TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question: How to leave your friend in the car?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by ekwng, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ekwng

ekwng Member

#1 ekwng, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I parked and jump off to pick up something, leaving my friend in the car, car key in armrest cupholder, kept radio aircon everything ON.

Few minutes later I got a call from my friend telling me there's a power cut, everything shuts down :scared:

Fortunately I have my phone so I use the app to turn on the aircon for him.

Is there a way to keep the aircon on without driver in the seat? or perhaps someday I need to leave my dog in the car? :confused:

2. eepic

eepic Member

I think the only way would be to leave the key with your friend in the car to keep the car "on", no different than a traditional car where the key has to stay in the ignition... with the difference being with Tesla you have the choice to turn the air conditioning back on remotely afterwards without the key.

3. ekwng

ekwng Member

I did. I left the key in the cup holder.

4. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

I stick my foot in after I get out and tap the brake. The car stays on for another 30 minutes even if you take the keyfob and lock it. Your friend can also touch the center screen and the car turns back on.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

In the US spec cars tapping on the main screen puts the car on (not able to drive). This happens even when the key is removed from the vehicle.

The 'correct' way to leave the car on is to shift it into neutral, then pull up the parking brake options screen and set the parking brake. The car will remain on when you exit the vehicle.

6. ekwng

ekwng Member

OIC... Thanks for the tip! :biggrin: