Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question from a guy driving Manual transmission for 15 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the advise turning it to low helped. But as I only have the 75 S fo 3 days I switched it back to standard to try to get used to it as much as possible. I think I got better~

Flooring the car is so fun, but the rear did slip a little bit one time when I was on-ramp.
Would a 90D be better than the 75 in this area?

Also, just got back to my hotel... And noticed TWO ev parked at ev spot without charging... When I needed to charge...

Now I gotta go line up at one of the SC tmr instead of Charging overnight at hotel . I was so pissed off when I saw them at ev spot with ev plug, unplugged!!!!

Is there a wall of shame somewhere?

Attachments

• 20191117_010724.jpg
    20191117_010724.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191117_010737.jpg
    20191117_010737.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 56
Maybe they thought it was convenience parking for EV owners, like some places have convenient parking spots for families with babies or young children. Or they forgot to plug in. Too bad they weren't Supercharger stations so you could help by plugging in for them.

• Funny
Reactions: ahhlun
we have that issue at work, with EV's parking in the charging stations but not plugging in. Mostly it's new EV owners that think it's like our hybrid spots they used to park their Priuses in. Education usually fixes it. I've heard that the hotel can usually take care of informing the EV driver to move if they aren't charging, assuming the EV's are owned by someone staying at the hotel.

But yeah this is one thing preventing me from taking my Tesla on long trips where I have to rely on destination charging being available at a hotel (for those in CA, SC's are not on every street corner in the rest of the country / world). I just don't trust it will be available for me and if it's not I'm screwed.

Question from a guy having driven Manual transmission for 15 years.
I am debating whether to buy a CPO model S, and I rented a model S from Turo to try out.

I am having 2 problems with the regen braking aspect of the Tesla

1) My right feet feels so tired trying to modulate the amount of regen applied (in order to avoid jerkiness)
2) My wife and I both feels like my drive is way smoother when I drive manual than when I am driving the model S.

I would have thought such a technologically advanced car would actually making driving less tiring and smoother.

I tried TACC and thought that is also kind of jerky.
Maybe I just need a few days to learn to use the pedal.
But when I am driving my manual transmission car, when I know I am coming to a stop, I put my car in Neutral and let the car coast to a stop smoothly.
Most of my driving life has been with standard transmission. I found the switchover pretty easy (about fifteen minutes to get used to it and about another couple of hours of urban driving with lots of stops to get good at it). Perhaps your seat position is such that your right foot is in a somewhat awkward position.

I had the same issue at a Tesla destination charger a few weeks ago. A MS was parked and not plugged in when I needed to charge. Came back an hour later it was still there. Not cool at all.
In many places the employees don't care who parks in destination chargers. But in some places there are cones provided to reduce the instance of ICEing at least (most ICE that park in charging stalls do so because they are lazy--far too lazy to move a cone. Occasionally speaking to the manager can get some action, but often not right away.

I am debating whether to buy a CPO model S, and I rented a model S from Turo to try out.

1) My right feet feels so tired trying to modulate the amount of regen applied (in order to avoid jerkiness)
2) My wife and I both feels like my drive is way smoother when I drive manual than when I am driving the model S.

I would have thought such a technologically advanced car would actually making driving less tiring and smoother.

But when I am driving my manual transmission car, when I know I am coming to a stop, I put my car in Neutral and let the car coast to a stop smoothly.

I’ve had ‘em all. Automatics, push button automatics, manuals, column shift, floor shift, cars without synchros on the first gear, a jeep with a low range and manual hubs, turbocharged manual sports cars, I’ve driven tractors, I can drive pretty much anything.

If the automatic transmission is the next level of automation over a good manual, then the Tesla is the next generation beyond that. It only has the one gear so it doesn’t need a transmission. When you’re stopped, the motors are stopped. There’s no spinning engine that needs to be disconnected from the wheels, then when you go, the motors turn, torque is instant, no revving, no feeling the engine start to pull as you ease out the clutch, there’s no turbo lag, just instant effortless magnificently controllable nearly limitless power.

