Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on FSD and making a turn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I just got into the FSD beta a few days ago. So far it is pretty cool but you need to pay attention as everyone mentioned previously. My question is if I am just driving around town and am not using navigation (setting a destination), can I still hit the turn signal and let the car know I want to turn? It seemed like it did do that once or twice but other times it just blew right by the road I wanted to turn on. Can someone explain to me if this is a feature supported or was I just "lucky" it turned? Trying to understand how to use this without setting a destination each time I drive.

Thanks!

Reactions: Jane4
Hi everyone, I just got into the FSD beta a few days ago. So far it is pretty cool but you need to pay attention as everyone mentioned previously. My question is if I am just driving around town and am not using navigation (setting a destination), can I still hit the turn signal and let the car know I want to turn? It seemed like it did do that once or twice but other times it just blew right by the road I wanted to turn on. Can someone explain to me if this is a feature supported or was I just "lucky" it turned? Trying to understand how to use this without setting a destination each time I drive.

Thanks!
If you mean turn at an intersection, no it will not do that. But you can use it to change lanes on a multi-lane street.

I used the think it was making turns for me, then I realized it was only doing it junctions where it has no choice.
Like coming to a T junction while in the right lane and the only choices are left or right, it picks right but handles the signals and turn etc.
Pretty cool.
The lack of nav flexibility mean that every time I want a slightly different route, I will just drive manually until the nav figures it out.
For me the nav is the weakest link in FSD.

I used the think it was making turns for me, then I realized it was only doing it junctions where it has no choice.
Like coming to a T junction while in the right lane and the only choices are left or right, it picks right but handles the signals and turn etc.
Pretty cool.
The lack of nav flexibility mean that every time I want a slightly different route, I will just drive manually until the nav figures it out.
I think an upcoming update is going to offer 3 different routes on navigation, like Google Maps does.

Pretty cool.
Agree completely. Apparently 2022.36.x allows you to select from up to three alternate routes.

Reactions: Jane4
Agree completely. Apparently 2022.36.x allows you to select from up to three alternate routes.
That change actually happened in 2022.28.X I believe. I have it on my car now, and I do like it. But I'd like to have FSDb even more! I shouldn't have allowed my car to update to 2022.28.x! Hopefully FSDb 10.69.3 will be based on 2022.28.x so I'll have the best of both worlds!

Reactions: hydroEpower
My car updated 2 days before the FSD beta opened up to more ppl, i wasnt happy, lol
I read on one of these forums a while back that your car won't do a "normal" update if you are truly in the FSDb queue. I don't know if it's true, but my car is still running 2022.28.2, and hasn't updated to 2022.36.x despite so many other cars getting that update, so I'm foolishly optimistic this means my car is now in line to receive FSDb when it catches up to my 2022.28.2 thread. And I'm hoping that takes place when 10.69.3 is release in the next week or two.

I read on one of these forums a while back that your car won't do a "normal" update if you are truly in the FSDb queue. I don't know if it's true, but my car is still running 2022.28.2, and hasn't updated to 2022.36.x despite so many other cars getting that update, so I'm foolishly optimistic this means my car is now in line to receive FSDb when it catches up to my 2022.28.2 thread. And I'm hoping that takes place when 10.69.3 is release in the next week or two.
i heard that also. my car has not updated to 2022.36.x either and stuck on the same build. so im hoping i get it, lol im tired of giving the money just for summon and self parking

i heard that also. my car has not updated to 2022.36.x either and stuck on the same build. so im hoping i get it, lol im tired of giving the money just for summon and self parking
Be careful what you wish for.

I happen to be on the Beta. Yes, it does turns on city streets, with or without stoplights, goes around garbage trucks, and so on. Nice, huh?

It also makes the occasional attempt to, from a dead stop, to start up and run through a red light with traffic running at high speed. It will go smack down the middle of an unstriped road approaching the steep brow of a hill that very definitely has opposing traffic coming at one at speed.

