Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Improved Efficiency Range Updates - Model 3 LR (not AWD)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any information about the increased range for the 3 LR (non AWD)? Is the range of the 3 LR AWD now higher than 3 LR?

What are you comparing? The NEW announced refreshed Model 3 that is only LR with the AWD now and the older LR RWD? I think the refresh has many new "hardware evolved" changes that have allowed the new 353 for the LR AWD. You really can't compare and older LR RWD to the new refreshed Model 3s about to come.

Comparing LR AWD now and the older LR RWD - curious if the increased range will now result in the AWD version having an increased range compared to the older, no longer offered, LR RWD.

If you mean for Model year 2021 that has not quite been delivered yet, the EPA estimates for a model 3 AWD are 353, so yes, that car will have a higher ESTIMATED epa range than a no longer available LR Rear Wheel Drive tesla model 3.

If you mean, will existing model 3s get a range boost in an OTA update, we dont know. Model Ys are getting some "efficiency" update (the one you mentioned) but, asking again, has any model 3 gotten this update you are mentioning with release notes talking about more range?

I "suspect" but am just guessing, that you are asking whether existing owners (not new 2021s) will now have their LR AWD cars have more range than a LR RWD, and like I said, we dont know. We dont have heat pumps in existing model 3s, and do not know entirely where this range boost for 2021s is coming from.

The best thing to do is "expect your range to stay the same as it is now, and be pleasantly surprised if it somehow changes in an OTA update.