Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question for us who drive for Lyft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't do phone screen mirroring. I doubt you'd be able to pull up anything like that on the browser either. The best you could do is probably enter the address on the screen or send it to the car with the Tesla app. The voice commands work pretty well too. "Navigate to..."

There is no way to do it. I got a phone holder that sticks to the back of the screen and keep my phone left of the screen. After I explain how to open the doors I use the voice command and tell them that the Tesla navigation is much better than Lyft/Uber. Hopefully Lyft and Uber expand there EV premium to pay us a little more.

3 year driver (not full time) and will be adding my 3 when I get it.

Link to the phone holder?
I have an iPad mini I was hoping fit in the console nicely, or I will just use my phone.

Tips are just a bonus, most folks don’t tip however Lyft pax tip way more than Uber.

Over the years I’ve averaged $1.21 for every mile driven on the lowest platform (regular Lyft / x) and up to $1.67 on the higher (my older suv I’m keeping for weekend nights). This car qualifies for Lux and possibly Select , those rides are fewer and far between but the rate is the same as that suv vehicle above.

That’s my averages for every mile driven even unpaid while doing rideshare.

So I figure an example of 20 k ( $24k revenue assuming lowest tier only driving) miles drops my model 3 cost to me that much more. Add in the writeoff .54 mile that’s an additional $4k to me in writeoffs using my tax costs.

I am assuming I will drive much more with the initial fun and newness of the Tesla .

Wish me luck.

Let me add for the insurance and warranty folks.

Insurance carriers offer rideshare protection look into it .
Tesla , I almost purchased an X . The manager told me they had numerous folks who had the X and were doing rideshare. His words “ we don’t care what you do it’s your car” . This was in response to me being shaky on the warranty.
I think the thing is , in the fine print they are not going to announce they are 100% ok with it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gouldness
I did a little Lyft driving in my old Model 3.

There are a LOT of Teslas in this area, so reaction rates may be different elsewhere. About half the passengers didn't say anything about the car. Like BigJohn noted, the ones that didn't say anything were less likely to tip. Another 30% just mentioned it in passing, like "nice car". I had some great conversations with the 20% that asked a question about it. (I tried not to bring it up; the poor passengers just asked for a ride...)

I also noted that younger passengers were more likely to put in their headphones, so no conversation at all (perhaps aside from "nice car"). Most older riders did at least some talking, even if not about the car.

To pick up passengers at SeaTac airport, your car must get at least 40mpg. My car wasn't getting added to the queue. After a couple of calls and an hour on the phone with support, they finally figured out (I had suggested it more than once) that their internal database didn't have an entry for the Model 3. It's there now.

I think it would have been a lot easier if I lived somewhere dense, like downtown Seattle or Bellevue. But I live out on the edge of Issaquah, and I would usually have to wait a bit for a ride (assuming I was accepting all rides; if I was only accepting Lux, I perhaps could have waited forever). Then I'd usually have to drive a ways to get to them. Then they'd usually want me to take them somewhere far away, like downtown Seattle or the airport. I got paid for that, but then I was far away. I was never able to get a matching ride home, so all of that driving was unpaid too.

I was clearly making enough money to pay for depreciation on my LR RWD, but there was precious little to compensate for my time. Making money wasn't my goal, but I'm not going to certify my new P3D for Lyft driving largely because of the time uncertainty. If I wanted to go out and drive for 12 hours, Lyft might work for me. But I typically just want to drive, say, for an hour or two until my wife gets home. More than once I thought "one more ride" which ended up being a ride to the airport (you have no idea how far or in what direction a passenger wants to go until after you accept the ride!) in rush hour traffic, and then a trip back alone through the same traffic - the last one took well over 2 hours total, and put 60 miles on my car, and I got $38 - and I got home long past my target.

Agree with @ChadS .

I happen to live in downtown Seattle hence why my averages I posted above happen to be what they are as well. Location is absolutely critical to how much you can make and I must say being downtown I can turn off the app and be home in 10 mins. When you turn on the app and travel to a town, the pressure to drive and make $$ becomes that much more.

As to being pulled away on that last ride, it does happen....I do reserve the right to let the pax know “sorry I’m getting off soon and not going that way” but I do that very rarely.

How's the response been from riders? Assuming positive.

The reactions are great and the Uber video that someone posted a few weeks don't do it justice. Last Friday I picked up a group of three 20yr old females and some of there comments were priceless. This was in Omaha Nebraska and there might only be 300 Tesla's in the state.

"It really is a Tesla"
"It has always been my dream to ride is a Tesla"
"Why are driving a Tesla for Uber?"
"Are you someone famous, no who the F are you really?"
"Are we on some kind of hidden camera show?"
"Can we just drive around"
And my favorite "Have you had someone get naked in here because this car is a panty dropper?"

There is no way to do it. I got a phone holder that sticks to the back of the screen and keep my phone left of the screen. After I explain how to open the doors I use the voice command and tell them that the Tesla navigation is much better than Lyft/Uber. Hopefully Lyft and Uber expand there EV premium to pay us a little more.
What phone holder specifically do you use?