On any given 12 to 20 mile trip, at minimum, I’m hitting the Record This button 5 times; at max, it’s more than 20. I’d estimate that 80% if those hits are just stupid stuff, like getting stuck in the wrong lane, or swerving all the way to the far right of a road when taking a left, causing other drivers behind one to honk and curse. (No, I don’t do that normally, I disengage if it tries that in traffic.)

Then there’s the 18% that would result in bent metal or traffic violations if the car was left to do what it wants. Driving on the left lane of a two lane road. Coming to a halt in superhighway merge traffic because it wants to merge, and there’s no room and the left lane traffic isn’t stopping.

And then there’s the 2%, like that run-the-red-light stuff. The release notes say, and I quote, ”The car will do the wrong thing at the wrong time.”, and they’re not kidding.

It’s kind of predictable, after a while, where the bad parts will be. But there’s always new incidents. And these can be at random, even in places where the car has handled it well before.

This makes driving the car under FSD-b something of a white-knuckle experience. It’s not relaxing. Any idiot who manages to defeat the steering wheel torque and eyeball tracking Pay Attention safety features so they can watch a video or fool with their cell is trying for a Darwin Award.

Having said all the above, and I’m deathly serious about it, FSD-b has been getting better. Instead of 5-20 interventions on the current release, the previous was more like 10-35. It actually, but rarely makes a 15 mile drive without interventions in 69.2.3, something unheard of before.

So why drive this gut-wrenching piece of software? Because, to get the full FSD software delivered, Tesla needs data, lots of data. They get that from testers. And we’re testing, not doing joy rides. With the intent that, eventually, our group efforts will result in a good enough FSD.

The software’s not ready for prime time. My opinion is that one can see that from here. There’s others on the 69.2 channel who aren’t too sure, but we’ll see. Nobody’s ever done this before, real drive-the-car software that can handle the real world, so it has a certain odor of a research project to it. Like I said, they are making progress, so that’s a good sign.

So, if you want to help, like to play with buggy, techie, newest stuff on Earth, then do the, “Request Beta” bit. If you just want the car to drive crosstown while you do other things.. don’t.

Reactions: Sharps97

I happen to be on the Beta. Yes, it does turns on city streets, with or without stoplights, goes around garbage trucks, and so on. Nice, huh?

It also makes the occasional attempt to, from a dead stop, to start up and run through a red light with traffic running at high speed. It will go smack down the middle of an unstriped road approaching the steep brow of a hill that very definitely has opposing traffic coming at one at speed.

On any given 12 to 20 mile trip, at minimum, I’m hitting the Record This button 5 times; at max, it’s more than 20. I’d estimate that 80% if those hits are just stupid stuff, like getting stuck in the wrong lane, or swerving all the way to the far right of a road when taking a left, causing other drivers behind one to honk and curse. (No, I don’t do that normally, I disengage if it tries that in traffic.)

Then there’s the 18% that would result in bent metal or traffic violations if the car was left to do what it wants. Driving on the left lane of a two lane road. Coming to a halt in superhighway merge traffic because it wants to merge, and there’s no room and the left lane traffic isn’t stopping.

And then there’s the 2%, like that run-the-red-light stuff. The release notes say, and I quote, ”The car will do the wrong thing at the wrong time.”, and they’re not kidding.

It’s kind of predictable, after a while, where the bad parts will be. But there’s always new incidents. And these can be at random, even in places where the car has handled it well before.

This makes driving the car under FSD-b something of a white-knuckle experience. It’s not relaxing. Any idiot who manages to defeat the steering wheel torque and eyeball tracking Pay Attention safety features so they can watch a video or fool with their cell is trying for a Darwin Award.

Having said all the above, and I’m deathly serious about it, FSD-b has been getting better. Instead of 5-20 interventions on the current release, the previous was more like 10-35. It actually, but rarely makes a 15 mile drive without interventions in 69.2.3, something unheard of before.

So why drive this gut-wrenching piece of software? Because, to get the full FSD software delivered, Tesla needs data, lots of data. They get that from testers. And we’re testing, not doing joy rides. With the intent that, eventually, our group efforts will result in a good enough FSD.

