Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those in sunny/warmer climates! (glass roof)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Australia. Last weekend we had two days in a row above 40 degrees, which is brutally hot. I've recently installed one of those aftermarket mesh shades above the front seats and that seems to do the trick. The AC in the car manages fine. I generally park undercover.

The plan is to leave the sunshade in place for the rest of the summer and then take it out for the cooler months.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
I’m in Phoenix, and have had my Model 3 for three years-including last summers 53 days over 110F/43C, and at least one 120F/49C day. None of my windows are tinted.
if the car has been sitting on the sun, the AC will cool it quickly, but there will still be some heat radiating from the windows/roof for 10-15 minutes after I get in. If I’m on a long trip, I can only feel heat from the roof if I put the back of my hand up a couple inches from the glass. Frankly, for me, the glass roof is a complete non-issue, other than I wish it came further forward so I could get the kind of view the rear seat passengers get.

Does it help? I still feel heat come through the roof on these brutal california summers. Spring too, it's already hot.

I've thought about exterior window tint since that'll block some of the heat causing rays before it enters the glass. Ceramic xpel like I have on my windows already (except roof) but I worry it'll only reflect the rays back into the glass that is already designed to reject it, yet still gets plenty hot.

Really I'm just seeing if anyone has done this before and noticed a difference or not.

I'm very aware of the options to get the sunshade cover but I'm trying to enjoy the roof without the heat...

We have no issue with heat when driving and use a windshield sunshade only when parked. If we have to park more in full sun then I would consider getting the roofglass sunshade, but I don't feel we really need another layer of tint inside the car. If warm roof bothers you, have you considered an extra IR reflective coating on the outside?

We have no issue with heat when driving and use a windshield sunshade only when parked. If we have to park more in full sun then I would consider getting the roofglass sunshade, but I don't feel we really need another layer of tint inside the car. If warm roof bothers you, have you considered an extra IR reflective coating on the outside?
Haven't seen anything about it. Besides tint and film, I don't know much. I see IR reflective paints but I'm not going to put that on my glass. What do you know about?

I don't see much for exterior window tint either and it seems to be something most don't recommend since it is exposed to everything, including high winds from driving. I can imagine it tearing off easily.

You could vinyl wrap the top glass I suppose. As opposed to a ceramic coat on the inside of the window that would concentrate heat on the window, it would keep the heat on the outside of the vehicle (for the most part).
You could also get those inserts (https://www.amazon.com/Angooni-Mode...ocphy=9019515&hvtargid=pla-947429624073&psc=1)

I also haven't heard of that many people having issues with the glass breaking. I could see it being more an issue if it was really hot and you hit a car wash with cold water.

Yeah unless I could use tint on the outside of the window. But that's probably not happening. Too bad. Someone might be smart to make a vinyl wrap type material to be installed on the outside specifically as a tint.

Oh well, guess this is just the reality of owning a car with a glass roof.

I live a very hot part of California with summer temps frequently breaking 110 degrees. I have the interior Tesla sunshade installed on the roof window above my head. I have Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint on all windows except for the small window directly above my head (the installer refused to install the tint on this window, as he said Tesla told him there was a risk that glass could crack). With the combination of the ceramic tint and the sunshade, I have had no issues at all. I have noticed that the once I turn on the AC, the car cools down much faster and the AC has to work less hard to keep the cabin cool.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
I have all windows on my model 3P tinted, including the back window and glass roof, with 3M crystalline. I have 20% on all windows except the windshield, which has 70%. It does seem to make the car cooler to me, and I dont use a shade for the glass roof. I do use a very good window shade for the windshield whenever I park outside.

Reactions: joebruin77
Has anyone actually had their roof glass crack from tinting it? I have read in several threads not to do it but it all seems to be a rumor. Is the glass that bad?

I have two other cars currently with pano roofs. One of them has had roof window tint for 7 years now with absolutely no issues. It has spent time in the hot parts of SoCal, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Texas and now Florida for the past three years with no issues. It had a retractable sunshade that helped but until I added tint, I could definitely feel the heat on my head.

The other car has lived is life in the south and it had a much better sunshade arrangement. Still tinting its window really cut down on how hard the AC worked and much cooler when you get in the car.

The tint definitely saved my interior on the first car as it was parked outside all of its life. Even in 115F temps in Death Valley, the tint helped out the car's AC. I also did window tint but the area of the roof was large compared to the windows.

So if I could use tint on the roof of the Tesla I will order this week, it would be a major plus.

I live a very hot part of California with summer temps frequently breaking 110 degrees. I have the interior Tesla sunshade installed on the roof window above my head. I have Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint on all windows except for the small window directly above my head (the installer refused to install the tint on this window, as he said Tesla told him there was a risk that glass could crack). With the combination of the ceramic tint and the sunshade, I have had no issues at all. I have noticed that the once I turn on the AC, the car cools down much faster and the AC has to work less hard to keep the cabin cool.
I have the same tint on my windows as well. Front windshield too. It helps a lot.

Reactions: joebruin77