Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on adding an HEPA filter to a MX without PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a December 2017 MX without PUP and is looking at adding a “Topfit Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon” HEPA filter to reduce the amount of dust getting in the car. I just wanted to know if the car already comes with the plastic part holding the filter. I did not open the Frunk to check but wanted to make sure I did not need any additional parts. Topfit page talks about "Replacement filter" but some YouTubes showing the install of Tesla's filter appears to show that the plastic holder is present and empty.

I have a December 2017 MX without PUP and is looking at adding a “Topfit Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon” HEPA filter to reduce the amount of dust getting in the car. I just wanted to know if the car already comes with the plastic part holding the filter. I did not open the Frunk to check but wanted to make sure I did not need any additional parts. Topfit page talks about "Replacement filter" but some YouTubes showing the install of Tesla's filter appears to show that the plastic holder is present and empty.

Yes, you have the filter shroud already in place. Be sure the put the filter in with the direction arrow pointing to the shroud. Also, push the filter all the way in where all four sides touch the inner frame. The bottom of the filter will look like it's pushed in further than the top but that is by design so it leaves enough gap for air to flow up and in.

They won’t sell the part to non PUP cars anymore - they told me they used to offer it but it’s a new directive from Corporate. Asked for just the filter, never mentioned bioweapon even once.

Tried my OA, DS and even going to parts dept counter - all said the same thing.

They won’t sell the part to non PUP cars anymore - they told me they used to offer it but it’s a new directive from Corporate. Asked for just the filter, never mentioned bioweapon even once.

Sounds like another missed opportunity for a company that really needs to start making at least some profit!

Dunno. Before the PUP change recently where it became standard, it made perfect sense for them to not do these sales. My guess with their thinking was that if you wanted that part (and consequently the HEPA filter), you paid for the PUP-grade.

As for now though, not sure. I guess things are still the same. Those that don't have the PUP got the $$ discount when they passed it up. Does Tesla even offer an after-sale PUP-grade anymore? (I'm too lazy at the moment to search to answer this myself. :p;)).

Sounds like another missed opportunity for a company that really needs to start making at least some profit!

Dunno. Before the PUP change recently where it became standard, it made perfect sense for them to not do these sales. My guess with their thinking was that if you wanted that part (and consequently the HEPA filter), you paid for the PUP-grade.

As for now though, not sure. I guess things are still the same. Those that don't have the PUP got the $$ discount when they passed it up. Does Tesla even offer an after-sale PUP-grade anymore? (I'm too lazy at the moment to search to answer this myself. :p;)).

No they dont.

HEPA filter = $175 in Revenue. Minus cost of part, shipping, etc = ? profit.

While a HEPA filter alone might not make you want a new X, when you start thinking well I want the towing package too, maybe subzero, maybe it would be nice to get AP3.0, and maybe I didn't upgrade to FSD and should have. That alone would be X thousands and I can't even get some of it. How much would it cost to upgrade to a new X? = ? profit.

Man that sucks. This happened to me before as well in 10/2017, the guy said "we all got a memo that said we can't sell the filter for non PUP cars". I called again in 1/2018 and the Parts department sold the filter to me. I would definitely go 3rd party though at this point because the filter frame is already there so it's just popping in a good high efficiency filter. Then in a few months try again hoping they've forgotten :)?

I just had the HEPA filter installed on my July build non pup 75D last week at my local service center. Sent an email to order the filter, the advisors asked me for my vin, ordered the part and offered to install it. Total cost came out to be $260 after taxes.
Fantastic that there is so much consistency in the messaging throughout the Tesla network!