Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Question) Import Tesla Model 3 - USA to CAN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - I recently imported my M3 into Toronto, Canada from California, USA. I completed the RIV Inspection (Form 2) and will soon go for the Safety Standards Certificate.

My question - I paid the full HST (13%) with the Canada Border Services Agency in Ontario. HST as you know is GST (5%) + PST (8%). I noticed on the Service Ontario site that "retail sales tax for the sale of the vehicle will be collected when you register". Does that mean I need to pay another 8% tax or does it cancel out as I already paid?

Thanks.

Hey all - I recently imported my M3 into Toronto, Canada from California, USA. I completed the RIV Inspection (Form 2) and will soon go for the Safety Standards Certificate.

My question - I paid the full HST (13%) with the Canada Border Services Agency in Ontario. HST as you know is GST (5%) + PST (8%). I noticed on the Service Ontario site that "retail sales tax for the sale of the vehicle will be collected when you register". Does that mean I need to pay another 8% tax or does it cancel out as I already paid?

Thanks.
Hi, I am thinking of importing a car for the states. What are the procedures?

Thanks.
@robingunningh: Just curious what document you need to prepare before going through the Canada border/custom? I'm planning to move from Washington to Vancouver, BC as well. Also, will Tesla Canada help to made the modification (e.g. DRL, French supplementary restraint system label for airbags, etc.) and at what cost?

Thanks

In May 2021 I imported a 2017 Model X and a 2018 Model 3 from California to BC. I used this company to prepare the paperwork for me Import Auto to the United States, Import Auto to Canada That cost me $150 per vehicle. I thought that was worth it. They also answered the many questions I had about the process, as it was a bit confusing.

You will owe 5% GST when importing with Canada Customs and when you plate & register with BC you will pay their provincial sales tax at that time.

I was not required to make any modifications to my cars to pass the inspections except I had to remove the side window tinting I had done in California. BC does not allow any window tinting (some other Canadian provinces do allow aftermarket tinting).

Reactions: Vawlkus
In May 2021 I imported a 2017 Model X and a 2018 Model 3 from California to BC. I used this company to prepare the paperwork for me Import Auto to the United States, Import Auto to Canada That cost me $150 per vehicle. I thought that was worth it. They also answered the many questions I had about the process, as it was a bit confusing.

You will owe 5% GST when importing with Canada Customs and when you plate & register with BC you will pay their provincial sales tax at that time.

I was not required to make any modifications to my cars to pass the inspections except I had to remove the side window tinting I had done in California. BC does not allow any window tinting (some other Canadian provinces do allow aftermarket tinting).

Thanks. This is good resource.
I'm consider new resident to BC, and therefore I can actually skip the PST AFAIK.
@ecarfan : I read from other forum about playing $100 to Tesla Canada for some kind of SW update. Did you have that done? Also, just curious if warranty if honored in Canada as well, plus all the data connectivity and supercharger?

Thanks

@ecarfan : I read from other forum about playing $100 to Tesla Canada for some kind of SW update. Did you have that done? Also, just curious if warranty if honored in Canada as well, plus all the data connectivity and supercharger?
I did not pay Tesla to do anything to my cars to make them acceptable for importation into BC. Change the display units to metric, set your DRLs to always on, and you should be good.

I have not had to make a warranty service request since moving here but it would shock me if Tesla Canada did not honor the warranty on my cars. I did have a repair made to my X but it was not a warranty repair.

My X has free Supercharging and that remains the case in BC. Both my cars continue to have connectivity; maps, streaming, firmware updates continue to work.

And my spouse just informed me that we did not have to pay PST when we registered our cars. My mistake, sorry. See this document https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-308-vehicles.pdf

QUOTE: “If you are a new resident to BC and you bring a vehicle into BC on or after February 19, 2014 solely for non-business use, the vehicle
is exempt from PST if: the vehicle arrives in BC within one year of you becoming a resident of the province, and you owned the vehicle for at least 30 days before you became a resident of BC.”

Reactions: Vawlkus