Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on charging with Nema 6-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... yeah... I'd be changing that breaker to a 40 amp for sure. It also looks like the white/black wires hanging off that 70 breaker is not more than 8 gauge, so even 40 is at the limit. It looks to me that the white and black wires are actually going into a black NMB jacket, too. This isn't disallowed, but if they were THHN wires headed into conduit they could do 50 amps. In theory that white wire should also have a red electrical tape 'ring' near each end to let people know its not really neutral, although any electrician shouldn't really need it.

Wow thanks all for the thoughtful advice. I think after reading everything it may be smart of me to spend extra $400 for a peace of mind after spending 60k on a car and be safe than sorry. Thanks again everyone

Do yourself a favor... park your Telsa around the corner, tell the electrician you are concerned that the outlet for your WELDER may have been installed by a doofus, and I bet you save $200 or better. Welcome to the Tesla Tax!

Chances are that everything is connected fine and will work fine as others have said. But anyone who could connect 6 or 8 gauge Romex to a 70A breaker is a F'n moron. You'd be wise to have an electrician clean things up because there may be worse problems in the chain than what you or I are aware of.

That said, your $400 quote is bogus too. TF is with electricians in your town? I'd advise you to get a couple more quotes, just tell them you think the breaker is wrong and want it all checked out.

Did you buy the house? Inspection should have flagged an unpermitted 50A outlet as that's pretty much the first thing they look for. And who wouldn't have flagged a 70A breaker? I never even knew there was such a thing. Damn thing's even bright yellow as if it's shouting "flag me!!"

If you're the DIY type you can look closely to read the wire gauge and swap out the breaker with a 40-50A from Lowes for $10. Then email the city and tell them you wired it yourself and want to get it permitted. For <$100 they'll send an inspector who is more knowledgeable than most electricians and you'll get your money back 10X when you sell without red flags.

You should go ahead and pull the cover off the outlet and take some pics of the wiring way that end, too. you want to check for signs of excessive heat. Also check that the wires are terminated snugly, and that the insulation is not being clamped in the lugs on the outlet.