Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: If I trade in my M3 for a MY...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not always true, due to the way that different states handle sales tax. Many states, for example, only charge sales tax on the difference between trade-in value and the purchase price of the new car. This sales tax savings can make a difference in such states. In Texas, this translates to 6.25%. It's therefore worth selling privately in Texas only if one can get more than a 6.25% premium over trade-in, otherwise it's better to trade it in.

You're really doing something wrong as a private seller if you can't beat 6.25% with a private sale over trade in. Car dealers don't offer 6.25% or less from what they will ask for the car.

I just private sold 2 Jaguar XFs, and the trade in values were $6K and $7K. I priced them cheap for quick sale and sold them on Craigslist ($5 listing fee per car), both in just 4 days of listing, for $10K and $11.5K. Dealers were asking closer to $15K for these cars.

ok, I have had my model 3 since March 2019 but the model Y has been dancing around in the back of my mind since its announcement. I was wondering if I traded in my model 3 would my FSD be applied to the trade-in price? Or would they just give me the SR price and add FSD to the Y free of charge?

Basically do the additions you add after purchase make your car a higher value or would they just remove the feature and sell it plain jane?

Has anyone ever traded in a tesla for another one and what was the experience like?

Your wish has been granted:

The other fun piece will be if FSD appreciates in value. I bought it for $6K at time of purchase with the vehicle, will it be worth the $7K+ when I trade the car? I would hope so, it's HW3 and software so it shouldn't depreciate.

Carvana says $32,744 for my 2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD (white w/ 12K miles in Las Vegas). Not bad!
Carvana offered me $33,767 for my 2019 Model 3 SR+ WITHOUT FSD and 10k miles in Cincinnati. KBB for you came in higher than mine, but you got dinged on location.

• Funny
Reactions: stonelance
Carvana offered me $33,767 for my 2019 Model 3 SR+ WITHOUT FSD and 10k miles in Cincinnati. KBB for you came in higher than mine, but you got dinged on location.

yeah Vegas is not where I’d sell the car anyway. Plus I purchased it in Colorado so I’m getting $5K back when we file taxes in a few weeks. It was a no brainer to buy the car.

EAP yes, FSD no.

It’s truly telling when the reseller market understands that FSD is not yet realized when it’s the end user that it’s actually relevant to.

How often does one actually see paid value returned when selling software? Consider yourself lucky if you get half of your initial investment if you must sell otherwise keep it until FSD sees a proper divergence from EAP.

EAP yes, FSD no.

It’s truly telling when the reseller market understands that FSD is not yet realized when it’s the end user that it’s actually relevant to.

How often does one actually see paid value returned when selling software? Consider yourself lucky if you get half of your initial investment if you must sell otherwise keep it until FSD sees a proper divergence from EAP.

True but do you think the same would be true for trading-in to the same people who sold you the software? I mean they know they got full payment for something not even fully realized. Why wouldn't they just add it to the new vehicle and remove it from the old? I don't see them losing money by being fair. IMHO

....is it silly of me to think that since FSD is NOT here yet, that any buying outside of Tesla will probably not pay for a "feature" they can't get until later. And that since it's simply software and I purchased it before the price increase, I should be able to factor in that price on re-sale or at the very least, add it to the Model Y at the same price? If anything I was only able to enjoy EAP features making purchasing FSD, again, kind of unfair.

In a way it's unfair. In a way it was a bit of a gamble that you took. If Tesla had cracked the nut, issued software that made the car truly 100% autonomous, and raised the price of FSD to $20K, you'd probably have been able to sell the car for more than you paid. Or you'd have had an autonomous car at a big discount. If they are unable to make it happen during the life of the car, you've just bought a very expensive lottery ticket that didn't win.

Selling to Cavana or Tesla is probably a lot easier than private sales.

Very much so, that’s part of the reason people do it is because they don’t want to deal with all the no-shows and tire kickers who then low ball you. Also, Tesla gave me $16K sight unseen for my 2013 Golf R w/ 68,000miles and modded. I was expecting closer to $10K and private party would’ve been very annoying.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Nearly two decades ago I sold a car to a friend of a friend. I had owned it for fifteen years and never had a single problem. The morning after she bought it it would not start. Then there was a string of problems. I decided I'd never again sell a car to a friend, and I'd be strongly disinclined to sell a car to an individual. Since then I've sold three cars and only to dealers. I get less money for them but I'm not faced with unhappy buyers. The Prius was 14 years old when I sold it and the MFD was just starting to act flakey. I told the used-car dealer all about it and as a result got even less for it, but whatever happened after that, nobody can come to me with complaints or accusations. I did try to sell the Roadster privately (it was in excellent condition) because of the outrageously low offer I got from CarMax, but in the end it was a dealer who bought it (for much less than I thought it was worth).

It's a reasonable assumption that you'll get more for any car from a private sale than a trade-in. But if anything goes wrong with it a dealer is not going to come back and complain at you.

Attachments

• B0334427-83FF-469F-995C-857CC425F59E.png
    B0334427-83FF-469F-995C-857CC425F59E.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 67