The software’s not ready for prime time. My opinion is that one can see that from here. There’s others on the 69.2 channel who aren’t too sure, but we’ll see. Nobody’s ever done this before, real drive-the-car software that can handle the real world, so it has a certain odor of a research project to it. Like I said, they are making progress, so that’s a good sign.

So, if you want to help, like to play with buggy, techie, newest stuff on Earth, then do the, “Request Beta” bit. If you just want the car to drive crosstown while you do other things.. don’t.
totally agree with that. im all in for beta testing this, done it for other companies, have been a passenger in an FSD car on an older build which was interesting and made me want to particpiate more to help get this further along. But like you say, the goal is to help get this out there into a release candidate form. Hopefully I gain access with the release thats supposed to come this week.

I also agree with Tronguy wholeheartedly. I've read enough on this forum to know that being a Beta tester can be aggravating, dangerous, etc. I'm a fairly careful driver, and where I live we don't get very much traffic and almost zero pedestrians, so I think my experience with FSDb might be slightly less "white knuckle" than most, but I'm under no illusion that it will allow me to surf the net on my phone while occasionally glancing up.

I'm definitely an early adopter who is excited by the chance to play a small part in help FSD to get better over time. My Safety Score is 99, and has been for months, and I really am not particularly trying to drive much differently than I normally would to keep that score. I do occasionally need to tap the brakes if something weird happens, and that dings my score a bit, but other than that I'm fine.

I'm hopeful I can join with 10.69.3! Bring it on, Elon!

hi sorry to hear you experience has been disappointing. I do agree that this is all a matter of expectations, one's comfort with the tech ( patience for the machine todo its thing,- like a teenager) and willing to tweak a few things ( like speed settings, camera calibration). I've had FSDb since the first few iterations they opened up and for me and in Virginia, nice sized roads, well painted road lines ( mostly), consistent signage, considerate drivers ( not a chance), the recent load has really really improved where I have recently had many local streets trips ( actual door to door into a parking lot of shops !) with zero interventions.
I used to have todo some thing on every trip, change lanes to a better lane, coax it through some left turns etc. but it is for me now really clean. Im actually putting in destinations trying to trip it up and recently I would say it has been 99.5 Percent no interventions. To get to the point I would do other things it would need to be 99.99 no intervention and for the average consumer it is going to need to be 99.9999 or better for a slew of edge cases. so yes , it is not "There" yet . maybe a couple of years? , depends on ones expectations at the moment. There seems to be some big variability to the experience which I guess will get lowered over time. Am I going to take a nap? nope! (maybe never) .... but I do marvel that it can do what it does rather smoothly now . hope it gets better for you . For me Im ready for merging the stacks and including parking lot summon . I can get out and it goes and finds a parking spot ( some thing that was on their website in 2017/2018 , which we all said yeah right!)

hi sorry to hear you experience has been disappointing. I do agree that this is all a matter of expectations, one's comfort with the tech ( patience for the machine todo its thing,- like a teenager) and willing to tweak a few things ( like speed settings, camera calibration). I've had FSDb since the first few iterations they opened up and for me and in Virginia, nice sized roads, well painted road lines ( mostly), consistent signage, considerate drivers ( not a chance), the recent load has really really improved where I have recently had many local streets trips ( actual door to door into a parking lot of shops !) with zero interventions.
I used to have todo some thing on every trip, change lanes to a better lane, coax it through some left turns etc. but it is for me now really clean. Im actually putting in destinations trying to trip it up and recently I would say it has been 99.5 Percent no interventions. To get to the point I would do other things it would need to be 99.99 no intervention and for the average consumer it is going to need to be 99.9999 or better for a slew of edge cases. so yes , it is not "There" yet . maybe a couple of years? , depends on ones expectations at the moment. There seems to be some big variability to the experience which I guess will get lowered over time. Am I going to take a nap? nope! (maybe never) .... but I do marvel that it can do what it does rather smoothly now . hope it gets better for you . For me Im ready for merging the stacks and including parking lot summon . I can get out and it goes and finds a parking spot ( some thing that was on their website in 2017/2018 , which we all said yeah right!)
Actually: On FSD-b the experience has not been disappointing. For what it is, it works fine. Heck, went to the doctor's office today, about 12 miles back and forth, and only had three interventions! That's maybe a hundred yards out of 12 miles.

