Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: If I trade in my M3 for a MY...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, I have had my model 3 since March 2019 but the model Y has been dancing around in the back of my mind since its announcement. I was wondering if I traded in my model 3 would my FSD be applied to the trade-in price? Or would they just give me the SR price and add FSD to the Y free of charge?

Basically do the additions you add after purchase make your car a higher value or would they just remove the feature and sell it plain jane?

Has anyone ever traded in a tesla for another one and what was the experience like?

I’m curious what kind of trade value Tesla would give for a Model 3 SR+ with less than 5,000 miles in it.

History says that your value drops a huge amount right away... but Tesla isn’t normal and with them having single digit amount of cars in the US right now, used cars probably are a certain resell almost immediately...

I’m curious what kind of trade value Tesla would give for a Model 3 SR+ with less than 5,000 miles in it.

History says that your value drops a huge amount right away... but Tesla isn’t normal and with them having single digit amount of cars in the US right now, used cars probably are a certain resell almost immediately...
you'll make more money from a private sale than you would a trade in. period.

Tesla is low but will match a Carvana or Carmax offer, I believe.

plug your info into Carvana and see what it says. My guess is $30,500-$34,000.

I was wondering if I traded in my model 3 would my FSD be applied to the trade-in price? Or would they just give me the SR price and add FSD to the Y free of charge?
I think neither.

FSD is a feature, and they depreciate just like any other feature.
I agree that FSD is unusual in that you pre-paid for most of it but you enjoyed some parts of it since purchase. That will carry a cost.

• Disagree
Reactions: PearlShark
The other fun piece will be if FSD appreciates in value. I bought it for $6K at time of purchase with the vehicle, will it be worth the $7K+ when I trade the car? I would hope so, it's HW3 and software so it shouldn't depreciate.

Carvana says $32,744 for my 2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD (white w/ 12K miles in Las Vegas). Not bad!

Attachments

• Quote.PNG
    Quote.PNG
    67.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SigNC
I don't think anybody knows whether Tesla will let you "keep" the "FSD" that you paid for but only got EAP. What you paid for is nothing about the car, but just a promise of future software. It would be just as easy for them to let you transfer that promise to the new car as for them to say that the promise applied to the car itself. This might be covered in the contract, so that if you sell the car the new owner would know if they're getting the FSD or not. If you trade the car back to Tesla this might be a point you could negotiate.

The other fun piece will be if FSD appreciates in value. I bought it for $6K at time of purchase with the vehicle, will it be worth the $7K+ when I trade the car? I would hope so, it's HW3 and software so it shouldn't depreciate.

This could depend in part on whether they succeed in delivering on the promise. The re-sell value of FSD will depend on what it can actually do at the time of sale and whether or not the buyer believes it will improve. If my car were to be totaled and I were in the market for a used one, I would not pay anything for the FSD package because I have no expectation that it will deliver on the promise. OTOH, if they crack the nut and the FSD-equipped car really can drive itself city and highway without a driver in it and they raise the price of it on new cars to $20K, then the FSD package will be worth more than you paid for it.

FSD is tied to your car, not you personally. If you sell your Model 3, FSD goes with it. The car will sell for more than a comparable Model 3 without FSD. How much more? Who knows. Certainly not more than $7K more, but most likely something less than that.

There is no reason to trade your Model 3 in to Tesla. You will get far more for it in a private trade, even after factoring in the extra sales tax you may have to pay if you live in one of those states that only taxes on the net amount.

Tesla has never offered to transfer any software upgrades from one vehicle to another. While anything is possible in the future, this is just highly speculative. I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: ZappCatt
you'll make more money from a private sale than you would a trade in. period.

Not always true, due to the way that different states handle sales tax. Many states, for example, only charge sales tax on the difference between trade-in value and the purchase price of the new car. This sales tax savings can make a difference in such states. In Texas, this translates to 6.25%. It's therefore worth selling privately in Texas only if one can get more than a 6.25% premium over trade-in, otherwise it's better to trade it in.

FSD is tied to your car, not you personally. If you sell your Model 3, FSD goes with it. The car will sell for more than a comparable Model 3 without FSD. How much more? Who knows. Certainly not more than $7K more, but most likely something less than that.

There is no reason to trade your Model 3 in to Tesla. You will get far more for it in a private trade, even after factoring in the extra sales tax you may have to pay if you live in one of those states that only taxes on the net amount.

Tesla has never offered to transfer any software upgrades from one vehicle to another. While anything is possible in the future, this is just highly speculative. I don’t see it happening.

This would be a great move if they ever did it. I would happily pay a premium price for "lifetime FSD" that moved from car to car as I traded in. I don't see it happening, though, because they make more money the way they're doing it now.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
This could depend in part on whether they succeed in delivering on the promise. The re-sell value of FSD will depend on what it can actually do at the time of sale and whether or not the buyer believes it will improve. If my car were to be totaled and I were in the market for a used one, I would not pay anything for the FSD package because I have no expectation that it will deliver on the promise. OTOH, if they crack the nut and the FSD-equipped car really can drive itself city and highway without a driver in it and they raise the price of it on new cars to $20K, then the FSD package will be worth more than you paid for it.

I don't want to turn this thread into a FSD discussion, I was just saying like you did that FSD would probably be at least the going rate and not less. I actually contacted my insurance to make sure FSD would be covered in case of an accident that totaled the car, it will be (Acuity is my insurance company) but I'm ass-uming it'd only be the $6k worth that I paid for it,not the going rate as of that future day.

I don't want to turn this thread into a FSD discussion, I was just saying like you did that FSD would probably be at least the going rate and not less. I actually contacted my insurance to make sure FSD would be covered in case of an accident that totaled the car, it will be (Acuity is my insurance company) but I'm ass-uming it'd only be the $6k worth that I paid for it,not the going rate as of that future day.

Like any "feature," the re-sell value will depend on the demand. The feature will be worth nothing to a buyer who does not like it or does not intend to use it. Again, regardless of the feature being discussed, its re-sell value will not necessarily be tied to the price paid for it. And when the "feature" is a promise of future software, its value becomes more nebulous. The buyer needs to believe in the promise to be willing to pay for it. In five years, the public perception of the value of the promise may change, causing the re-sell price to skyrocket or plummet.

FSD is a very unique feature as it relates to resale value, which makes it hard to predict. A used car buyer knows that every Model 3 is equipped with all of the hardware required for FSD (except possibly HW3 which is included in the price). So they know that if they buy a car without FSD they can always add it later. For that reason I think people will be looking to buy an FSD enabled car for much less than the current $7K ask price since they know they can always add it to any car down the road for the full $7K.

Of course if the price of FSD goes up in the future, that will positively impact the value of cars that have already purchased it.

Reactions: Matsayz
....is it silly of me to think that since FSD is NOT here yet, that any buying outside of Tesla will probably not pay for a "feature" they can't get until later. And that since it's simply software and I purchased it before the price increase, I should be able to factor in that price on re-sale or at the very least, add it to the Model Y at the same price? If anything I was only able to enjoy EAP features making purchasing FSD, again, kind of unfair.