Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those regularly using USB drive for music playback:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MYLR modified with the T-Parts USB control module that enabled data on the front USB-C ports. I had read semi-recently, either by release notes or posts/comments that the handling of usb music was better after recent software updates (playback resume when entering car after parking, etc.).

I may be dealing with T-Parts module issue but in my case, it really hasnt changed. If I leave my car with USB music playing for a period of time over (let's say) 5 minutes when I assume the car goes to sleep, upon re-entering cabin, the music will be on Tidal (for example).

Looking for a few responses here, hopefully:

either,

You have a car pre-2022 that came with working Tesla data ports in front and....your USB music/playback always works when re-entering the car (on modern/recent software)?

or

You have modded/swapped your USB control module with "name/brand" and...your USB music/playback always works when re-entering your car (on modern/recent software)?

Always having to go back and tap on the USB drive icon on the launch bar gets pretty old. And if, I see others do not have this problem, I will most likely get the OEM module to get this "luxury".

Thanks

My first reaction is to be envious of your car's willingness to play music from USB simply because (if I understand you correctly) you press a "USB" icon on the touchscreen. I've had a Jun2020 Model Y, and although its music playback controls have changed their behavior several times over the course of the last couple years of updates, they've never actually functioned correctly, IMHO. Originally, I was using a small USB thumb drive transplanted from my previous car (a Nissan LEAF), but it didn't seem able to support the transfer speeds that Sentry mode needed. So, I installed a "Jesla USB hub" in my car's console, with an SSD installed inside it. The best advice offered here on TMC was to use voice commands to resume playback from the mounted USB music sources after the car's gone into deep sleep, and that seems to work for me. Just hit the "pay attention" scrollwheel and say, "U S B". As of the most recent update, I find that that puts the car in a state where music will resume just by pressing the left scrollwheel (previously, only pressing the "play" icon on the screen would work)!

I have a 2018 Model 3 and here's your answer. Your music defaults back to streaming for two reasons: There is no USB option in the default music settings. Whenever your car goes to sleep, power gets cut to your USB ports. So when you start the car back up, it reverts to your last used streaming option. Here's the workaround. You can either leave sentry mode on all the time (which keeps power to the USB ports, OR you can easily pick up where you left off on your USB music listening by issuing the voice command "play a song from USB". Details can be found here:

I don't see how usb could have anything to do with GPS.
My car however does think it lives next door and has since
I got it. And it did that before I installed the Hub. There is a
thread about the GPS having some problems like what I describe
here somewhere.

I don't see how usb could have anything to do with GPS.
My car however does think it lives next door and has since
I got it. And it did that before I installed the Hub. There is a
thread about the GPS having some problems like what I describe
here somewhere.
Electromagnetic interference can disrupt GPS signals. Not sure if a hub can cause a GPS measurement to be off by a few meters but I think that's what @Akash Jain is asking.

I play all flac from USB as well. It is very frustrating that the audio system cannot "remember" where you were on the drive before going to sleep, though I understand why.
However, I've tried the trick an earlier poster mentioned about using the voice command to play USB. It did not work for me. It simply started playing music from the BAND USB on the Slacker Streaming Service...LOL.