TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Question on apply HOV sticker in SoCal

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by brianmeow, Aug 20, 2018.

1. brianmeow

brianmeow Member

Got my Model 3 almost 3 week ago and Tesla delivery center told me i will be getting the registration in a few weeks but they didn't mention anything about HOV lane sticker. Do i need to apply for it on my own after i got my license plate? And how long does it take? Thanks in advance.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Be nice. :) Sounds like first time EV owner, first Tesla for sure. My first Volt came with a sticker, second one, the dealer just handled it and I came in later to get them.

• Like x 1
  4. hapa_toast

hapa_toast Member

Yes, basically fill out that application then wait like 2 months for processing.

The great thing about writing an archaic physical check is you know around when your stickers are being sent out once you see the check being cashed.

During your wait go order some 3M paint protection film off Amazon for like $20 so you can apply the stickers using this technique that will not destroy your bumper paint:

Mount your stickers so they're visible - do not keep them in your glovebox "just in case" you get pulled over as that's still a big fat fine.

5. brianmeow

brianmeow Member

Thank you very much, was thinking about getting those 3M film. Any brand you would recommend?
    Ya first time EV owner, trying to figure everything out and installing NEMA 14-50 this week.

• Like x 1
  6. boriszima

boriszima Member

7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Yes absolutely makes it easier to steal. Just rip the film off.

I’d be more worried about the rear quarter panel windows than the HOV sticker.

8. 40milecommuter

Wait until the Jan 1 to apply for your stickers and you will get an extra year out of them!

9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

People gambling the sticker will still be red and they can get an extra 4 months applying now and keep it on till 2023.

10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yes Red it will be. Haha

11. brianmeow

brianmeow Member

i thou it's not clear what will happen after 1/1/19. what if there's no sticker at all?

12. brianmeow

brianmeow Member

i'd do anything for a blue sticker lol

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Carbon fiber sticker.. :D

14. brianmeow

brianmeow Member

15. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Then your car will look better than mine

16. hapa_toast

hapa_toast Member

Yes, the 48" should be enough for all 4 stickers. You don't really need the tools but they may come in handy with other projects you want to pursue ie. chrome delete or any other vinyl applications

17. Sneakerhead

Sneakerhead Member

Well check cashed 8/24/18 with no license plate number. Got my stickers today at 8/27/18. Placed on a ppf. Now gotta wait until tomorrow to pick up my car. I think I will just add the large one on the right rear side. Nothing more.

Attached Files:

18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I want to apply for these but I don't want to apply them to my car. Why can't CA come up with another method for the HOV lane?

19. David3

David3 Member

You can send in the form with blank license plate, it just needs to be in their system. I think it's pretty safe to send in the form a week after taking delivery of the car. Took about a month for the stickers to arrive.