Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on kind of roughness on gas pedal when coming to stop / starting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I was wondering if it's normal to have a little kind of 'roughness or like notchiness' that occurs when coming to a complete stop with your foot slightly resting on the gas pedal. I've noticed this recently and wanted to make sure it was normal. It kind of feels like some soft notching going on slightly for a very brief period of time.

Thanks for any input!

Mia.

Reactions: play150
During the beginning of your braking the electric motor slows you down then toward the end as you're going slower your physical brakes start to engage. Your brakes may need to be looked at. Might need to lube calipers and resurface rotors if it's your brakes that are causing the roughness/notching.

Reactions: miss demeanor
During the beginning of your braking the electric motor slows you down then toward the end as you're going slower your physical brakes start to engage. Your brakes may need to be looked at. Might need to lube calipers and resurface rotors if it's your brakes that are causing the roughness/notching.
It's not when braking or slowing down, it's literally right when the car reaches a complete stop that I feel it on the gas pedal. It's not anything super rough and could probably be ignored but it feels slightly rough like there's some motion or vibration coming from gas pedal when it reaches a complete stop. It isn't constant either it lasts maybe a quarter of a second and stops.

I had that exact same dilemma, it was a very obvious transition from the regen braking to the brakes taking over. You could hear and feel the transition take place.

Fast forward 2,000 miles, it almost feels "broken in". The transition is not nearly as rough and the sound is greatly reduced. I imagine it's normal and this will get better over time.

The gauss pedal isn't connected to anything but perhaps yours is faulty and doesn't move freely? Check it out with your hand and make sure it isn't binding in any way.

The brakes are robotically applied as you slow from 5mph to 0mph and should perform pretty smoothly and seamlessly. Perhaps your brakes are generating some harshness that is transmitting thru the chassis and you're only detecting it with your foot? You could try putting it in coast mode and doing a bunch of stops with the brake pedal to see if there's a correlation.

Lastly, if your foot is "resting" on the pedal you might be applying a slight input that is driving the computer crazy as it tries to modulate the brakes just perfectly.

The gauss pedal isn't connected to anything but perhaps yours is faulty and doesn't move freely? Check it out with your hand and make sure it isn't binding in any way.

The brakes are robotically applied as you slow from 5mph to 0mph and should perform pretty smoothly and seamlessly. Perhaps your brakes are generating some harshness that is transmitting thru the chassis and you're only detecting it with your foot? You could try putting it in coast mode and doing a bunch of stops with the brake pedal to see if there's a correlation.

Lastly, if your foot is "resting" on the pedal you might be applying a slight input that is driving the computer crazy as it tries to modulate the brakes just perfectly.
I wish there was some way I could like convey exactly what is happening but as it's a feeling type of thing I can't like make a video of it :( . I'll try a few things and see if I can replicate it consistently and maybe take it to a SC so they can replicate it.

I wish there was some way I could like convey exactly what is happening but as it's a feeling type of thing I can't like make a video of it :( . I'll try a few things and see if I can replicate it consistently and maybe take it to a SC so they can replicate it.

I think I understand what you’re describing - an unevenness when approaching a complete stop, which is a function of the car automatically applying the brakes when you reach 0 MPH.

Please try changing to creep or roll modes and see if that addresses your concern. If so, what you’re feeling is pretty normal.

I think I understand what you’re describing - an unevenness when approaching a complete stop, which is a function of the car automatically applying the brakes when you reach 0 MPH.

Please try changing to creep or roll modes and see if that addresses your concern. If so, what you’re feeling is pretty normal.
I’m with Big Earl on this one; I can feel it too. I just consider it part of the nature of the beast. I like HOLD mode, I enjoy getting the timing right when taking my foot off the go pedal at precisely the right point for regen & auto hold to stop & hold me where I want to wind up. Yeah I’m easily amused. I also like not having to hold my foot on the brake, and driving all over town without touching the brake pedal.

I’m with Big Earl on this one; I can feel it too. I just consider it part of the nature of the beast. I like HOLD mode, I enjoy getting the timing right when taking my foot off the go pedal at precisely the right point for regen & auto hold to stop & hold me where I want to wind up. Yeah I’m easily amused. I also like not having to hold my foot on the brake, and driving all over town without touching the brake pedal.
Agreed, I love the hold function, it's wonderful!

I'll try changing it just for arguments sake though!!

Reactions: Gimmethecash
I know what you feel, i've played with it at stop lights.
when your HOLD takes you out of your roll, the motors are still moving so you feel a slight vibration on your gas pedal.
regen braking does not use your brakes but the motor itself slows down, when regen reaches the point for HOLD to take over, thats when the brakes clamp your rotors < and thats when the transition is felt on the gas pedal.

Edit: i'm ashamed of myself for using the term 'gas' pedal

Last edited: