Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on kind of roughness on gas pedal when coming to stop / starting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it doesnt allow one pedal driving. and you have to hold the car manually on hills by riding the accelerator pad. Otherwise you get roll back.

Yes, you have to use the brake to bring it to a stop from 5 MPH when regen fades out. Above 5 MPH you can do everything with one pedal just like with hold mode.

No, you don’t have to hold the car on hills with the brake pedal. The car goes into auto-hold as soon as it comes to a stop and you can take your foot off the pedal.

Yes, you have to use the brake to bring it to a stop from 5 MPH when regen fades out. Above 5 MPH you can do everything with one pedal just like with hold mode.

No, you don’t have to hold the car on hills with the brake pedal. The car goes into auto-hold as soon as it comes to a stop and you can take your foot off the pedal.

they must have patched that in, i dont think roll mode used to do that. also it doesnt allow for smooth braking because normally in a car you press the brake and once a car is less than 5km/h or so you put the car into neutral (not in a tesla obviously) and let it roll out naturally for a supersoft stop. If you do that it wont activate the hillstart assist/hold mode. if you come to stop on a hill you either have to press the brake pedal for a few seconds to activate holdmode or you have to ride the accelerator pedal gently to hold it on a hill.

That said ive been toying with going back to rollmode for a while - i think its actually healthy for the foot and ankle to alternate between brake and accelerator pedal. I find the foot goes a bit stiff hovering over the accelerator pedal all the time.

they must have patched that in, i dont think roll mode used to do that. also it doesnt allow for smooth braking because normally in a car you press the brake and once a car is less than 5km/h or so you put the car into neutral (not in a tesla obviously) and let it roll out naturally for a supersoft stop. If you do that it wont activate the hillstart assist/hold mode. if you come to stop on a hill you either have to press the brake pedal for a few seconds to activate holdmode or you have to ride the accelerator pedal gently to hold it on a hill.
Some of the very early Model 3 software required a little extra pressure on the brake pedal to get auto-hold to apply. Now it activates consistently at every stop those that only require very light brake pedal pressure. I prefer it because it allows for a very smooth stop - I apply the brake just enough for a silky smooth stop and then auto-hold takes over from there. I tried hold mode when they first introduced it and found it to not be as smooth as I can be when I'm in control of the brakes with roll mode.

That said ive been toying with going back to rollmode for a while - i think its actually healthy for the foot and ankle to alternate between brake and accelerator pedal. I find the foot goes a bit stiff hovering over the accelerator pedal all the time.

Agreed 100%!

When using ROLL or CREEP mode and stopped at a light, car can be put in HOLD so you won’t roll on an incline by pressing firmly on the brake pedal until the (H) icon appears on the screen (upper left corner) where your speed would be if you were moving.
From the manual: 5200BD77-09F0-4E8D-A7DF-ADC60802C8FD.png