Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Charging Cost/Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new Model S pricing for charging, in order to get the faster 58miles/hour charge: It costs $2000 (Dual charger) plus $750 (HPWC) or $2750 to set up higher speed AC charging. Or about $450 for the CHAdeMO high speed DC charging. Is that correct? Advantage would be the HPWC can be at your own home, and assuming there are CHAdeMO chargers in your area.

And assuming that the CHAdeMO chargers work (i.e., aren't blinked). And assuming that the CHAdeMO chargers aren't excessively priced (again, blink).
I think a big part of the wonderful experience of having an EV is that in normal driving you never have to think about charging. It's simply "full" every morning.
Question: why do you need the faster charge, anyway? Isn't your car sitting in the garage for about 8h each night? Then the default single charger will be more than sufficient to keep you topped up.

1. The $450 is for the adaptor, to get a CHAdeMO installation figure about $15,000 plus installation--assuming you can even get it installed at your house.

2. While twin chargers are a nice-to-have, and when you need one on a trip you'll be very glad you have them, for home charging it's not necessary as the HPWC can be set to 40 amps. Note that if you go for 80 amps you'll need a 100 amp circuit breaker which, in many houses, means a serious panel upgrade and perhaps a service upgrade as well. Now that they are no longer a high priced add-on, you can get one installed anytime before a trip where you need it. (Be sure to order well in advance in case the Service Centre is busy)

3. A NEMA 14-50 works too and almost never requires an upgrade to your electrical panel or service.

The HPWC is in your garage, the ultimate in convenience. And dual chargers could help you on the road sometimes. Two benefits in one.Our house frequently operates on a last minute rush basis, so we regularly need to charge the car quickly. When I think back to times we were rushed, yeah, we need the faster charging at home. What's your typical schedule looks like?40amp is fine for most at home but know 26mph or whatever it is is the max.I will say, dual charger or not, it is nice to have the HPWC hardwired in and it looks very cool in the garage. It "feels" like the proper setup fitting of the car....