" is over-used with a big grin

PreTesla my wife was always last to get out of the house and into the car; now she somehow sneaks out of the house and by the time I get to the car she's sitting in the driver's seat smiling.

PreTesla my wife always parked nearest the entry door of our destination regardless of how narrow the parking stalls were; now she always parks in the farthest corner and smiles as she tells me "walking is good exercise".

PreTesla my wife drove while pretending there was an egg under the gas pedal to save fuel -- all while complaining about gas prices; now she imagines pulverizing the shell in record time -- all while grinning.

A somewhat different take than my Tesla motto: no yellow too short, no gap too small ;)
I totally get the being happy to be the first one stopped at a red light, but I'm not sure that isn't nearly outweighed by the
disappointment of being anything other than first :mad:
With few exceptions, I prefer not being the first one since I usually have TACC active.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I found the Tesla allows me to drive at a higher level, in other words, I'm managing the cars systems, looking at the road for developing situations, and this involves a different, more relaxed form of mental energy. Just the ability to be relieved of hitting the gas and brake hundreds of time in an hour of bumper to bumper traffic has greatly lowered stress. I worked a high stress job, causing health problems, and likely a reduced lifespan, so I can use less stress. I think the power releases endorphins, and it's power unlike ICE cars. Its immediate, get out of trouble power. Ne example: Last week, as the Tesla began forward following the car ahead when a stop light turned green, from the right, here comes a nice Porsche full speed right through the red light, about to center punch my drivers side. I floored it, and could immediately jump forward 30 feet, but also slow down for the car ahead. I was also going through a parking lot at about 5mph and someone threw it in reverse and immediately started backing into me. Didn't see tail light smoke or reverse lights. The person wasn't looking. Some deal, got out of the way as needed. Power isn't all about tire smoking street racing. It can get you out of trouble. I feel like I'm in a very safe car that is attempting to help me stay safe. If you can afford it, it's a unique experience.

I am another who can vouch for Autopilot being a healthy prescription for long life, presumably especially to Type-A male drivers. I have never spent so much time in the right or middle lane in traffic, not caring about the 3 car lengths of benefit that I might realize by changing lanes for a bit. Without question in my mind there is a reduction in stress hormones and the damage they cause.

That's as big as it gets -- Tesla, get some human studies going !

Autopilot is of course thanks to all the "fly by wire" electric stuff, which was a childhood dream of mine. I think I still have the tongue-out childhood drawing of my dream design. I didn't get to work on the car but I got to check that off as "done".

The Model S's all-electric propulsion is without question the most effective way of moving a vehicle for most normal driving requirements. It is so "natural" and continues to be delightful to squeeze electrons through the system with such high efficiency. You can enjoy highly spirited driving without guilt of making too much noise or wasting gas.

Ah gasoline, a highly volatile solvent, no more of that of course, or oil changes. This is not a small thing. They are gross.

Charging at home is easy for most and of course the amazing Supercharger network enables road trips and heck, maybe don't tell Tesla, it actually encourages them. I enjoy taking the charging breaks, sometimes exploring small towns, sometimes grabbing a bite, and sometimes taking a nap. As a former "Type-A" traveler I'm happy to say the car has changed me here as well. Vacations are not my time for Type A behaviours :)

Finally, the first thing that brought me to the platform, the calendar integration -- while many (most ? : ) owners end up complaining that the entertainment and nav systems are outdated compared to features from even 10 years ago, for people with busy calendars the calendar integration is nearly perfect -- if the address is in the Location field, tap it. If there's a phone number for a conference call, tap it. Oh, and you can also get a keypad on screen for those conference PIN #s. And the phone panel on a split screen. I've never been so productive in my Car Office, in fact I park outside the office sometimes to connect to the secure WiFi without needing the mobile and VPN access ;)