That's fine. Those of us on FSD-b are there to test. But the person to whom I was responding was acting like.. FSD-b is Ready For Prime Time, and they wanted that Shiny New Software That They Had Paid For Right This Very Minute. With the implication that The Car Would Be Driving Them Around The Landscape While They Played On Their Cell Phone, or Watched Video.

So, I was trying to be clear: at the moment, FSD-b is Not Ready For Prime Time. Not paying attention, right now, is a good way to get a Darwin Award.

Now, in six months, maybe a year, FSD will be out of Beta status and we can all muck with videos and such while the car putters about. And, having said that, there's a ton of people on the 69.2.3 forum who think it may be years, or never; I'm not in that class, but that's me.

And the Beta has been getting better over time. 69.2.3 is smoother, handles more odd intersections, and has fewer disengagements and flat-out scares than the previous versions. There's good hope that it'll get better than that as the SW types as Tesla do their thing. But ready for prime time? Did you see the previous post of mine where I described where, from a dead halt, FSD-b was trying to drive straight into a red-light intersection with traffic going back and forth in front of me?

The Tesla people state that safety's their big thing. Actually, I tend to believe that. Which is why you can bet that those incidents (happened twice at the same spot on two different days) got several pushes of the Video Record button, each.

So, like I said: If one enjoys testing, likes helping push the state of the art forward (and benefiting oneself when the finished product appears), and likes playing with new, shiny, but buggy systems, then FSD-b is for you. If one wants to play video games: Nope.

Reactions: Charliek
Actually: On FSD-b the experience has not been disappointing. For what it is, it works fine. Heck, went to the doctor's office today, about 12 miles back and forth, and only had three interventions! That's maybe a hundred yards out of 12 miles.

That's fine. Those of us on FSD-b are there to test. But the person to whom I was responding was acting like.. FSD-b is Ready For Prime Time, and they wanted that Shiny New Software That They Had Paid For Right This Very Minute. With the implication that The Car Would Be Driving Them Around The Landscape While They Played On Their Cell Phone, or Watched Video.

So, I was trying to be clear: at the moment, FSD-b is Not Ready For Prime Time. Not paying attention, right now, is a good way to get a Darwin Award.

Now, in six months, maybe a year, FSD will be out of Beta status and we can all muck with videos and such while the car putters about. And, having said that, there's a ton of people on the 69.2.3 forum who think it may be years, or never; I'm not in that class, but that's me.

And the Beta has been getting better over time. 69.2.3 is smoother, handles more odd intersections, and has fewer disengagements and flat-out scares than the previous versions. There's good hope that it'll get better than that as the SW types as Tesla do their thing. But ready for prime time? Did you see the previous post of mine where I described where, from a dead halt, FSD-b was trying to drive straight into a red-light intersection with traffic going back and forth in front of me?

The Tesla people state that safety's their big thing. Actually, I tend to believe that. Which is why you can bet that those incidents (happened twice at the same spot on two different days) got several pushes of the Video Record button, each.

So, like I said: If one enjoys testing, likes helping push the state of the art forward (and benefiting oneself when the finished product appears), and likes playing with new, shiny, but buggy systems, then FSD-b is for you. If one wants to play video games: Nope.
If your initial response was for me then you couldn't be more wrong. I'm well aware that it's not ready for primetime and is a beta test and needs 100% attention to what's going on, as mentioned I've been in a friend's car that has it and drove around with it. I've seen the bugs, improvements and such and no it's far from ready from the primetime release people want it to be at. Also believe that the 80 safety score is too low for this test. At least 90 should be the lowest in my opinion. Your advice was good for the people that don't understand where its currently at.