Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Insurance

srnewby54

OD 8/20 |MYLR7 |Blu/Bl |19 |MO I EDD 11/8-12/6
Jul 23, 2021
Independence, MO
I am somewhat confused and hope the folks here can enlighten me.

I placed my order for a Model Y LR late yesterday afternoon. Got a "thank you for your order" email yesterday evening. This morning I had another email from Tesla that talked about prepare for delivery. One of the items mentioned in that email is to provide insurance details. I looked all through my profile that I completed when I placed the order and saw nothing about insurance. Also when I checked with my insurance agent she said she will need a VIN to insure the car.

When does the insurance become important in the ordering and delivery process? I would think it wouldn't matter until I get a VIN, but I could be wrong. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.

happyyanyan

MYLR, red, 19”, black interior, 5 seats, OD 4/24
Aug 3, 2021
Rocklin, CA
I am somewhat confused and hope the folks here can enlighten me.

I placed my order for a Model Y LR late yesterday afternoon. Got a "thank you for your order" email yesterday evening. This morning I had another email from Tesla that talked about prepare for delivery. One of the items mentioned in that email is to provide insurance details. I looked all through my profile that I completed when I placed the order and saw nothing about insurance. Also when I checked with my insurance agent she said she will need a VIN to insure the car.

When does the insurance become important in the ordering and delivery process? I would think it wouldn't matter until I get a VIN, but I could be wrong. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.
You need to upload your current insurance card - that’s it.

OCJeff

OD: 6/4 MYLR5 White/White/20” Del. 9/16
Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
@happyyanyan. Where in the profile do I upload it. I don't see anywhere in my profile where it says anything about insurance.
Did you already confirm all details (Registration details, pick up location, trade in, payment method (cash))? Once that is all done then you will have a place to submit the insurance details.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
When I placed my last two online orders I had to upload a photo of my current insured car. I think they can't let you drive off the lot without insurance or something. The car doesn't need to be added to the policy before you get it. Even when I had the VIN before the car was ready for pickup my insurance company wanted to see the actual car after I picked it up. There was no rush either, I have li8ke a week or something.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
Did you already confirm all details (Registration details, pick up location, trade in, payment method (cash))? Once that is all done then you will have a place to submit the insurance details.
He mentioned he only just put the order in the day before. He's not that far along in the process.

G2bme

Jun 12, 2021
Los Angeles
i'm wondering for states that don't need the Y on the insurance policy, is the order not considered complete until the insurance is uploaded?

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
I was required to provide a copy of my current and valid insurance card as part of the order checklist items.

My insurance wouldn’t add to policy even when I had the VIN. Needed to wait until after I took possession.

In California.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC