Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those of you using hotspots in your car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind sharing the model and carrier you use?

Or, can some share how much data on average the model 3 would use a month? I know this can vary but a ball park estimate, so I can decide what level of data to get a month.

I know many people may use their phone--I want to use a dedicated hotspot. Currently I'm using my tablet in the car :p and want something more practical.

Iknow there are some commercial hotspots that you can install, but I don't want to go that route. I just want one you can sit in the drawer in the car and keep it pushin' :) .

Appreciate any info.

Here's one data point, but not sure how much help it will be. I use my Verizon iPhone as a hotspot to DL updates only (I unnecessarily pay for Premium access). I downloaded the 2020.8.3 update yesterday. Just checked my cellular usage and it is showing 5.9 GB of usage for my Tesla_Model_3 for the current period.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
A lot of ways to skin this cat. My carrier is Verizon. I use their WiFi hotspot Model MiFi7730L-A4F5. I store it in my arm rest center console. When traveling we place it wherever convenient, and keep it plugged in. My wife uses it for her iPad. For all local driving I am on my courtesy year with Tesla LTE. I will keep that active when it expires in December. For software updates in my driveway the car is connected to my home wifi. I don't measure usage, so can't answer that question. Since we also use the hotspot in our second home, and in hotels when traveling - also in airports - I maintain a generous plan through Verizon (I think it is the 12GB/mo plan) We only occasionally push that limit. Hope that helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
yup your post is helpful. my main concern is how much data would i need and you gave e some input. i live in an apartment with an indoor garage and it can get tmobile service just fine (as well as whatever tesla use for data) but it cant sniff my wifi, so for those times id like to have a hotspot idling in the car.

i will say since friday last week when i picked up the car until yestrday, that number my tablet is on that provides the hotspot used about 12gb of data. i can easily measure this because i only used that tablet for this. i received 3 updates over the week and with it being new i suspect that number is high and will settle .

any others who use hotspots are wlecome to chime in if you are open to it.

• Love
Reactions: Char
hey bro you did not hijack - good to see the dust blown off on the thread! :)

I ended up getting a huawei hotspot device and ive had good success with it. as a matter of fact, thursday i got this download when i was cleaning the car - it had no issues downloading. the update is uuuuuge so perhap make sure you are in a solid connection area and re-attempt.

I just wished they would update the car firmware so that WiFi tries to reconnect to your hotspot every time the car starts back up.
Right now I think I have to manually turn on WiFi every time after switches the vehicle to Drive.

this sounds like an issue with your wifi access point. Have you tried another brand/model? I have never had an issue with this. Mine connects to wifi anytime the car is put into park.

this sounds like an issue with your wifi access point. Have you tried another brand/model? I have never had an issue with this. Mine connects to wifi anytime the car is put into park.
Your response is not an answer to the question. Our cars turn OFF wifi when the car is put into drive, thus requiring manual activation of wifi again, so we can use our hotspots while driving.

To the OP - I use T-Mobile One (they too change their offerings like Tesla...randomly and frequently), so YMMV, but on my plan I have "unlimited" data up to about 50GB/mo before they might throttle me. Included within that 50GB is a 10GB LTE Hotspot limit...after 10GB it slows down to somewhere between 2.5 - 3G - but it'd still be usable for pulling down live traffic etc.

Hope this helps.