Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question on ev in general but tesla specific> wi/fi-(rf) danger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time i ride in my gf model s i often get headaches.She drives pretty conservative but when she accelerates its a strange feeling of g force compared to my sports car. I cant really explain it. Maybe its the outgassing new car smell? But it feels strange. I also wonder since its all battery and its a d model and wifi enabled if there is any rf issue to health?? Like all the wi-fi in the car and the batteries you sit on all the time? Just curious. I can tell its an electric motor acceleration type from front and rear from the way it takes off but for me it still feels odd and somewhat nauseous. Or least t makes me feel this way when driving in the car.

The RF is a non-issue. There's no effect there. The new-car smell definitely makes some folks nauseated (including me). Also, if you are subject to getting carsick, your GF's driving style may affect you. My mother always drove gas, brake, gas, brake... etc. Never just a steady speed, and I always got sick in the car with her driving. Much less so when my sister drove, as she was much more steady.

The Model S has a lot of torque, and you might be unused to that much acceleration, but if your GF drives steadily that's probably not the issue. I think the new-car smell would be the most likely, but I've only been in a Model S three times, and I don't think any of those were new enough to still have the smell, so I don't actually know if the Model S has it. But I get sick immediately upon getting in a new car.

Every time i ride in my gf model s i often get headaches.She drives pretty conservative but when she accelerates its a strange feeling of g force compared to my sports car.

Do you drive your sports car yourself? The perception of g forces when you drive and can anticipate things is different to when someone else drive. It also doesn't help that you can't hear the engine as much.

The high g-forces of a Model S do make some people a bit queasy - my dad included. We haven't been able to find a realistic solution for that. Zofran maybe?

Reactions: Algbc
medical authorities gave Segerbäck an EMF-resistant suit like the ones worn by engineers working in close proximity to live telecom towers and high-voltage power lines.

if its psycho samatic or whatever why do engineers working on towers need emf resistent garb?

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
Every time i ride in my gf model s i often get headaches.She drives pretty conservative but when she accelerates its a strange feeling of g force compared to my sports car. I cant really explain it. Maybe its the outgassing new car smell? But it feels strange. I also wonder since its all battery and its a d model and wifi enabled if there is any rf issue to health?? Like all the wi-fi in the car and the batteries you sit on all the time? Just curious. I can tell its an electric motor acceleration type from front and rear from the way it takes off but for me it still feels odd and somewhat nauseous. Or least t makes me feel this way when driving in the car.
You are kidding, right? You don't stop to think that if there was a health problem that Tesla would still have built nearly 200,000 cars and shipped them all over the world? I think you can answer this question yourself.

You are kidding, right? You don't stop to think that if there was a health problem that Tesla would still have built nearly 200,000 cars and shipped them all over the world? I think you can answer this question yourself.

The above is not really a valid argument. A Tesla booster like me will have confidence in Tesla not to build a harmful car, but a Tesla hater will be convinced that of course Tesla would harm us to make money.

The valid argument comes from solid evidence: The claim that Wi-Fi, RF radiation, or other non-ionizing radiation is harmful has been clearly rejected by a very large number of studies clearly showing this not to be the case. Non-ionizing radiation does only two things to people and other animals: it generates heat, and in the visual range it stimulates the optic nerve. That's why a microwave oven works: It heats the food. If the flux is extremely high, it can cause burns, just like putting your hand in a fire or touching a very hot surface. When the flux is lower (as is the case with all normal situations) the heating is too little to be noticeable or even measurable. Like putting your hand in lukewarm water: It feels pleasantly warm but does no damage.

We are surrounded by RF energy all the time. It is absolutely harmless until you get close enough to a high-enough-power transmitter for it to cause burns.

Reactions: Pezpunk
Back to the OP's concerns, outgassing may indeed be a problem (with all new cars). There's also the fact that an EV (in particular a Tesla) has a different feel when it's accelerating (lots of torque from zero speed, and no gear shifting, for instance). Others have addressed the concerns about physiological effects of RF radiation so I won't rehash them.

OP, does your gf let you drive? How do you feel if you're the one behind the wheel?

Bruce.

I find that the acceleration of an EV is smoother and therefore less sickening than than of a stinker. I think the driving style is a bigger issue: Some folks are constantly accelerating or braking and that makes me carsick much more than a driver who maintains a steady speed. A driver who's not used to regen might have a harder time maintaining a steady speed. I do find it harder in my Tesla than in my Prius to maintain a steady speed. The Prius has some regen, but very little, compared to the Tesla. But the new car smell, as I and others have already said, seems to me the more likely culprit.