The single pedal driving with the regeneration system to slow is easy to regulate, it becomes second nature very quickly. Your problem is you are muscle trained for the manual transmission cars. It isn’t that the Tesla is jerky, it’s you, you’re jerky because you are still in manual mode, revving a bit to start off, clutching when you stop.

Manuals are nice but they have drawbacks. Slow stop and go traffic is about the worst, where you creep along at walking speed when you go and end up stopping a lot. That’s hard on the clutch. Automatics are better. They’ll creep. That helps. The Tesla, though, you can set the car to follow at the speed limit and the car will just follow the car in front, it goes when that car goes, follows nicely. Then there is the steep uphill with the manual, stopped with some idiot right on your back bumper. It’s going to roll back, well unless you are better at it than I was. I’d have to use the hand brake until the forward pull was enough to prevent the back roll. Then there was the very slick road where the engine was connected directly to the back wheels. I’ve spun. Not often but enough.

I loved the manual transmission with the turbo, second gear was a thrill. I put a Jim Wolfe racing kit in a Nissan 300zx twin turbo, that car had just at 400 HP. I went to Germany and visited the BMW factory before ordering a 3 series convertible with a manual. I put a short shift kit in it, it had a stainless ball instead of the factory plastic, was a short throw notchy shifter. It felt so connected. I loved it.

The Tesla is better, though. It’s all round better than any car I’ve had. Driving is just effortless. You’ll get used to it, more quickly than you think. Then you can go back to a manual or a conventional automatic, it’ll come back in a heartbeat, and then you get back in the Tesla, and it’s just so easy, so strong, so capable, so controllable, so transparent. Me, I’m ruined. I’ve got well over 50 years of driving, and this Tesla is just superb. I don’t miss the shifting. I’ve done enough of it I think. I liked it, it’s just that this is so much better.

So do what you want, but your concerns about the jerkiness, it is something we all go through, but it doesn’t last very long. Then it’s nirvana. Just effortless fine control. And there’s no shifting at all. It isn’t that you are giving up the clutch and the shifter, it’s that the car doesn’t need it.

If you always drove in neutral, a half tap of the shift stick will do the same in your tesla. Full pull it to re engage drive. It will feel exactly like your manual. Also use low regen if you're having trouble modulating the pedal.

• Helpful
Thanks for the advise turning it to low helped. But as I only have the 75 S fo 3 days I switched it back to standard to try to get used to it as much as possible. I think I got better~

Flooring the car is so fun, but the rear did slip a little bit one time when I was on-ramp.
Would a 90D be better than the 75 in this area?

Also, just got back to my hotel... And noticed TWO ev parked at ev spot without charging... When I needed to charge...

Now I gotta go line up at one of the SC tmr instead of Charging overnight at hotel . I was so pissed off when I saw them at ev spot with ev plug, unplugged!!!!

tell the front desk and give them the plate number. They may have it on file and can contact the vehicle owners. Could also leave a note on the car explaining what they did wrong “in a nice way”.

In many places the employees don't care who parks in destination chargers. But in some places there are cones provided to reduce the instance of ICEing at least (most ICE that park in charging stalls do so because they are lazy--far too lazy to move a cone. Occasionally speaking to the manager can get some action, but often not right away.

I often make a point that you tell the staff the ONLY reason why I stayed there is because they had the charger (even if I don’t use it). And if I did need to use it, I’d make a point to tell the front desk the license plate of someone blocking it.

Reactions: Russell and ahhlun

Regarding issue number 1, this is only an issue when you are using the car in traffic. When the road is open, you will always be accelerating or maintaining speed, rarely coasting. The solution to this is to use autopilot for situations where there is traffic. Remember how traffic works in a manual car. Autopilot is a great feature and the car is really designed with autopilot in mind.

For issue #2, I've seen some complaints about autopilot from the passenger side. It helps the driver the most.

