Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those in sunny/warmer climates! (glass roof)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

For those of you without tinted windows, and who live in sunny climates, do you feel a lot of heat (from the sun) coming in over your head from the glass roof?

I am tinting my side and rear windows next week with a 40-50% heat-rejecting ceramic tint, and the gentleman is asking if I want the glass roof covered. I live in Minnesota where it's not warm out now, so I haven't noticed heat from the sun coming through the roof. I DID however notice a lot of heat from the side windows...which will be tinted.

For those who live in warmer/sunny climates, do you notice a lot of heat coming in through the roof on sunny days? Or does the factory tint already do a good job at blocking those heat rays?

Thanks guys!!

Until I shaved my head because covid, I didn't think the roof let in much heat. I have since revisited that stance and I intend to add crystalline tint to the windshield (which I skipped on purpose originally because of worries about electronics destruction) and to the roof. I already have it on the sides and rear.

Reactions: EVNation
I haven't tinted at all. No issues yet. Parked car interior temperature gets over 60C in very short time with windows all the way up, so cracking the windows or using the cabin temp features gets used a lot.

I have thin short-cropped hair but not feeling the heat from above and certainly no sunburn, and AC keeps the cabin temperature comfortable without consuming unreasonable electrons while driving.

I guess based on above responses YMMV so why not do the roof if you can, but I don't mind it, and the family does love the expanded view above

• Informative
Reactions: MHATB FLA
For what it's worth, I bought the Tesla glass roof sun shade accessory (both front and rear). On sunny hot days the glass roof's heat was noticeable but I decided to take the sun shades out. I didn't think they were that necessary. I do park mostly in a garage however.

SW florida most of the time. No tinting of windows or roof shade. Don’t notice any heat while driving. I don’t like air blowing on my face so usually have air set wide and blowing high so that might be why. Always nice and comfortable when temp is set to 71...for us anyway. Btw, is there a difference in top window tinting between older model 3s and our 2020? Noticed some look different in the rain.

No tint on our 3. I never even think about the glass roof. We're definitely used to hot cars, so maybe we're just tolerant of the roof. Might also be different if you're on a long commute with the sun in a bad position. As our local driver, the 3 rarely goes in one direction for long.

Hi guys,

For those of you without tinted windows, and who live in sunny climates, do you feel a lot of heat (from the sun) coming in over your head from the glass roof?

I am tinting my side and rear windows next week with a 40-50% heat-rejecting ceramic tint, and the gentleman is asking if I want the glass roof covered. I live in Minnesota where it's not warm out now, so I haven't noticed heat from the sun coming through the roof. I DID however notice a lot of heat from the side windows...which will be tinted.

For those who live in warmer/sunny climates, do you notice a lot of heat coming in through the roof on sunny days? Or does the factory tint already do a good job at blocking those heat rays?

Thanks guys!!

tinting is mainly for looks and UV protection, not for heat rejection. The main source of heat is convection, not rays of sun coming in through the glass.
Dont tint the glass roof, it will cause cracking.

If the heat is an issue you can insert a heat shield - i do that when i have to do long distance travel and only have AC charging or slow DC charging in summer as it does lead to slightly less aircon use from the heat being reflected outside.

Everyone, I truly appreciate your wonderful feedback and thoughts! What a great group of people here! I hope to return the favor in the future.

Based on all the feedback above, and my State's climate...I think I'm going to save a few bucks and not tint the roof. Any warmth that enters the cabin (from the roof glass) during our long winters will likely be 'welcome'. It sounds like it's not a big problem even in the warmest climates! Perfect!!

Reactions: MHATB FLA
Everyone, I truly appreciate your wonderful feedback and thoughts! What a great group of people here! I hope to return the favor in the future.

Based on all the feedback above, and my State's climate...I think I'm going to save a few bucks and not tint the roof. Any warmth that enters the cabin (from the roof glass) during our long winters will likely be 'welcome'. It sounds like it's not a big problem even in the warmest climates! Perfect!!

warmth doesnt enter via the glassroof.

Southern California here. We bought the Tesla sunscreens for the front and back roof. We only really need them when we are on long trips.They are really easy to install, and fold into their own case. We put them on in about May and remove in October. The screens cut down the glare and probably some heat. I think they essential for driving through the desert, or hot regions.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
I was thinking about tinting the windows, but I HATE it when I want to make eye contact with someone and their tint prevents me from seeing them.

My issue was that in the summertime I would walk past my car out in the sun and the AC would be running, sometimes for much of the day. They sell suction cup umbrellas that I could have put on but would have to take off to drive. Or car covers, but they take the dirt off your dirty car and redeposit it after you have washed your car, and again, have to take off to drive.

So I got the sunshades that clip under the roof, and I got the ones that come with a removable layer of reflective cloth. I was SUPER-happy to discover that even on the hottest days my car no longer runs the Cabin Overheat Protection. In the dead of summer, I have both layers on, in the winter I have neither on. Spring and Fall I play it by ear.