Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on extremely high energy usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new Tesla driver, I'm hoping someone can help me understand energy usage over 900 wh (off the graph actually). I just happened to look at the energy graph and noticed the last few miles showed very high usage. All I was doing is driving slowly around a parking lot and practicing backing up with the cameras. I drove around my neighborhood and it slowly came back down. Anyway, I will include some pictures and any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 119
Well, considering the car shows the temp is 104°F, I imagine that you were driving around so slowly that climate control accounted for a significant amount of your consumption.

The longer it takes you to drive a mile, the more energy the climate control is going to use over the course of that mile, and the higher your Wh/mi will be.

The instant range was really short (like 80 miles). Big Earl, that is what I was thinking/hoping. I had air on cold and nit putting any real miles on. I just could not make sense of the high usage spanning 2 miles. At most I drove a 1/2 mile in the parking lot.

If it’s been off the charger for awhile it’s not uncommon to see very high wh/mi during the first few miles especially if you have AC or heat on. Winter months are the worst since the car aggressively heats the motors so you get consistent regen even in cold weather.

As a new Tesla driver, I'm hoping someone can help me understand energy usage over 900 wh (off the graph actually). I just happened to look at the energy graph and noticed the last few miles showed very high usage. All I was doing is driving slowly around a parking lot and practicing backing up with the cameras. I drove around my neighborhood and it slowly came back down. Anyway, I will include some pictures and any feedback is appreciated.
Good grief did you have an elephant in the trunk?

Joking aside, as others have noted, your A/C was probably working hard, and at such slow speeds (when it takes a LONG time to drive 1 mile) your energy use *per mile* will be crazy high. Put another way, technically when you are stopped, your energy use per mile is infinite even if all you have on are the interior lights (though of course the car is smart enough not to show it this way).

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Hello, was this problem ever solved?
I'm also currently having similar issue with the energy consumption going over 900 and I was only just driving in the parking lot with chill mode. Thanks for advice in advance!

You can’t base energy consumption on a short trip like a drive through a parking lot. Short trips, especially ones that involve a warm-up of the cabin from cold, or a cool-down of the cabin from hot, will have a large amount of energy going to the HVAC.

Take a 50 mile drive and get back to us.

Reactions: calidreamz808
You can’t base energy consumption on a short trip like a drive through a parking lot. Short trips, especially ones that involve a warm-up of the cabin from cold, or a cool-down of the cabin from hot, will have a large amount of energy going to the HVAC.

Take a 50 mile drive and get back to us.
Thank you for your response, this been happening for the past 1-2 months. I drive the car everyday to work and on average about 65miles per day just to go to and back from work. The scary thing is that I tried turning the AC to about 4/5 speed, it was a hot day so the temp is on Low, and I drove on the freeway about 50mph, and the energy consumption passed 900wh/mi and you cant see how high that number is because 900 is the cut off. See image attached. I hope someone can help me solve this issue.

Thanks

Attachments

• Image_20220622_134946.jpeg
    Image_20220622_134946.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 104
As someone mentioned above, if you are doing very low speed driving (e.g. a traffic jam) with the climate control running at full blast, the energy consumption of the climate control will be the big factor. Does this high energy consumption happen if you turn off all climate control (AC off, temperature set to the lowest possible to prevent heater use)?

Since it has only been happening for the past 1-2 months, how has the weather been recently compared to before?

Reactions: Big Earl
Thank you for your response, this been happening for the past 1-2 months. I drive the car everyday to work and on average about 65miles per day just to go to and back from work. The scary thing is that I tried turning the AC to about 4/5 speed, it was a hot day so the temp is on Low, and I drove on the freeway about 50mph, and the energy consumption passed 900wh/mi and you cant see how high that number is because 900 is the cut off. See image attached. I hope someone can help me solve this issue.

Thanks

Start with "stop looking at the 5 mile range". I am virtually certain that your 65 mile per day work and back commute does not show 900 wh/mi. If so, please show is a trip meter that shows that.

Otherwise, this falls into the "why is my car not getting rated range" which is a discussion for the thread here:

Reactions: Big Earl
I recently did my first AutoX, and found I used as much energy cooling the car (and myself) between heats as I did for the actual runs. In about 35 total minutes of AC use I used about 7% battery, and three 0.6mi runs, I used about 7%. So, that was total about 11,000Wh in about 2 miles :p .