Are you referring to stopping like in a parking space or driveway? There is a new feature added for low-speed regen braking called "hold" (other choice are roll, creep), and it was very recently added. It causes regen braking even at low speeds. You can turn that off in the settings. I don't like it but I haven't disabled it yet.

When I had a Volt, one -pedal driving could be done by keeping it in 2nd gear all the time. It was too severe and I didn't like it. Tesla's one-pedal is much better, with much smoother transitions. I now prefer it over ICE driving where you have to actually step on the brake to slow down.

I actually find regen to be more like driving my manual Miata than driving my automatic Ridgeline. The Miata's engine braking when in gear is close to regen in its ability to slow down, whereas the truck just sails ahead. Other newer cars with CVTs really feel like they are in neutral when taking your foot off the throttle. It requires more jockeying back and forth to the brake due to this.

I share a similar experience with the OP regarding a smoother start and stop with a manual. I have a 26 year history exclusively owning manual transmission vehicles and buying an EV was my first non-manual. The instant torque off the line gives a little kick from stop to 3-mph, but the acceleration from 3mph-100mph is as smooth as you modulate with your foot. As for coming to a stop, I was so accustom to gear coasting/engine braking/downshifting then approaching a stop in neutral while lightly applying the brakes and letting the friction of the road stop the car from 2mph to a dead stop. I noticed most automatic drivers pitch the brakes at the very end in order to stop the car, and manual drivers could smoothly coast to a stop.

What I've found is that the Tesla stops smoother if you stop a little more aggressively without trying to glide to a stop. I think it's the nature o the brake system (4-pot Brembos). They have a tendency to bite at the end of a low-speed stop. Mine also makes an audible groan.

In the end it just takes some getting use to. As for having a tired foot from pedal modulation, it might have something to do with your seat position and perhaps your anxiety of driving a new car that is not your own. Use your heel as a fulcrum and relax your leg/foot and press with the ball of foot. If you're driving for more than 2 hours, consider using the cruise control. If you're driving for 3 hours, you'll probably need to stop and Supercharge so get out for a walk and stretch your legs while your car charges.

I couldn't manage to learn how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. I do feel like the control in the Model S is amazing. It's like being able to use a fine tip pen or instantly switch to using a paint brush in terms of control. ICEV control is like trying to write with a cheap pen and nothing comes out and then scribbling until the ink comes out.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Going from one technology to another always takes a bit of time.

Driving a stick, you are used to fully taking your foot off the gas every time you shift. Up/down...Up/Down...Up/Down over and over again.

You will quickly learn to modulate your torque with your right foot. Super easy and intuitive after just a few miles.

You can start with mild regeneration, get used to that and then use full regen. Latest setting is full one pedal driving where you rarely need to shift your foot to the brake at all.

We use autopilot to remove that fatigue from driving in traffic or long distances, but it will take a while for a new EV driver to release control to the computer, but once done it is enlightening and freeing.

Will take you a bit to get as good at one pedal driving as you are now with 15 years of 3 pedal driving..

Maximum torque at Zero RPM is transformational. No longer slip your clutch. Driving becomes more intuitive.
The most funny of it is when you drive back a manual car after driving an EV for a long time, because

you lose the habit of dwonshifting before accelerating after slowing down,

like for example when taking a sharp curb at slow speed, otherwise you might kill your engine when pressing on the gas pedal.

Last edited:
I lend my friends 2019 model 3, I'm gonna say even when the regeneration setting is at standard, the model 3 drives way smoother.

When I let off the gas *completely* from 50 mph, it does not jerk nearly as much.

Something to do with improved regeneration braking hardware/software?

The model s I drove was 2016 ap1

If you always drove in neutral, a half tap of the shift stick will do the same in your tesla. Full pull it to re engage drive. It will feel exactly like your manual. Also use low regen if you're having trouble modulating the pedal.
I do this sometimes but it can be a little scary when it refuses to go back into Drive if you are going fairly slow it will complain that you haven't pressed brake