Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Full Self Drive Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am shopping for a used Tesla and have seen a few at dealers. If I see this, does it mean that FSD is paid for regardless of software version and year?

Trying to target a late 2017 or newer vehicle with FSD already paid for so I can get HW3 when retrofits are rolled out.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Nav.jpg
    Nav.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 78
I am shopping for a used Tesla and have seen a few at dealers. If I see this, does it mean that FSD is paid for regardless of software version and year?

Trying to target a late 2017 or newer vehicle with FSD already paid for so I can get HW3 when retrofits are rolled out.

Thanks in advance

You are more likely to get a car with Enhanced AP from that time frame, which is not a bad thing. EAP provides all current FSD capabilities, with the exception of new HW3 traffic cone+ visualizations. At that time, spending $3,000 more for FSD was literally paying for promise of future capabilities (still is for that matter). The true downside of "only" having EAP is that the car won't be on list for HW3 upgrade.

Also, please note that MCU2 was released in March 2018, and that really does make a difference in terms of MCU performance and longevity (+ working browser, goofy games). I would focus on ensuring MCU2, AP2.5 and EAP to get the most value now. FSD will eventually support non-highway driving, but IMO that's not a high-value use case (at least for another 3-4 years).

Of course, I'm biased because that's what I bought :)

Thanks for the reply guys.

So my intention was to get Dashcam and Sentry with local recording which means I'd need to find something in the last week of August 2017, please correct me if I am wrong.

But SoCal, you brought up a good point about MCU2, I remember thinking about that and definitely would like to have that. I believe that puts the build date at Feb 2018 or later, again please correct me if I am wrong. What does it cost to upgrade to FSD for you Socal?

Last question, I thought in 2018 they removed Navigate from Autopilot from EAP and made it a FSD feature, or was that in 2019?

I think MCU2 was Mar 2018, but there may be some built around that time that go either way.

Edit - and the window sticker does not guarantee that a feature still there, much like someone may have swapped the rims on a car during it's life. Cars repurchased and then sold by Tesla may have it removed. Safest bet is to call Tesla, but even then they may not be forthcoming.

Thanks for the reply guys.

So my intention was to get Dashcam and Sentry with local recording which means I'd need to find something in the last week of August 2017, please correct me if I am wrong.

But SoCal, you brought up a good point about MCU2, I remember thinking about that and definitely would like to have that. I believe that puts the build date at Feb 2018 or later, again please correct me if I am wrong. What does it cost to upgrade to FSD for you Socal?

Last question, I thought in 2018 they removed Navigate from Autopilot from EAP and made it a FSD feature, or was that in 2019?

MCU2 definitely occurred during March 2018, so you need to check. I might be wrong, but I think MCU2 is required for the Dashcam / Sentry functions as well(?). Anyway, I would not buy a car without MCU2 at this point. It also theoretically resolves the MCU flash issue, with substantial memory upgrade.

NoAP was still part of EAP as of Sept. 2018; I think the transition to FSD happened in early 2019, along with other dramatic base price changes, option simplification and no more Pano's that open.

Last edited:
I think the case where a buyer lost FSD was a "corner case" that wasn't handled very well, promptly, by Tesla.

That said it's hard to know what features a car has, especially if you don't buy directly from Tesla. If you buy from Tesla then the most detailed info is over at https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

I took delivery of a 2016 S 75D with FSD today that I bought directly from Tesla after finding it through https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

I used https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ to make sure the car was not _only_ FSD capable but that it also had it enabled. If it was only FSD Capable then I added $7000 to its cost in my table. I could then see and filter on other options I wanted (winter package and full glass roof).

I bought a Tesla with FSD enabled and as soon as I paid the $100 I got an e-mail that confirmed that the option was indeed included.
The person at Tesla handling by case also confirmed it to me and today when I took delivery it had FSD which is also shown on the purchase agreement.

Another thing I learned is that Tesla lowers its used car price $500 each day until it sells. So if you are patient you can wait until you find a good price for a car you like.

Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
MCU2 definitely occurred during March 2018, so you need to check. I might be wrong, but I think MCU2 is required for the Dashcam / Sentry functions as well(?). Anyway, I would not buy a car without MCU2 at this point. It also theoretically resolves the MCU flash issue, with substantial memory upgrade.

NoAP was still part of EAP as of Sept. 2018; I think the transition to FSD happened in early 2019, along with other dramatic base price changes, option simplification and no more Pano's that open.

AP2.5 is the requirement for Dashcam/Sentry Mode video recording, not the MCU.

Ive got a Feb 2018 Model S with MCU1, but use the dashcam and Sentry features (no rear video though, just front and both sides).

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz