Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on iOS App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I own my first Tesla, 2021 Plaid. And I just bought my wife a 21 model Y. My question is that we’re both using my email address to login to the Tesla app on our phones. Is there a better way to do this where she has her own account and is there any benefits to that? I’d also like to ask being the new to Tesla, is there anyway that the vehicle will automatically recognize my phone or my wife’s phone whoever’s approaching the model S or the model Y, and adjust the user profile accordingly? My wife is about 5‘4“ and I am 6‘4“. So if I try to get into her car after she’s been in it I’m wedged in there . I usually have to reach across the car and click on the screen while I stand outside. But I’m just trying to find out if there’s a better way to manage this. My final question is I know that my wife’s model Y doesn’t come with the automatic garage door opener feature, but my plan does. I’ve gone through the set up numerous times and I’ve walked through the steps on the screen and each time the screen recognizes the opener and does everything and looks like it should work, but it never opens the garage or closes the garage. Any suggestions? Thank you guys, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area .

Regarding a separate account for your wife, yes, you can set it up that way. You can do that yourself via your Tesla web account. On the vehicle details page (I think) there’s a link to add another driver. You can give your wife’s account access to just her car or both. Note that secondary accounts don’t get the ability to schedule service or request roadside assistance, if I recall correctly.

Regarding having the car recognize which phone is approaching and selecting the correct profile, it already works that way. However, if both of your phones are within Bluetooth range when either of you approach the car, the car might use the wrong one.

Regarding the Homelink issue, does your garage opener have a learn button, and are you using that correctly? Even if you are, sometimes it takes several attempts to successfully set up Homelink.

Regarding a separate account for your wife, yes, you can set it up that way. You can do that yourself via your Tesla web account. On the vehicle details page (I think) there’s a link to add another driver. You can give your wife’s account access to just her car or both. Note that secondary accounts don’t get the ability to schedule service or request roadside assistance, if I recall correctly.

Regarding having the car recognize which phone is approaching and selecting the correct profile, it already works that way. However, if both of your phones are within Bluetooth range when either of you approach the car, the car might use the wrong one.

Regarding the Homelink issue, does your garage opener have a learn button, and are you using that correctly? Even if you are, sometimes it takes several attempts to successfully set up Homelink.
Thank you for your time to answer all my questions. I have noticed that even though I said her phone as the primary phone for her car and my phone is the primary phone for my car if she walks up to my car to drive it and I stay inside it still doesn’t move the seat up for her. Wasn’t sure if it was a software issue or if it just wasn’t working correctly. Same for me if I walk up to her car all by myself it does not move the seats back for me. I’ll take a look at the garage door opener issue we definitely have a learn button and I followed all the steps on the screen where the headlights flash to acknowledge the remote, and then I press the learn button and hit continue and it says it gets that signal as well. But it never actually opens or closes the garage. I’ll keep trying and see what happens. Thank you so much for the answer

My wife and I both use her Model 3 and have separate profiles. The correct profile is selected more often than not, but not always. I haven’t detected a specific pattern when it doesn’t work.

When you use the learn button on many garage door openers, once the opener detects a new remote (or HomeLink device) the garage opener light will flash. Is that happening in your case when the car sends the signal to the opener? Another thing to try is putting fresh batteries in the remote you’re using to program the car. Weak batteries can make it harder to program.

Nothing to do with IOS, but ISTM that the seat etc will return to the profile of the last user in the vehicle. If I get in The Blue Bunny, I have to stop the procedure and select my profile if I don't want to get squashed against the wheel.

And mindful of a certain occurrence when first married, (involving the seat on the porcelain convenience), I always set her profile active before I exit the vehicle.
That was 50 years ago, and I still get a twinge in humid weather...

Congrats on the new cars, by the way. When I picked up The Good Ship Venus in Feb of 2020, I was strongly encouraged to order The Blue Bunny at breakfast the next morning. It started when I picked up TGSV - "Oh, aren't those blue ones pretty?"... Then at lunch - "Didn't you think those blue ones were pretty? You know, I drove that Tesla you rented and there is really nothing complicated about it"... Rinse and repeat at dinner. Then at breakfast the next morning came the coup de grace: "What do you think they would give us for the Caddy?". An hour later I had The Blue Bunny on order. After 50 years, I catch on to some things.

Sounds like you really made the right move. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nothing to do with IOS, but ISTM that the seat etc will return to the profile of the last user in the vehicle. If I get in The Blue Bunny, I have to stop the procedure and select my profile if I don't want to get squashed against the wheel.

And mindful of a certain occurrence when first married, (involving the seat on the porcelain convenience), I always set her profile active before I exit the vehicle.
That was 50 years ago, and I still get a twinge in humid weather...

Congrats on the new cars, by the way. When I picked up The Good Ship Venus in Feb of 2020, I was strongly encouraged to order The Blue Bunny at breakfast the next morning. It started when I picked up TGSV - "Oh, aren't those blue ones pretty?"... Then at lunch - "Didn't you think those blue ones were pretty? You know, I drove that Tesla you rented and there is really nothing complicated about it"... Rinse and repeat at dinner. Then at breakfast the next morning came the coup de grace: "What do you think they would give us for the Caddy?". An hour later I had The Blue Bunny on order. After 50 years, I catch on to some things.

Sounds like you really made the right move. Enjoy!
LOL. Thank you for that post. I appreciate the insight and it is noted! Love the 🚽 reference, it brought it all together for me! Thank you again. Made me smile.

Reactions: drdumont