Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: If I trade in my M3 for a MY...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carvana offered me $33,767 for my 2019 Model 3 SR+ WITHOUT FSD and 10k miles in Cincinnati. KBB for you came in higher than mine, but you got dinged on location.
I’m so confused by Tesla’s algorithm for Trade-Ins. I got a quote on my M3 LR RWD with 7k mi in Seattle for $37.5k but going off of yours I would’ve expected higher. I see yours was from carvana but I thought they’re estimates are typically lower.

I’m so confused by Tesla’s algorithm for Trade-Ins. I got a quote on my M3 LR RWD with 7k mi in Seattle for $37.5k but going off of yours I would’ve expected higher. I see yours was from carvana but I thought they’re estimates are typically lower.
Has to be market dependent as they’d offered 40.5K first week of the year for our 2018 MR Black/White, 19” Sport, EAP with 19K on it.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
If it was a recent quote, I’ve notice a bunch of performance, AWD long range and RWD long range cars showing up on their uses inventory for what seem like fantastic prices (mostly $41k to $45k) with like 20k miles or less. I think I saw a few Performance ones with less than 30k miles for like $43k! Of course everything sold within minutes... but maybe Tesla is trying to clear used inventory or make sure turn around (from trade in to resell) is just days to keep levels low?

If it was a recent quote, I’ve notice a bunch of performance, AWD long range and RWD long range cars showing up on their uses inventory for what seem like fantastic prices (mostly $41k to $45k) with like 20k miles or less. I think I saw a few Performance ones with less than 30k miles for like $43k! Of course everything sold within minutes... but maybe Tesla is trying to clear used inventory or make sure turn around (from trade in to resell) is just days to keep levels low?
TBH I don’t think they really juice their used market much. Not saying they lose money or just break even on used but they definitely price cars to sell.

The few Tesla 3 leases there are will be turned around as used inventory to keep things rolling and money changing hands.

TBH I don’t think they really juice their used market much. Not saying they lose money or just break even on used but they definitely price cars to sell.

The few Tesla 3 leases there are will be turned around as used inventory to keep things rolling and money changing hands.

I think Tesla used to shuffle cars to a few locations (Manheim Auto auctions?) for basic cleaning and posting of pictures and stuff... maybe now the local service centers are handling it initially as long as they can clear the inventory right away? I always thought it was crazy that Tesla used a 3rd party for any amount of work since those cars usually sold within 24 to 48 hours of showing up in their inventory, especially since most were low mileage (less than 20k) and probably in pretty good condition. Basically just need washed, photographed, and sold...

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think Tesla used to shuffle cars to a few locations (Manheim Auto auctions?) for basic cleaning and posting of pictures and stuff... maybe now the local service centers are handling it initially as long as they can clear the inventory right away? I always thought it was crazy that Tesla used a 3rd party for any amount of work since those cars usually sold within 24 to 48 hours of showing up in their inventory, especially since most were low mileage (less than 20k) and probably in pretty good condition. Basically just need washed, photographed, and sold...

Inventory, demo, and loaners are no better. I had to have my P3D+ detailed shortly after delivery. :p