Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Infotainment vs FSD Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mt21

Oct 18, 2017
Nj
I have a 2017 Model S 100D AP2.5 w/ EAP. I was considering getting the infotainment upgrade and was also looking at the FSD computer just to get it all done at once. I was setting up an appointment for the upgrade and was told that doing the infotainment upgrade will include the new FSD computer chip for the $2k charge. Can someone confirm if the service rep is correct as I was under the impression they were two completely separate upgrades.

I am completely new to the Tesla game and in no way an expert. But I was under the impression that just because you had FSD capability doesn't mean you have FSD. I thought I remember hearing you had to pay $10,000 to activate it? I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

I have a 2017 Model S 100D AP2.5 w/ EAP. I was considering getting the infotainment upgrade and was also looking at the FSD computer just to get it all done at once. I was setting up an appointment for the upgrade and was told that doing the infotainment upgrade will include the new FSD computer chip for the $2k charge. Can someone confirm if the service rep is correct as I was under the impression they were two completely separate upgrades.
Yes, the infotainment upgrade to MCU2 includes free upgrade to HW3.
The above does not give you FSD unless you purchase or subscribe to it (but will give you dashcam if you did not have it already).
You have EAP, so I believe subscription is half-price for you ($99 instead of $199 per month).
If you purchase FSD, Tesla will also upgrade your repeater and front cameras if they are old spec (i.e. pre September 2017 for model S) for free.
If you only subscribe to FSD, I recommend paying for upgrading the cameras for full features (probably around $1000)

Last edited:
I've got a 2013 P85+ and have had multiple software upgrades and three hardware upgrades - 3G > LTE, MCU1 > MCU2 and the drivers door handle upgraded from ver. 1 to ver. 3 when it broke. Considering that my car is nine years old I have no complaints on the price of the upgrades. :)

Oh, and did have a couple of loaners during the upgrades and didn't really care for FDS.

Hi I have a Dec 2017 Tesla Model S 75 D. The car is equipped with 2.5 AP. EAP and FSD was paid for at time of purchase. Can someone please confirm if I upgrade the infotainment system, then will they also do a free upgrade to Full Self Driving (HW3.0) or is this a paid service?

Also as FSD was paid for during car purchase, should Tesla be proving a free FSH hardware upgrade.

What is the cost to upgrade the infotainment system is it needed for FSD 3.0? Also how much for getting FM/AM/ XM with infotainment system upgrade?

Also as FSD was paid for during car purchase, should Tesla be proving a free FSH hardware upgrade.
Once you paid FSD already, you can book for FSD hardware upgrade for free.

This upgrade is separate from Infotainment so you make sure you ask for both Infotainment and FSD Computer.
What is the cost to upgrade the infotainment system is it needed for FSD 3.0? Also how much for getting FM/AM/ XM with infotainment system upgrade?

It's at:

"This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen."

"The Radio Upgrade costs an additional $500 plus applicable tax and there is no difference in price if you have the Radio Upgrade and Infotainment Upgrade installed separately or together."

if I upgrade the infotainment system, then will they also do a free upgrade to Full Self Driving (HW3.0) or is this a paid service?...
Not automatically. You need to ask both to be done or otherwise, they think you only want Infotainment this time.

Since you paid FSD already,

HW3 is free.

Infotainment is extra charge.

Once you paid FSD already, you can book for FSD hardware upgrade for free.

This upgrade is separate from Infotainment so you make sure you ask for both Infotainment and FSD Computer.

It's at:

"This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen."

"The Radio Upgrade costs an additional $500 plus applicable tax and there is no difference in price if you have the Radio Upgrade and Infotainment Upgrade installed separately or together."

Not automatically. You need to ask both to be done or otherwise, they think you only want Infotainment this time.

Since you paid FSD already,

HW3 is free.

Infotainment is extra charge.
I have a 2016 MS with FSD purchased at that time. I have HW2, no infotainment upgrade, and no camera upgrade. I'm getting conflicting information on what exactly I need for V11 FSD. I've been told the infotainment is necessary for FSD, which I must pay for. Is that true? I don't need the infotainment upgrade otherwise. Should I get everything I need, for no additional charge, to enable V11 FSD?

Last edited:
I have a 2016 MS with FSD purchased at that time. I have HW2, no infotainment upgrade, and no camera upgrade. I'm getting conflicting information on what exactly I need for V11 FSD. I've been told the infotainment is necessary for FSD, which I must pay for. Is that true? I don't need the infotainment upgrade otherwise. Should I get everything I need, for no additional charge, to enable V11 FSD?
Tesla has recently confirmed that MCU1 will work with FSD - so you should be enabled to get free camera and HW3 AP processor upgrades. Be aware that the dashcam feature works poorly with MCU1, and you will not get the more advanced colorful FSD display in the instrument cluster. Neither of these affects FSD driving.

...conflicting information on what exactly I need for V11 FSD...
There's theoretical info like you can summon your car across the US and it will charge itself along the way but there's also practical info that you might have to wait a very long time for that to happen.

That's the same with paying your FSD in 2016 with the theoretical info that your money has already paid for an FSD but for practical purpose, some people went ahead and pay additionally in order to get the current firmware version of FSD.

If you want it right now, you need everything.

Infotainment upgrade
HW3
Camera upgrades

Tesla is still maintaining that at some point in the future FSD will work with MCU1 (although without any of the instrument cluster visualizations). You can hold your breath if you want to and keep waiting…

It seems obvious that you don’t like this response as it’s been explained now about 10 times now in this thread and the other one that you started, yet you keep asking. That isn’t going to change the answer.

Buy the infotainment upgrade or keep waiting. Those are the only options as of today.

Last edited:
It seems obvious that you don’t like this response as it’s been explained now about 10 times now in this thread and the other one that you started, yet you keep asking. That isn’t going to change the answer.
Not so much I don't like the answer. It is what it is. I just have conflicting answers. The Tesla Mobile tech gave me a different answer. vcor above "seems" a bit different in regards to MCU1. Or maybe it is just a difference in availability. If I can use MCU1 with FSD that is my preference. It would depend on how long I needed to wait. In any case, thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Not so much I don't like the answer. It is what it is. I just have conflicting answers. The Tesla Mobile tech gave me a different answer. vcor above "seems" a bit different in regards to MCU1. Or maybe it is just a difference in availability. If I can use MCU1 with FSD that is my preference. It would depend on how long I needed to wait. In any case, thanks for your reply.

Like I said, my answer is based on “right now”. If you want it now, you need all the things listed above. There is no FSD beta build for MCU1. It doesn’t exist, as of today. You must have HW3, MCU2, and the AP2.5+ RCCB cameras. That is the only way.

Vcor is referencing a recent post on the forum where someone got an answer from someone with a Tesla email address saying an MCU1 FSD build may be coming “in a few weeks.” That may be true, it may not. Nobody knows.

The only definitive path available today involves MCU2. So the choice is upgrade or keep waiting for an undetermined amount of time. That is the only answer.

Reactions: Bob12