TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question on Charge Port Locking behavior - anyone notice recent changes?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Babylonfive, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

#1 Babylonfive, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    I have noticed a change in charge port lock (locking pin) operation from my recent experiences, and wondered:

a) did anyone else notice ?
    b) if anyone with 4.4 or even older software could check a few of these operations for me to validate my concerns

The previous experience I had (especially around the design of the CapturePro device) with charge port lock operation was the following:

interior charge-port button stop J1772 charger press J1772 handle button
    owner in range unlock unlock unlock
    owner out of range stay locked stay locked stay locked
    What I'm seeing now with my V4.5 Model S:

interior charge-port button stop J1772 charger press J1772 handle button
    owner in range stay locked stay locked unlock
    owner out of range stay locked stay locked stay locked

Has anyone else noticed this, or can they add any data to the operation of their car with older SW rev?

If this change is validated to be true and no other method exists to unlock the charge port except the J1772 button, then the CapturePro device is rendered unusable (at least until or if SW update might make the lock policy different) -- the reason can be explained in more detail in the other more appropriate thread, but I wanted to alert drivers of the more general issue of this change.

Feedback would be appreciated here. :crying:

David Smith

2. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Bump... nobody? Thoughts?

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Sorry, I don't use J1772 charging. Maybe not a lot of people here do?

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I put my thoughts on your thread in the "Parts for Sale" section; I think your concept got killed by the v4.5 software.

5. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW I am on v.4.4 and the only way I can unlock with the CapturePro on tight (as designed) is to end charging at the ChargePoint station, then go to the touchscreen Controls and hit the charge port button (even though it shows the open port). This unlocks the adapter and I can remove the adapter, then pull off the CapturePro and disconnect the adapter. Indeed if I 'improperly' used too big a slot on the CapturePro to allow the button to be pushed on the charger handle, charging would stop and then you might in fact be able to disconnect the whole setup.

6. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

I see no difference with v4.5 and prior version behavior .
    with 4.2 (?) I returned to my car and had to hunt down ( for 5 minutes) where someone put my J1772 adapter.

David Smith

7. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Are you guys both named David Smith? Confusing.

I still could use a CapturePro, considering there's no alternative. You say that the problem only occurs if it is incorrectly placed, isn't there a way to make it very clear how not to do it? Or how about some kind of secret manual release which only CapturePro owners would know how to do? That's still useful in 90+% of cases.

8. tezco

tezco Sig P85

My car behaves differently. J1772 can be removed regardless of whether you have the fob or not. But as to whether the car can recognize the owner???

9. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

Not really that confusing. I am I and he is he.

Also I have Sun, Sand and palm trees in Hawaii.
    He has Sun, Sand and (not much else:wink:) in Texas

10. Rowlock

Rowlock Member

I just did some testing of this. My firmware version is 4.5 build number 1.33.44. With the fob in range, my behavior is the same on all of Blink, Chargepoint, Clipper Creek 30A and Eaton 30A stations:

Stop charging from the touch screen - stays locked.

Stop charging from the EVSE - stays locked.

Press Charge Port button on the touch screen - unlocks as previously with an audible click, adapter can be removed without using the handle button.

Maybe this will change in a future update, but for now I would still be able to safely use the charging lock equipment. What is the build number you've seen with the new locking behavior?