TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Question on adding an HEPA filter to a MX without PUP

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BlueBird, Jul 25, 2018.

1. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

I have a December 2017 MX without PUP and is looking at adding a “Topfit Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon” HEPA filter to reduce the amount of dust getting in the car. I just wanted to know if the car already comes with the plastic part holding the filter. I did not open the Frunk to check but wanted to make sure I did not need any additional parts. Topfit page talks about "Replacement filter" but some YouTubes showing the install of Tesla's filter appears to show that the plastic holder is present and empty.

2. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

In my 2016 MX, I replaced the empty plastic frame with the frame containing the HEPA filter from Tesla. The plastic frame should be there already.

3. bFlat

bFlat Member

Yes, you have the filter shroud already in place. Be sure the put the filter in with the direction arrow pointing to the shroud. Also, push the filter all the way in where all four sides touch the inner frame. The bottom of the filter will look like it's pushed in further than the top but that is by design so it leaves enough gap for air to flow up and in.

4. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

Great and many thanks for your replies! I hope this will help reduce the dust getting inside the car. During summer, I almost have to clean the car’s interior every second week.

5. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Just looked up the “top fit” cabin air filter on Amazon. It lists filter just for Model S. Does the same filter work in the Model X? Thanks

6. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

You should be able to buy the OEM Tesla HEPA filter from the parts department (give them the part number, don't ask for the filter on its own). A lot of us bought the filter that way.

7. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

8. ek993

ek993 Member

They won’t sell the part to non PUP cars anymore - they told me they used to offer it but it’s a new directive from Corporate. Asked for just the filter, never mentioned bioweapon even once.

Tried my OA, DS and even going to parts dept counter - all said the same thing.

9. bayx

bayx Member

Sounds like another missed opportunity for a company that really needs to start making at least some profit!

10. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

As @Yinn referenced, there is a 3rd party option to get the same results.

11. K3Man

K3Man Member

Dunno. Before the PUP change recently where it became standard, it made perfect sense for them to not do these sales. My guess with their thinking was that if you wanted that part (and consequently the HEPA filter), you paid for the PUP-grade.

As for now though, not sure. I guess things are still the same. Those that don't have the PUP got the $$ discount when they passed it up. Does Tesla even offer an after-sale PUP-grade anymore? (I'm too lazy at the moment to search to answer this myself. :p;)).

12. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

No they dont.

HEPA filter = $175 in Revenue. Minus cost of part, shipping, etc = ? profit.

While a HEPA filter alone might not make you want a new X, when you start thinking well I want the towing package too, maybe subzero, maybe it would be nice to get AP3.0, and maybe I didn't upgrade to FSD and should have. That alone would be X thousands and I can't even get some of it. How much would it cost to upgrade to a new X? = ? profit.

13. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

14. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I'll see if I can dig it up, but yes there is. There's also a thread with very detailed pictures on here somewherel.

15. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

16. Terthen

Terthen Member

Man that sucks. This happened to me before as well in 10/2017, the guy said "we all got a memo that said we can't sell the filter for non PUP cars". I called again in 1/2018 and the Parts department sold the filter to me. I would definitely go 3rd party though at this point because the filter frame is already there so it's just popping in a good high efficiency filter. Then in a few months try again hoping they've forgotten :)?

17. Oppajer

Oppajer Member

I just had the HEPA filter installed on my July build non pup 75D last week at my local service center. Sent an email to order the filter, the advisors asked me for my vin, ordered the part and offered to install it. Total cost came out to be $260 after taxes.

18. ek993

ek993 Member

Fantastic that there is so much consistency in the messaging throughout the Tesla network!

19. bayx

bayx Member

Would you be able to share which state if within the US? Thx

20. Oppajer

Oppajer Member

I'm located in northern CA