Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Model S Motor Sounds S85 RWD vs. 90D AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just replaced my totaled 2013 S85 with a pristine 2015 90D CPO. Enjoying all the newer features on the 2015 that I didn't have before, but also noticing more motor whine. This may make sense given two motors, but seems proportionally louder to me (subtle sound like a jet engine throttling up and down with acceleration and deceleration). I had the drive unit replaced twice in my S85, so was pretty well calibrated on the various sounds it would make, none of which are like the 2015. Anyone have any experience transitioning from a RWD to AWD and, if so, what was your impression of the difference in motor sounds between the two?

Side question 2: Trying to get used to the 21" wheels on the 2015 (on coil suspension), but think I prefer the smoother ride I was getting with the 19" wheels on my 2013 (also on coil suspension). Do the 21s grow on you, or am I destined to switch to the 19s?

Side question 3: Have read a bit here that the 90D first gen "A" battery had some issues. Car is now 3 years old, but only has 13,000 miles, so didn't see many charging cycles, nor did it get used much (good and bad). The 90% charge is 245 miles, which seems similar to what some others have reported, and Tesla reported that the 100% charge was 272 miles. I have not yet done a full discharge/recharge cycle myself to re-calibrate range, but if it doesn't change would this be considered par for the 90D?

Thanks all in advance!

#1perfectly normal ..It seemed odd years ago when I went P85+ to P85D #2 always rode on 21s the 19s never seemed proportional for such a large car #3 post up pic of battery code can see what version u have V1-3?

0343C3DC-C232-4E7C-8B6C-27C1445AB402.jpeg
post up pic of battery code can see what version u have V1-3?

Ah yes, should have said V1 instead of A for the 90D pack

Reactions: P85_DA
See the Tesla Manual for the correct tire pressures ... only the RWD Performance Plus Suspension recommends 38/40. :cool:

View attachment 310366

Thanks to this post from @FlatSix911 (and a few others in that thread), I discovered one potential reason for the hard ride in my new 2015 90D . . . the tires had been inflated to 62psi (vs. the 42psi recommended for 21" tires)! Any reason Tesla would deliver a CPO car with 62psi tire pressure?

I've now deflated to 45psi (same pressure that I ran my 19" Michelins on the older S85), so maybe that will help soften the ride a bit..??..

Reactions: P85_DA