Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question! If I order now and it arrives at the end of December, is it considered 2018 or 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does not have model years. If you get it in 2018 it definitely is a 2018. Improvements are added throughout the year when they are ready to add (sometimes before they are ready). Software updates improve the car after purchase. It is closer to the computer/software world than automobile manufacturing.

Reactions: jboy210 and Joshker
Yep, they just build cars to whatever the current spec is at the time. There are no specific model year specs. Model X has been continually evolving since 2016, with many incremental changes along the way. The spec is actually quite well sorted now, although quality control still appears to be very patchy. But chances are you will get a great car!

Thanks guys for the answer! I ask this question because even though we all know the product is the same for right now if its delivered end of 2018 versus beginning of 2019, for future trade-in purposes , it will definitely be a difference , even more so I would believe then the 3500 tax credit that will chopped away.
So from what you guys know, is it on the manufactured date or delivery date since Tesla does not follow standard year categorization?

Thanks!

Thanks guys for the answer! I ask this question because even though we all know the product is the same for right now if its delivered end of 2018 versus beginning of 2019, for future trade-in purposes , it will definitely be a difference , even more so I would believe then the 3500 tax credit that will chopped away.
So from what you guys know, is it on the manufactured date or delivery date since Tesla does not follow standard year categorization?

Thanks!
As @DCGOO mentioned, you can determine it by the VIN. If it is built in December 2018 but not delivered until January 2019, it's still going to be a 2018 car.

as mentioned before, Tesla does not sell cars via model year. Basically any Tesla built in 2018 is a 2018 model, even if there are many variations of 2018 models. Thats why everyone always asks for a window sticker when u sell your car.