Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Model Y Accident Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I recently took delivery of a Model Y Long Range with the 7 seat option. I drive 80 miles a day and overall love the car. Having two little ones now overall safety of a vehicle comes into play. We had a 17 Mercedes GLE as the family car but the Model Y replaced it. Both our kids are in car seats and the 3rd will come into play a handful of times a year (all ready used it once). So that is great to have. A friend of a friend recently crashed their model 3 into a ditch recently and supposedly the battery of the car died. Supposedly there was no way to open the Model 3 from the outside because the battery was dead. So now my wife is worried about a similar situation with the Model Y.

So my question is does anyone know if there is a way/easy way to get into the Model Y from the outside if we did get into an accident and we could not open the doors from the inside? I know about the manual releases from the inside out but the problem/question is getting people out of the back in case of an emergency.

Thank you!

same as any car. side/rear glass is designed to break into tiny pieces that won't slice you. Small sharp object.

That is no longer true for the front door windows in the Tesla Model Y. The front windows now use laminated glass, same as the windshield. To break through laminated glass requires a different tool, i.e. a small fireman's axe to smash through the glass layer and the middle plastic layer and pull out the window through the opening.

@jcanoe @SabrToothSqrl Thanks for the responses. I guess it is really no different from a ICE car. If that gets into an accident and it knocks the battery loose you would have the same issue. I guess I never heard of this issue before and it just so happened that they were in a Model 3.

Any other feedback would be appreciated....

That is no longer true for the front door windows in the Tesla Model Y. The front windows now use laminated glass, same as the windshield. To break through laminated glass requires a different tool, i.e. a small fireman's axe to smash through the glass layer and the middle plastic layer and pull out the window through the opening.
I did not know that, is it in the manual or any vids? thanks

I did not know that, is it in the manual or any vids? thanks
Tesla added the laminated glass to the front door windows ~Sept 2020. If you search for Tesla Model Y laminated windows you should find some articles. (If you look closely at the driver's window of the Model Y, if the Model Y has the laminated glass, you can clearly see three layers Glass|Plastic|Glass.)