Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: How do I know if the car has FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am in the market of used model 3 performance.
Since FSD is $7,000 option, whether that car has FSD or not should be factored is asking price is right.

So let's assume I found a car I like.
Is there any way that I can know with VIN number?
If VIN is not enough, how do I know?

Also, here are other related questions.
- is there any difference between 2018 and current model?
- How do I know if the car has HW 2.5 or HW 3? I am considering 2018 Dec model.
- Is there anything I should be careful for?

2018 will have HW 2.5 unless they bought FSD and scheduled their upgrade; you can check which version from the GUI now (software tab, additional vehicle info).
They should be able to show you a screenshot of their login with details of what the car has (and of the GUI HW page).
Word to the wise: if it isn’t on the Moroney sticker or they can’t provide an invoice FSD may not be permanent. I have EAP and FSD invoices for my 2018 that I downloaded from the website after purchase, if the seller bought post-purchase they should be able to get them too else check the window sticker.

1. The balance of the new car warranty will transfer
2. Whether it has (or had) FSD or not, it would only be guaranteed to transfer to you in a private sale (so the sticker is not enough, unless you are buying from the first owner.
3. 2018 cars could have ENHANCED autopilot or Full self Driving. You would need to be careful because someone who has enhanced autopilot might market the car as having full self driving, as the feature set of ENHANCED autopilot and full self driving is basically the same, currently.
4. No one can purchase ENHANCED autopilot any longer, so a 2018 with enhanced autopilot and a 2019 with "autopilot" do NOT have the same feature set when it comes to FSD.

A screen capture of the tesla account that the seller has showing "full self driving" is purchased would be one way, there is also an information screen in the car itself that shows whether it has "full self driving computer" (HW3) or not... I forget what it says when you have HW2.5

A 2018 will come with frunk hooks in the frunk, and if a performance model will also have homelink installed (and that will show in the information screen in the car).

2018s are said to be noisier on the road.

I also doubt you will save a ton of money on buying a used performance vs a new one. Some, yes, a lot, no.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
I believe all 2018s have Homelink not just Performance. My AWD does for sure.

Autopilot computer:2.5 Computer

would be visible in the Software section on the Additional vehicle information link.

If it’s really got FSD it is eligible to be upgraded to the 3.0 computer.
I believe it’s already got 3.0 it really should have FSD as that would have taken a service appointment to be installed and was only done for those who did have FSD.

would be visible in the Software section on the Additional vehicle information link.

I believe it’s already got 3.0 it really should have FSD as that would have taken a service appointment to be installed and was only done for those who did have FSD.

What does homelink do? sorry for noobie question :)

Assuming that you're dealing with a personal sale, versus say a dealer, you should ask the person to see their Upgrades page in the Tesla App. There's two tabs: Eligible and Purchased. If FSD has been purchased, it should tell you when it was bought and provide a link to view the invoice.

re: Homelink It's basically a supersized garage door opener and remote control.

Model 3 Automatic Garage Opener - HomeLink

Assuming that you're dealing with a personal sale, versus say a dealer, you should ask the person to see their Upgrades page in the Tesla App. There's two tabs: Eligible and Purchased. If FSD has been purchased, it should tell you when it was bought and provide a link to view the invoice.

re: Homelink It's basically a supersized garage door opener and remote control.

Model 3 Automatic Garage Opener - HomeLink

The thing is that I am dealing with dealer who is not very knowledgable about the car. And this is online purchase with money back guarantee, so I won't be able to test drive it before I pull the trigger. In this case, would I be able to call to Tesla and ask?

I think all LR versions from 2018 have homelink. I dont know if the SR+ came with it in 2018 for example, and I dont think a SR had it unless it was a SR+ downgraded to SR. It gets murky sometimes with tesla thats for sure.

I didnt mean to imply that only 2018 performance would have homelink, just that if the OP was looking at a 2018 performance, it would definitely have it.

I think all LR versions from 2018 have homelink. I dont know if the SR+ came with it in 2018 for example

The SR didn't ship to anybody until 2019.... 2018 was all LR and MR (which had identical interiors all with homelink)

Assuming OP is buying from original owner- ask for a copy of their MVPA- that'll have whatever they paid for when they bought the car listed option wise.

If they bought FSD after the fact looking at their online account is likely your best option

2018 will have HW 2.5 unless they bought FSD and scheduled their upgrade; you can check which version from the GUI now (software tab, additional vehicle info).
They should be able to show you a screenshot of their login with details of what the car has (and of the GUI HW page).
Word to the wise: if it isn’t on the Moroney sticker or they can’t provide an invoice FSD may not be permanent. I have EAP and FSD invoices for my 2018 that I downloaded from the website after purchase, if the seller bought post-purchase they should be able to get them too else check the window sticker.

The car I am looking at is delivered at Dec 2018. Is there any chance it would have EAP? I am not sure when the EAP has stopped to be offered.